5kW system with 10kW ESS question

MJCM

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

On grid vs hybrid inverter, bit more expensive along possibly needing a 'controller'.

Also new at this, and been researching for a while.  Sure someone will chime in with better, actual experienced answer.

Yes, some of the suppliers have already priced for an on grid hybrid inverter, and some say that will cost more than their quoted on grid inverter, but still the inverter supply price difference shouldn't be more than THB10-20k surely. 

Unfortunately I don't have the electrical knowledge to DIY, and I don't trust employing an electrician to install only. I've read about people ending up with systems that don't work. At least with a reputable supplier you have a chance to get it right first time.

10 minutes ago, Khaoyaiman said:

Yes, some of the suppliers have already priced for an on grid hybrid inverter, and some say that will cost more than their quoted on grid inverter, but still the inverter supply price difference shouldn't be more than THB10-20k surely. 

I paid 13,400Bht inc delivery for my 5k5w wifi Hybrid Inverter delivered direct from China.

Very happy with it, they put the price up a bit now.

https://shopee.co.th/5.5KW-Hybrid-Off-Grid-Inverter-48V-MPPT-100A-Pure-Sine-Wave-รองรับโมดูล-WIFI-i.428988356.13409949302

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, Khaoyaiman said:

At least with a reputable supplier you have a chance to get it right first time.

There are none in Thailand.

The guys spending big money on 'reputable suppliers' nearly all had big problems.

I bought cheap everything, ended up wasting 5,000bht on parts (a few of the s/h batteries didn't really work)

........ but saving 150,000bht on installation and installers 'mark-up'.

Edited by BritManToo

On 12/26/2021 at 5:37 PM, MJCM said:

That's 75k (excl Shipping) for one so because I need (read WANT ????) 2 that's 150k already spend (another one can be easily added)

Any other ones to consider??

Posted above, 52Kbht for double the capacity you posted, no shipping you can collect them in your pickup.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Batteries are expensive, expect to pay at least 50,000bht for a 48V 200AH battery.

These are about the best I've seen available in Thailand at the moment.

278639010_569732654776853_1458883401345901248_n.jpg

278618079_569732754776843_334028861264340663_n.jpg

This looks a lot better than my best quote so far, that consists of 6 12v Lifepo4 batteries with a one year warranty! Thanks for sharing.

7 minutes ago, Khaoyaiman said:

This looks a lot better than my best quote so far, that consists of 6 12v Lifepo4 batteries with a one year warranty! Thanks for sharing.

I would most seriously advise that you not use any installer or company that suggested using 6 x12 Lifepo4 packs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Batteries are expensive, expect to pay at least 50,000bht for a 48V 200AH battery.

These are about the best I've seen available in Thailand at the moment.

278639010_569732654776853_1458883401345901248_n.jpg

278618079_569732754776843_334028861264340663_n.jpg

Do you have any recommendations for a 5Kw inverter to go with this battery pack?

43 minutes ago, Khaoyaiman said:

Do you have any recommendations for a 5Kw inverter to go with this battery pack?

I have the one I linked to earlier.

Works well with a similar 48v battery but I built my battery pack myself.

I would have probably given building my own a miss and bought the BCT if it had been available 2 months back.

Edited by BritManToo

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I paid 13,400Bht inc delivery for my 5k5w wifi Hybrid Inverter delivered direct from China.

Very happy with it, they put the price up a bit now.

https://shopee.co.th/5.5KW-Hybrid-Off-Grid-Inverter-48V-MPPT-100A-Pure-Sine-Wave-รองรับโมดูล-WIFI-i.428988356.13409949302

That seems so cheap compared to some of the other brands. Does this inverter allow you to feed the solar energy back into the grid? I'm usually away from home for several months of the year and so thought using PEA buyback would make sense. Although I've heard PEA aren't accepting any new buyback at the moment.

1 minute ago, Khaoyaiman said:

Does this inverter allow you to feed the solar energy back into the grid?

No. It's an off-grid hybrid, you need an on-grid or grid-tie hybrid if you want to export to the grid, and, of course, these are a lot more expensive. There also aren't many on the PEA/MEA approval lists ???? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

You are in the fortunate position of being solar savvy enough to take on a complete installation. There are many who would also wish for solar power but don't know how to go about it.

These are the ones who are at the mercy of the double price brigade who may (or may not) do a good job. Without a doubt the "approved" title of an installer would worry me. From experience my Amphur head man has been known to get his recommended/approved electrician to reconnect a house supply but the guy didn't have enough electrical knowledge to know the difference between live and neutral.

