Finally Made it Back

On 12/25/2021 at 4:23 AM, Edward Abbott said:

On my visa application I stated that I'd be staying for two months, but booked a one-month return ticket as, although I have never been asked to show an outgoing ticket upon entering the Kingdom, wasn't aware what the rules were post-COVID. Anyway I booked one month's insurance based on the length of my itinerary/outgoing ticket, which worked.

My quarantine cost 30,000 baht.

so you are staying 1 month, and doing the 14 days quarantine? yet have a 2 months visa. 

Seriously, what's the point?

Guest Isaanlife
On 12/25/2021 at 8:27 AM, Sheryl said:

I spent far more than that to visit my family in the US for 2 months last summer. My quarantine on return to Thailand -- which back then was 15 days (I arrived at night) -- cost about 60k and that if course is in top of airfare etc.

It was worth it. Human connections are all important. 

Which health insurance do you use fulltime in Thailand?

On 12/25/2021 at 8:23 PM, Edward Abbott said:

On my visa application I stated that I'd be staying for two months, but booked a one-month return ticket as, although I have never been asked to show an outgoing ticket upon entering the Kingdom, wasn't aware what the rules were post-COVID. Anyway I booked one month's insurance based on the length of my itinerary/outgoing ticket, which worked.

My quarantine cost 30,000 baht.

Where are you quarantining, I'm looking for options.

2 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Which health insurance do you use fulltime in Thailand?

April Global.

Had no problem using it to get first COE and then Thailand Pass - broker helped me get a one page certificate that included language about COVID.

1 hour ago, Resident Alien said:

If there was something wrong with your insurance (or any other docs) you would not even reach the immigration desk.

There is no need for immigration to check your insurance.

My point exactly.

As I said, those that think it is up to immigration do not understand the process.

Guest Isaanlife
1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

April Global.

Had no problem using it to get first COE and then Thailand Pass - broker helped me get a one page certificate that included language about COVID.

Thank you very much.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see the benefit of getting a Non-O before departure. I'd get my TP for a 30 days entry without visa, with an Insurance for that duration and the cheapest onwards ticket. 

Once here I'd replay the Thai wife 60 days, Non O, and extensions. Which would also have the benefit of killing my Non OA.

8 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see the benefit of getting a Non-O before departure. I'd get my TP for a 30 days entry without visa, with an Insurance for that duration and the cheapest onwards ticket. 

Once here I'd replay the Thai wife 60 days, Non O, and extensions. Which would also have the benefit of killing my Non OA.

A non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai would eliminate the need for a 60 day extension and a the 2000 baht for a non-o visa applied for at immigration.

• Like 1

Just looking at my TP , it was issued on 7 Nov 2021 (and I entered on 12 November) but when you scan the QR code to get (and download) the full TP information from MOPH's TP site, it has an expiration date of 5 February 2022.

Does that mean that if there were changing circumstances, I could have kept changing my flights and other arrangements (including a fresh PCR test) up until that date and use the same QR code to travel?

This "72-hour expiration" I see mentioned here seems a bit confusing or redundant in that regard. AFAIK, the only 72-hours applies to the PCR test and not specifically to the TP QR code once issued.

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Just looking at my TP , it was issued on 7 Nov 2021 (and I entered on 12 November) but when you scan the QR code to get (and download) the full TP information from MOPH's TP site, it has an expiration date of 5 February 2022.

Does that mean that if there were changing circumstances, I could have kept changing my flights and other arrangements (including a fresh PCR test) up until that date and use the same QR code to travel?

This "72-hour expiration" I see mentioned here seems a bit confusing or redundant in that regard. AFAIK, the only 72-hours applies to the PCR test and not specifically to the TP QR code once issued.

The expiration date really means nothing. Your arrival date on the Thailand Pass is what the 72 hours is for.

This page has a good explanation on it.

https://medium.com/thailand-pass/can-i-change-my-flight-post-approval-72bf360325dd

• Like 1

I would like to return to Thailand (lived there 25 years) on a retirement visa once things settle down re covid: Are they still issuing retirement visas, I wonder, and has the process changed? I used to get mine through an agent.

7 hours ago, GazR said:

I would like to return to Thailand (lived there 25 years) on a retirement visa once things settle down re covid: Are they still issuing retirement visas, I wonder, and has the process changed? I used to get mine through an agent.

