Yellow book - what's the procedure for getting one?

scubascuba3

Best to stop by your nearby ampur office and ask them directly. But you can be sure you'll need at a minimum copies of your passport, visa, proof of address/lease, a Thai witness with a copy of their ID card, if married bring married paperwork, and depending on the ampur they might want your passport translated into Thai (I had mine done up in BKK and certified by the MFA).

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've looked at a couple threads, it looks like a PITA for little gain, but I'm looking for Pattaya specific info, like exactly where the office is? what floor? what department? that kind of stuff

Where's your local ampur?  I live on Pattaya's Darkside and used the Nong Prue office. If you're in the main part of town I'd guess you'd use the Bangalmung District office on Sukhumvit.  When you enter there's a person at the info desk that can direct you where you need to go.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/ที่ว่าการอำเภอบางละมุง/@12.9768173,100.9138297,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x16998216f6a75962!8m2!3d12.9768173!4d100.9138297

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Not really. Why start a new thread when there are some threads and many posts on this topic already.

Do some research first.

It's a forum you plonker, if we all just used google there would be no need for the forum plus this is specific to Pattaya which you no doubt missed

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Found this on the interweb;

The yellow residence book contains the names of farang resident(s) at that address.  It is applied for in our area at the government office in which the residence (condo or house) is actually situated, i.e. Pattaya city hall or the district offices at Banglamung, Nongprue or Huay Yai.   Although the documentation can vary slightly, you will need to produce your passport (probably authenticated by your embassy), your birth certificate to show parents’ names, a one year visa or better, proof of address from immigration and two witness statements from people who know you.

• Like 2

Anyone know the procedure? what you need to take?

Everything is detailed here: https://thailand.immigration.travel/en-us/tabien-baan

I've looked at a couple threads, it looks like a PITA for little gain

Yes it's a pain, but you only have to do it once, and the advantages it brings are priceless.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/24/2021 at 7:09 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Everything is detailed here: https://thailand.immigration.travel/en-us/tabien-baan

Yes it's a pain, but you only have to do it once, and the advantages it brings are priceless.

can you list the advantage(s)?

ive been unable to find any other than a 20/80 chance of local priced entry to national parks

E2A -

Advantages

• First and foremost, you will be granted a 'Citizen's Number' (You're not a Thai citizen of course but this is how it translates into English). You are officially in the system so to speak. This is an enormously valuable step forward for your life in Thailand and it's the next best thing to your passport when dealing with government bodies and private companies alike (e.g. getting public utilities such as electricity supply, telephone landline, or satellite TV and cellular contracts etc). It is often used as definitive proof of your lawful presence in this country. The Citizen's Number will go on your Driver's License for example (ordinarily, a passport number will be used on a foreigner's license). More recently it has been used as a de facto social security number for those working legally in Thailand. The prefix on this Citizen's Number is an important indicator of your status (see below).
  • You will never again have to go to all the time consuming trouble and expense of getting documents issued that prove who you are and where you live, or similar documents from your embassy/consul (this is a particularly important money saver, especially if you're British, as your embassy charges grossly disproportionate fees for even the most basic of services). It saves you HEAPS of paperwork. Your days of queuing at immigration for a 'Letter of Residency' are over. It's worth the aggravation of getting your house book on this point alone. Many foreigners simply cannot understand the advantage of getting one. These are the people that are happy to be obstructed by red tape and officialdom at every turn. Yes, it's possible to manage without one but the combination of your passport, visa and Tabien Baan will eliminate nearly all of the additional red tape that is forced upon foreign residents.
  • You will be able to open an account at any Thai bank, even those that ordinarily have the strictest criteria for expatriate account holders. With a Tabien Baan, you're taken much more seriously.
  • Emotional value. The sense you are receiving greater acceptance in Thai society should not be underestimated.
  • It's free.
  • Crucially, for those with Thai family and/or children, a Tabien Baan is prerequisite if you plan on applying for Thai citizenship. Without it, there is no possibility of applying for citizenship, so for some of us, a Tabien Baan is something one has to obtain, no matter what.

Disadvantages

• None...

Edited by edgarfriendly
  • Like 2

Whichever office issued your blue book is the only office that can issue you a yellow book, in most cases. Government offices do have different rules for the same document, even the rules change depending on the person you speak to in the same office.

The requirements do change over time, and here are the requirements from Pattaya city hall, about a year old.

In Pattay City Hall, go through the front door, up the stairs to the 2nd floor, turn left at the top, then right, walk about 10 meters and ask at the information desk.

