First time marriage extension

Hi all. 
This will be my first time do extension. My 3 months is up on the 3 of March. Just wondering when I need to apply for extension. Is it still 400000 baht in the bank 2 months prior. 
I only want to stay until the 30th of May as I have to go back to work.

is there an easier option for me to stay until then without doing marriage extension 

thanks

deansy1972

On 12/24/2021 at 9:29 AM, deansy1972 said:

I only want to stay until the 30th of May as I have to go back to work.

is there an easier option for me to stay until then without doing marriage extension 

The 60 day extension to visit wife would only take you through till ~ May 3.

You already have the non O.

Personally I would stick with your plan of 12 month extension.

Cost of extensions is 1900 baht.

Perhaps consider also obtaining a reentry permit. That way you could reentry Thailand in that 12 month extension period.

If timed correctly you could obtain another extension.

• Like 2

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

It seems the one year extension is the best option for you.

As said you could a re-entry permit to keep the extension valid when you return. You can get a single or multiple re-entry permit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The 60 day extension to visit wife would only take you through till ~ May 3.

You already have the non O.

Personally I would stick with your plan of 12 month extension.

Cost of extensions is 1900 baht.

Perhaps consider also obtaining a reentry permit. That way you could reentry Thailand in that 12 month extension period.

If timed correctly you could obtain another extension.

And the cost of the re-enty pemit?

Hi all

just wanting information on marriage extension. This will be my first time. My 3 month finish on the 3rd of March. When can I start to apply for it. 
I usually do 3 months here then 3 months in Australia for the last 15 years. Due to the COVID situation I haven’t been here for 2 years so I want to spend 6 months with the family. 
Is there other options for getting an extra 3 months. Without going the marriage extension route. 
kind regards

deansy1972

Here is my general list of documents for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. 

Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

After applying for the extension of stay you could get a multiple re-entry permit that would allow to travel as much as you want to until the extension ends.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit our wife. If still available you could also apply for 60 day covid 19 extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Normally you can start 30 days before expirydate of your present  VISA

A visas expiration date means nothing after you use it enter the country. The important thing is the 90 day permit to stay a non-o visa allows. A visas cannot be extended.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, deansy1972 said:

do I have to wait until 1 month left on my visa to apply for the extension. 

Some offices will allow you to apply for the extension up to 45 days before your current permit to stay (it is not a visa) ends.

Edit: I have merged your topic asking the same question. No need for 2 topics.

Edited by ubonjoe

6 minutes ago, Max Brok said:

I am now in consideration time for my marriage extension. I have a multi entry non-O. If approved, do I need a re-entry?

You will need a re-entry permit to keep your extension of stay valid.

If you used your non-o visa to enter the country you would be stamped in for a new 90 day permit to stay that would make your extension invalid.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

400,000 in the bank 3 months prior.

Not correct. Two months prior and one month after you apply, until you receive the extension (which might not be exactly a month and the date they give you - wait for their call to you). The latter is not, apparently, in the rule book but is required by many immigration offices.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not correct. Two months prior and one month after you apply, until you receive the extension (which might not be exactly a month and the date they give you - wait for their call to you). The latter is not, apparently, in the rule book but is required by many immigration offices.

I actually applied 45 days in advance (Chiang Mai) for my second extension based on a non-O marriage visa.  They still made me wait a month after the expiration of the 1st extension (when you can touch your money) so my 400,000 has now sat long enough to turn into Kim chi.

13 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

so my 400,000 has now sat long enough to turn into Kim chi

Spare a thought for folk on retirement extensions. Using money in bank its 2 months prior + 3 months post application, then not below 400k.

Think married guys have it easy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

I actually applied 45 days in advance (Chiang Mai) for my second extension based on a non-O marriage visa.  They still made me wait a month after the expiration of the 1st extension (when you can touch your money) so my 400,000 has now sat long enough to turn into Kim chi.

Same with me, in Kalasin. Seems they don't even look at it until the year is up. No point at all in applying early. Might be convenient if you're leaving the country (with a re-entry permit) for any reason, otherwise no point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Same with me, in Kalasin. Seems they don't even look at it until the year is up. No point at all in applying early. Might be convenient if you're leaving the country (with a re-entry permit) for any reason, otherwise no point.

If you obtain reentry permit during the under consideration period when is the permit dated till? 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Spare a thought for folk on retirement extensions. Using money in bank its 2 months prior + 3 months post application, then not below 400k.

Think married guys have it easy.

And why shouldn't married guys have it easier?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, roo860 said:

And why shouldn't married guys have it easier?

Rhetorical question

Why should not guys on extensions retirement have it easier? 

Personally think financial requirements should be the same for marriage and retirement.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Rhetorical question

Personally think financial requirements should be the same for marriage and retirement.

It's really a mystery why a marriage extension should be 400k and a retirement extension 800k.

Maybe there's an assumption that the Thai wife will contribute to the expenses (yeah, right). But the reality is that 400k would last about 4 months in my family.

Maybe the assumption is that a retired guy is likely to have a lot of expensive girlfriends or will be doing a lot of traveling.  But I agree with you that the financial requirements should be the same in both cases.

Paul Laew

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Maybe there's an assumption that the Thai wife will contribute to the expenses (yeah, right). But the reality is that 400k would last about 4 months in my family

I've read explanations along the lines of the Thai wife may be working and able to contribute income. I don't buy that.

Often marriage has the additional item called children (not always).

That's a huge cost ongoing.

In any event I don't have an issue as feel my retirement extensions financial requirement is small cost to live in this wonderful place. 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Rhetorical question

IMHO married guys should be given PR as well as the reduced financial rules, they've made more of a commitment here in Thailand.

• Haha 1