Why bury?

1FinickyOne

In true Christian belief, the second coming of Jesus will involve each and every believer being resurrected and given eternal life in the garden of eden to which the earth shall be returned. Hence, no body, no resurrection, no eternal life in the garden.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes being buried alive would be horrible, but aren’t you talking about what happens after you have ceased to live, i.e. you would be buried dead wouldn’t you? 
On the other hand, imagine being burned alive!

The obvious retort; you are of no use to man nor beast being cremated. You have wasted a huge amount of energy and warmed the earth just that little bit more, for what, ego? Being buried takes up space, yes, but also nourishes the ground and the entities that live within it. Give back ????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

For some, possibly their only contribution to society ... ????

Recall one farang lived Pattaya perhaps 30 years, didn't have one friend, neighbors noticed smell called police, they tried to pin down any farang friends, none.

Embassy found a brother in US, he responded on phone with yes my older brother, please don't call me again, bye. No cash or bank books in the old dirty house, had a reputation for ordering food in restaurants then refusing to pay for half the dishes because he claimed something wrong. Never served again. Abusive to shop workers and taxi drivers in Bkk, tried to negotiate down from what was on the meter.

Most/all of his pension spent on young Thai boys who he 'invaded' they gave them 50Baht and pushed out the door. When the cops were at the house checking for documents etc., several young boys approached the cops asking for the money for their unpaid services. Cops asked the neighbors about same subject they confirmed a string of young boys almost every day.  

Thai cops eventually paid for a paupers cremation, nobody attended, ashes thrown in rubbish bin.

Edited by scorecard
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, timendres said:

In true Christian belief, the second coming of Jesus will involve each and every believer being resurrected and given eternal life in the garden of eden to which the earth shall be returned. Hence, no body, no resurrection, no eternal life in the garden.

It is rather odd that some believe in such that a body can be resurrected after...10-100?? years of being buried yet a body turned to ash cannot? Limited second coming powers eh?

That aside there are many that believe in what your saying but not literally instead they believe that it takes 3 days to vacate the shell that use to be your vehicle...

to be resurrected if you will....so they request their remains not to be touched for three days. Meaning no burial,no cremation, no embalming etc Rather similar to the Thai version of party a few days while monks chant & while your left alone in the cooler box

To those who said burial is good for the soil....Ummm have you seen some of those battlestar galactica  caskets they use?

Man it will take a century to rot those ...So maybe not too good for the soil eh?

Lastly to those who say it is nice to have a burial plot for family to visit ...That is a bit sad isn't it for them to think your trapped there in a box for all eternity?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, timendres said:

ok - but if G-d is all loving and powerful, he would not leave anyone behind for silly reasons or for what other people did to them after death - right? 

1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

"For me, and most I would think, being buried alive would be a horrible thing... why would anyone want to be buried after they are dead"

Going by that logic, then you'd be even more against cremation, since being burnt alive wouldn't be too much fun either!

It would be quicker - and done with - - 

11 hours ago, timendres said:

Well that's the best reason to be cremated I've ever heard.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I prefer to be buried , no religious reasons , I have my plot waiting

in the Foreign cemetery here in Chiang Mai, hope I don't need it for

a few more years yet ,....thinking of having a wire from the coffin ,up

top to a bell..... just in case  ???? 

regards worgeordie

Probably a month after your burial someone will say: That old fool was ringing the bell even after he died as if he didn't do enough of that when he was alive. He did it for a week of two but finally it is quiet again. ???? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have no particular religious beliefs, but I don't understand burying people.

I can understand those that wish to grieve, or in these times of Covid need to travel to see relatives etc.

In Thailand it's not unheard of to be buried for a specified time, then exhumed and cremated after.

That would make sense.

My family know that I want a cheap cremation at the local Wat. My ashes divvied up. Half to go back to the UK to be scattered in the crematorium gardens, where my first wife, the mother of my children are scattered. The remainder scattered on the sea in Sattahip Bay. Where I will join my mother who had the same treatment twenty one years ago after enjoying her last years in Thailand. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

Good nutrients for the soil....

It would be good nutrients for the soil, but those same nutrients only go on to nourish the grass and other plant life within the confines of the graveyard. I agree with @1FinickyOne, graveyards are a waste of valuable land.

If I were back in the UK I would opt for a 'meadow burial' where the site is left to nature. Now that would satisfy the 'good nutrients' argument. Second to that would be a burial at sea, or maybe a sky burial, as practiced by some Asian cultures.

As it stands, it looks like I'll be going up the chimney at our local monastery.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Recall one farang lived Pattaya perhaps 30 years, didn't have one friend, neighbors noticed smell called police, they tried to pin down any farang friends, none.

Embassy found a brother in US, he responded on phone with yes my older brother, please don't call me again, bye. No cash or bank books in the old dirty house, had a reputation for ordering food in restaurants then refusing to pay for half the dishes because he claimed something wrong. Never served again. Abusive to shop workers and taxi drivers in Bkk, tried to negotiate down from what was on the meter.

Most/all of his pension spent on young Thai boys who he 'invaded' they gave them 50Baht and pushed out the door. When the cops were at the house checking for documents etc., several young boys approached the cops asking for the money for their unpaid services. Cops asked the neighbors about same subject they confirmed a string of young boys almost every day.  

Thai cops eventually paid for a paupers cremation, nobody attended, ashes thrown in rubbish bin.

Happy Christmas!

14 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You ever tried buying land in China? A lot of Chinese wealth sloshing around and they want somewhere to put their dead so they can go visit.

In fact the dead and the living are taking over........

3 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

"For me, and most I would think, being buried alive would be a horrible thing... why would anyone want to be buried after they are dead"

Going by that logic, then you'd be even more against cremation, since being burnt alive wouldn't be too much fun either!

True but at least with cremation someone might hear you yelling...Ouch..ouch...fookin ouch ????

Buried none will hear you yelling...who turned out the lights?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

For me, and most I would think, being buried alive would be a horrible thing... why would anyone want to be buried after they are dead? It seems very confining and a waste of good land too... 

Typically, if you are buried after you are dead there is little chance of being buried alive.  So you have little to worry about. 

I think we should either process bodies into food or burn them as fuel.   

History answers why people are/were buried.  When people died in the old days they had to get rid of the bodies,  Non Native North Americans did not want to burn the bodies as they felt that the person should go to the after life whole.  Burial was the quickest and easiest method.  Now we are seeing that most people are being cremated There are still cremation burial plots but they can be closer together and take up less land.

22 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It doesn’t waste the land it fertilizes it and is a very hygiene way of containing a dangerous bio hazard.

So which is it ? Good fertiliser or bio hazard? Can't be both. Don't see many farms on top of cemeteries either to be honest.

4 minutes ago, starky said:

So which is it ? Good fertiliser or bio hazard? Can't be both. Don't see many farms on top of cemeteries either to be honest.

Perhaps this is the answer: https://www.loop-of-life.com/product

Presenting the Loop of Life, Living Cocoon, Living Coffin made of mushroom fibers. Contact with groundwater upon burial reactivate the mushroom spores and it comes alive. Within 45 days...poof!...you are at one with nature!

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Not sure of this, but if I remember correctly, that is done when there was some sort of irregular unpleasant death.?? 

Yes, usually when the death was an accident or unexpected.

A local woman to me was killed in a motorbike accident a few months back, she was buried in concrete water tube sections to be exhumed in 3 years, the remains then cremated.

Something to do with her spirit not knowing it was dead and the chance of it haunting the village if burnt too quickly.