Some folk refer to a Non O-A retirement as "retirement visa".

They are obtained in your own country or country of residence.

If you actually plan to retire here and live ongoing I would suggest you obtain a Non O (retirement).

The non O can be obtain in Thailand once here or depending on which country your from can be obtained there.

You will require further advice about the financial requirements of both options. 

Personally I would defer travel to Thailand currently. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GazR said:

If entering visa exempt or on a tourist visa you can apply for a non-o visa and then during the last 30 days of the 90 days from the non-o visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

Or do you mean Non-OA visa issued by a embassy or official Thai consulate,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If entering visa exempt or on a tourist visa you can apply for a non-o visa and then during the last 30 days of the 90 days from the non-o visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

Or do you mean Non-OA visa issued by a embassy or official Thai consulate,

Joe, entry requirements seem to change almost every day.  I recently moved from Laos to live in Turkey, but this was a bad mistake and I am to blame! The winter in Turkey is freezing cold and playing havoc with my Aspergillosis (long term lung disease). I need to get to a warm/hot country and Thailand is my preferred choice (based on previous years in LoS, son etc).

I have been double-vaxxed in Laos (AZ), with vax card proof, and will soon receive a booster jab here in Turkey.  Is there any feasible route to get back into Thailand on a VoA or STV and then apply for a non-O visa (retirement)?  Options?  Thanks.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Joe, entry requirements seem to change almost every day.  I recently moved from Laos to live in Turkey, but this was a bad mistake and I am to blame! The winter in Turkey is freezing cold and playing havoc with my Aspergillosis (long term lung disease). I need to get to a warm/hot country and Thailand is my preferred choice (based on previous years in LoS, son etc).

I have been double-vaxxed in Laos (AZ), with vax card proof, and will soon receive a booster jab here in Turkey.  Is there any feasible route to get back into Thailand on a VoA or STV and then apply for a non-O visa (retirement)?  Options?  Thanks.

You cannot obtain non O from a STV entry.

By VoA do you mean visa exempt entry or actual visa on arrival.

Your country?

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I have been double-vaxxed in Laos (AZ), with vax card proof, and will soon receive a booster jab here in Turkey.  Is there any feasible route to get back into Thailand on a VoA or STV and then apply for a non-O visa (retirement)?  Options? 

I am sure you qualify for a 30 day visa exempt entry and you could apply for the non-o visa with it.. A VOA is only for 15 days.

You would cannot apply for a non-o visa with a STV. You could enter with single entry tourist visa and apply for the non-o visa.

Requirements for the non-o visa is here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure you qualify for a 30 day visa exempt entry and you could apply for the non-o visa with it.. A VOA is only for 15 days.

You would cannot apply for a non-o visa with a STV. You could enter with single entry tourist visa and apply for the non-o visa.

Requirements for the non-o visa is here. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

Thanks!  But is it even possible to enter Thailand right now on a UK passport and 30-day visa exempt entry?  Quarantine?

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Thanks!  But is it even possible to enter Thailand right now on a UK passport and 30-day visa exempt entry?  Quarantine?

Yes you can enter with visa exempt entry. Since you are fully vaccinated you would only need to do a 7 day quarantine.

Until the omicron variant arrived you could used the test&go option for entry with only one night of stay in a hotel while waiting for a negative covid 19 test.

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks for linking that. I'm a little confused over the last requirement.

I own my condo so I assume a copy of the Chanote is also accepted rather than a lease agreement? As to the map of building location, where do we get one of those?

Screenshot_20211228-174624_Drive.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can enter with visa exempt entry. Since you are fully vaccinated you would only need to do a 7 day quarantine.

Until the omicron variant arrived you could used the test&go option for entry with only one night of stay in a hotel while waiting for a negative covid 19 test.

It makes sense to wait until the Omicron 'scare' blows over and Test & Go is (hopefully) reinstated.  

10 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Thanks for linking that. I'm a little confused over the last requirement.

I own my condo so I assume a copy of the Chanote is also accepted rather than a lease agreement? As to the map of building location, where do we get one of those?

Screenshot_20211228-174624_Drive.jpg

You could do TM30 as owner.

Map depends which imm office.

A screenshot printed out of Google map or if CW they want hand drawn map showing nearest intersections.

• Like 1