Do Afro American men get treated with respect as teachers in Thailand ?

Tim121

On 1/4/2022 at 2:03 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Never have that problem, must be your lovely character.

I wonder if young Thais listen to rap "music" from the USA where the N-word is used liberally?

I guess these days it's more K=pop, but still a possibility?

8 hours ago, cdemundo said:

"X" is typographically a single character, phonetically isn't it a consonant pair. "ks"?

Apparently so.  So my mistake in terms of labelling the example, but the issue being described was final sounds rather than specifically consonant clusters.

Thais have different problems with consonant clusters at the beginning of words than they do as the final sounds in syllables.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Apparently so.  So my mistake in terms of labelling the example, but the issue being described was final sounds rather than specifically consonant clusters.

Thais have different problems with consonant clusters at the beginning of words than they do as the final sounds in syllables.

The thing is, Thais have problems with "x" because of the final sound, namely "s". Try getting them to says "book" and "books", "cook" and "cooks", "kick" and "kicks".

On 3/27/2022 at 11:24 AM, BangkokReady said:

While Thais do have a problem with consonant clusters, that isn't what is being discussed in the comment you are replying to.  It's simply syllable/word ending/final sounds and their correct pronunciation.

Consonant clusters are sounds like "bl" "br", etc., where two consonants combine to make a different sound.  What the user you are replying to is talking about is where a Thai attempts to pronounce a word like "six", but pronounces it as "sic", due to the different pronunciation of ending/final sounds in Thai.

Nah. It's a bigger issue than that.  It constanants and constanant clusters.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, Gecko123 said:

I find your posts on this subject to be insufferably arrogant and disrespectful.

The ability to speak Thai can be of enormous benefit in the classroom:

• establishing rapport with students
  • classroom discipline and management
  • explaining grammatical concepts
  • understanding why Thais pronounce English the way they do and using this knowledge to target pronunciation problems
  • interfacing with other non-English speaking teachers, parents, and staff

The fact that you don't seem to appreciate any of this makes me seriously wonder about your qualifications as a teacher.

And what language would you teach in a multi language class?

And if over  three  years you taught in Spain, Saudi and then Thailand are you going to learn a new language  every year?