There are some excellent companies around but we are in a country where qualifications and standards are not well controlled so there is no way to determine which installers are good other than by word of mouth but beware, defamation laws may prevent bad reviews.

Good morning neighbor. I arranged to import my Inverters and Batteries myself and purchased my panels at my local solarshop. My installer here in Surin fitted them all for me.

More expensive than building your batteries yourself my nRuit batteries use CATL cells Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry and cost me ฿68,000 for 9kWh

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, Bandersnatch said:

I arranged to import my Inverters and Batteries

how long was shipping on the batteries?

i am looking at a similar setup to yours
but battery quality is a concern
currently looking at MUST 200ah battery with growatt inverters
which i might just bite the bullet on,
and then look into importing some NiFe batteries as long term backup

10 hours ago, patman30 said:

how long was shipping on the batteries?

i am looking at a similar setup to yours
but battery quality is a concern
currently looking at MUST 200ah battery with growatt inverters
which i might just bite the bullet on,

I got the batteries in a couple of weeks, but with the situation now in China it could be months.

What is the voltage of the 200AH batteries and how many are you getting? I like to work in kWhs 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, patman30 said:

I do like your choice.

NiFe has a relatively infinite life expectancy that is unaffected by depth of discharge.

What would be the cost and availability and why bother with the Must 200Ah?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I got the batteries in a couple of weeks, but with the situation now in China it could be months.

What is the voltage of the 200AH batteries and how many are you getting? I like to work in kWhs 

48v (10kwh)
i was originally looking at getting 2 (or 3) of these 48v 300ah (15kwh)
but currently out of stock
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lifepo4-48v-300ah-i3076859999.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.3bfcc0a0ogRwRY

have also seen these
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/48v-300ah-smart-bms-300a-1585kw-i2554477759.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.2390f8445AFRKv

but "pay cheap, pay twice" comes to mind.

if anyone has any fitter recomendations that will work in Korat area, please do DM me.

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I do like your choice.

NiFe has a relatively infinite life expectancy that is unaffected by depth of discharge.

What would be the cost and availability and why bother with the Must 200Ah?

mainly time, with issues in China right now
The MUST 48v 200ah is readily available at 70k baht
NiFe batteries,

1200ah 1.2v is $450 each
300ah 1.2v is $160 each
plus shipping and import fees

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

We (read me, myself and I (without telling SWMBO ???? ) are picking up Solar again.

I had a talk with a local (very important!!!! (IMHO)) Sparky who says he can do it and he more or less understood the line diagram that @Crossy drew a while back!

Will keep you informed, but as the field were the panels are to be located is flooded (10-15cm water max, more then that it will flow out to the fields next door (which now (finally) also belongs to us (read Wifey ???? ) ) it will take a while before actual work can start.

Would really appreciate any comments on our buying plans / Specs for the Panels and the inverter etc etc which we are planning to do in the next coming weeks!

Edit: Ps: I am preparing for it to be a cancelled project again, but if that is the case I will have some cheap solar stuff for sale :cheesy:

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

Already having my first discussion with the Sparky.

I want Mono Solar Panels, he wants Poly.

I say Mono are more efficient but more Expensive and

he says Poly are more efficient and more durable.

What would you choose for use in the Thai Climate?

Edit Ps: We want to start off with 5-10 panels!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Already having my first discussion with the Sparky.

I want Mono Solar Panels, he wants Poly.

I say Mono are more efficient but more Expensive and

he says Poly are more efficient and more durable.

What would you choose for use in the Thai Climate?

Edit Ps: We want to start off with 5-10 panels!

I've got 10x bluetech poly 345w panels and they're great. 3,500bht each. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

With no space restrictions I'd go poly and have more of them.

No space restrictions whatsoever, but what about the efficiency!

Who is right when the Sparky saying that the Poly are more efficient and DURABLE or myself who says the Mono are more efficient?

Sparks is less than correct, poly is less efficient at converting solar to electricity, but who cares when the input energy is free?

Poly have been around a long time, durability is a given. That said I don't see mono as being any less durable.

If you like the cool, black look of mono ...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you like the cool, black look of mono

I don't care less about how it looks won't seeing much of them anyway. The only time I see them is when I am cleaning them ????

8 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Now I am in doubt: Shall I say to him what you said and get into a further argument or shall I leave it be and just agree with him? (a white lie) :whistling:

Let him have his way if he wants poly, keeps him happy and hurts nobody.

I would however insist on half-cut (no, not 5 pints of Stella) panels, they are slightly more efficient and rather more reliable than regular panels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Let him have his way if he wants poly, keeps him happy and hurts nobody.

Agreed,  and he can claim he knows more then the "stupid farang" which means also a lot to them (losing face)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1