Do Afro American men get treated with respect as teachers in Thailand ?

Tim121

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

OP seems to be posting an op-ed for anyone interested.  A little bit of research, would have saved him 2 yrs of an unsatisfied Thai experience.

Don't take it personal, many Thais only like Thais, and not dark skinned Thais ... ????

There are many dark skinned Thais. As the OP hasn't given any information about his skills, talents and teaching experience yet, it is premature to blame it on the skin color.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, grain said:

Can't really understand the point of your post. You ask the question "Do Afro American men get treated with respect as teachers in Thailand?" Then tell us how racist the Thai system is and there's no respect for a black man. Well, you already know far better than anyone here, so why ask the question in the first place?

It was a rhetorical device.

• Like 2

@Tim121

From what I know so far from watching many media, Thai do give more respect to lighter-skinned people like Caucasian, light-skinned Thai, Chinese and Japanese.

The darker-skinned Thai isn't seen as favorable as lighter-skinned Thai. It's not xenophobia or racism but just their culture.

I am surprised you even got a teaching job in Thailand because English teachers are almost all Caucasians and Filipinos.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott said:

My job entailed going through all the applications for a number of schools and then presenting them to the owner/directors/principals of the schools in the system.  

There certainly is racism and xenophobia in Thailand but it isn't really comparable to the Western racism we usually think of.  If you are not Thai, you will encounter discrimination.  It's not just related to skin color, many farangs have experienced it.   For Blacks it's a little more obvious and harder to pin down.  It's not systemic.  

One of the head honchos I work with years ago would not hire blacks (or Indians or anyone not white).  This had to do with the perception of parents about what a Native English Speaker looked like.  

How do you explain the many Filipino teachers in Thailand? They are not what a native English speaker should look like.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1