Test and Go suspension: Thai Chamber of Commerce sees minimal impact on economy of "correct decision"

webfact

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

That's a lovely looking shirt he's wearing, but I find that type of Thai silk garment tends to chafe. 

I concur.

I also found the Filipino Barong made from pineapple leaf fibers equally uncomfortable. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that foreign tourists would come to Thailand in the second quarter next year - from March.

He anticipated 5-6 million next year.

Perhaps. Unless the government does yet another flip-flop, of course. And as we have repeatedly seen, these DO happen all too frequently.

4 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

But it does give the Government an excuse to suspend (even cancel) Thailand Pass, which was not working, without losing face for a stupid idea in the first place.

What was so stupid about it? Easier than the COE process.  Have you done either or just doomsday like most here

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The head of the Thai Chamber of Commerce Sanan Angubonkul told Manager that the suspension of Test and Go until January 4th would have only a minimal impact on the Thai economy.

Interesting, so January 4 is the important day to watch out for, the peak of the high season.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that foreign tourists would come to Thailand in the second quarter next year - from March.

Also interesting, they're not coming until March, the start of the low season.

This suggests to me that this guy knows exactly what's coming on or before January 4 which is less than 2 weeks away - an extension of the 'Test and Go' suspension, until at least March.

This is is in line with my expectations. I wouldn't be making any travel plans at all right now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

" tourists would come to Thailand in the second quarter next year - from March"

March is still the first quarter.

Probably he means April.

Maybe he is still hoping that the Chinese millions will come in February...

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The head of the Thai Chamber of Commerce Sanan Angubonkul told Manager that the suspension of Test and Go until January 4th would have only a minimal impact on the Thai economy.

Sadly, none of the pandemic or Thai travel restrictions will have any effect on his and his cronies' salaries whilst many members of the Thai public suffer enormous hardships with little, if any, assistance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

But it does give the Government an excuse to suspend (even cancel) Thailand Pass, which was not working, without losing face for a stupid idea in the first place.

Definitely an easy out to avoid loss of face. The (inflated) projected numbers just weren't coming under Thai Pass. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, thaiman said:

Exactly. 

Thailand doesn't need tourism.  It hasn't had any for nearly 2 years and everyone seems to be ok.

How many people do you see starving now in Thailand?  What's the unemployment rate, something like 2%?  Do you see a shortage of luxury cars on the streets of Bangkok? Still loads of traffic, seems like people can afford petrol?  How about smart phones? Everyone still has them?

Thais aren't suffering like everyone claims.  The economy has pulled back a bit, but the Thais have been so spoiled for so long!

You can not be serious..are u actually here in Thailand or commenting from a far off land? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, thaiman said:

Exactly. 

Thailand doesn't need tourism.  It hasn't had any for nearly 2 years and everyone seems to be ok.

How many people do you see starving now in Thailand?  What's the unemployment rate, something like 2%?  Do you see a shortage of luxury cars on the streets of Bangkok? Still loads of traffic, seems like people can afford petrol?  How about smart phones? Everyone still has them?

Thais aren't suffering like everyone claims.  The economy has pulled back a bit, but the Thais have been so spoiled for so long!

Like i always said , people always complain about the hurting of the people but they only see bars , hotels , tourist related things , and that is so everywhere around the world . The fact if , world economy is going up fast . Companies cannot follow orders , creating delays , rising inflation , ... Thailand , a heavy tourism related country , but the total impact on economy is 20% , and with the other sectors growing , prob the impact is now down to 15 or 10% then before covid . Did it create havoc in some areas , sure , like i said , all tourism related stuff , and in heavy tourism related towns/cities .

BTW Thailand economy has grown fast in the past 20y , many people are prob going back to more basic stuff . Lots of people can live a whole lot cheaper if they want to , and that isn't the case for Thailand alone .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1