YellowBookPattaya.jpg

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

On receiving your Yellow Tabien Baan, do yourself a favour. Stay at the amphur another 30 minutes and get a pink ID card. I've found this to be more useful than the Tabien Baan because you can keep it in your wallet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

get a pink ID card

Yes, over the years it proved useful in different situations.

E.g. saves me from getting residence certficate for the DLT.

Free vaccinations at the village health center registered on pink card. Also minor wound dressing etc.

Recently I could register two SIMs based on the pink card data.

First time at a shop, second time online at DTAC.

At police checkpoint on the scooter pull it out before the license and the cop will make a sour face and wave you on. Not a tourist to milk :cheesy:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

The requirements do change over time, and here are the requirements from Pattaya city hall, about a year old.

Seems as easy as it was for me up here.

Witness was my wife.

First name of father and mother (and their nationality): if you have a birth certificate you could have it translated together with the passport.

If one already has marriage papers: make sure that your name in Thai script is identical for the passport translation (there are no simple transcription rules, can vary).

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

@scubascuba3

Is the topic still open for you?

Or do you have your YB and pink card in the meantime?

Asking before taking effort to dig out my old stuff.

I decided not to bother getting the yellow book, just wasn't worth the effort, hassle and cost with Pattaya City Hall

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I decided not to bother getting the yellow book, just wasn't worth the effort, hassle and cost with Pattaya City Hall

Cost with Pattaya City Hall ???

The Yellow Tabien Baan House Book is free - what ‘cost’ was there at City Hall ? (tea money ?).

I recall there was a cost with getting the MFA approved translation of Embassy certified copy of my passport.

- Certified Embassy Copy of Passport (about 2500 baht I think).

- Approved translation service (about 300 baht).

- MFA verification (about 300 baht I think - including postage).

The Pink ID card was 30 Baht I think. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Cost with Pattaya City Hall ???

The Yellow Tabien Baan House Book is free - what ‘cost’ was there at City Hall ? (tea money ?).

I recall there was a cost with getting the MFA approved translation of Embassy certified copy of my passport.

- Certified Embassy Copy of Passport (about 2500 baht I think).

- Approved translation service (about 300 baht).

- MFA verification (about 300 baht I think - including postage).

The Pink ID card was 30 Baht I think. 

An agent wanted 5,000 I'm guessing DIY costs incl transport not far off that, main thing was the hassle, birth certificate required, two thais in blue book, drag them up to city call, I wouldn't want to waste their time with that nonsense

just finalized my yellow book and pink ID card with help of my lawyer at Nongprue City Hall (Blu+Yellow book/free) and Ampoe Banglamung (ID card/fee 100THB/about 1.5hrs)

together with the missing blue book of my house it took me almost 4 months and about 3-4 visits, interviews etc ft the city hall

wouldnt do it again but hope in the future will have some advantages

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 4:35 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Apparently you need to be on the house registration list \ have a yellow book to be exempt from the condo land and building tax, daft i know when I'm on the chanote.

Being on the chanote is no verification at all that you live in the place or that it is your primary residence.

It's always amusing how assertions of Thais being daft or stupid usually apply more to the poster making them than to the Thais.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Being on the chanote is no verification at all that you live in the place as your primary residence.

It's always amusing how assertions of Thais being daft or stupid usually apply more to the poster making them than to the Thais.

Being on the yellow book is no verification it's your only property, so proves nothing for purposes of avoiding the property tax

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is showing a yellow book to get a SIM card any easier than showing a passport?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 12/24/2021 at 3:44 AM, scubascuba3 said:

It's a forum you plonker, if we all just used google there would be no need for the forum plus this is specific to Pattaya which you no doubt missed

What's a plonker?

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Is showing a yellow book to get a SIM card any easier than showing a passport?

Not yellow book but the foreigner ID ("pink card").

For those Thais who have never seen a passport and have problems reading English, yes.

And I always carry the pink card with me  which I would not do with the passport.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, over the years it proved useful in different situations.

E.g. saves me from getting residence certficate for the DLT.

Free vaccinations at the village health center registered on pink card. Also minor wound dressing etc.

At police checkpoint on the scooter pull it out before the license and the cop will make a sour face and wave you on. Not a tourist to milk :cheesy:

I do not have a pink card, I have not seen any need and dealing with local administration is a frustrating exercise.....

Looking at your reasons above...

In Pattaya, they do not accept the pink book in lieu of a Residence Certificate. It would be extremely inconvenient to be refused as you now have a 15-20 km round trip to make.

I got 3xfree vaccinations for Covid without a pink ID.

I have 2 local SIM cards and Pink card was never required, wanted a passport though. 

Thai licence seems to do the same job at police checkpoints.