Do Afro American men get treated with respect as teachers in Thailand ?

Tim121

41 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How do you explain the many Filipino teachers in Thailand? They are not what a native English speaker should look like.

I don't.  I don't think he is asking about Filipino teachers.  

I found that the closer one gets to BKK, the stricter and more difficult everything becomes re teaching. This includes the hiring of black teachers. Out in Issan there are many black teachers, African Americans and African Africans. I recall at one speaking competition, some students had so many African teachers they had developed an African accent. The Thais didn't seem to mind. They did well in the competitions, despite it not being the Queen's English heh.

In BKK, on the other hand, I saw much fewer of them, mostly in language schools, rarely in formal schools. I once worked at a famous big name BKK private school, with a huge foreign teaching staff, and the lack of any black people was quite noticeable.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ed strong said:

My nickers are fine thank you.

The point is regardless of experience the op presumes he got a bad deal because of his skin colour and its hard to disagree.

If i was of African origin, one of the last countries i would visit would be a 3rd world military dictatorship in the Far East.

Or Japan

From what I have seen in Thailand, though there might be a larger prejudice for a group, people seem to be treated as individuals... and according to how they act and their friendliness... 

Even me as a farang - sure, it is visible that I am not Thai, but I am seen as the guy who smiles kindly and greets pleasantly and usually first.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orchis said:

I had 2 African American friends teaching; here one in a public school one in a language school, I never heard them mention being treated disrespectfully.

It varies but if you dress smartly and act respectfully you should be OK in Thailand. When I was looking for a teaching job I actually was interviewed by a black man who happened to be the head English teacher at that government school in Bangkok. They loved him there.

Edited by tonray
spellcheck
  • Like 1

He can't possibly be an english teacher? His spelling, grammar and punctuation are below par for what would be expected from a teacher. He would be doing a disservice to his students if he was teaching them at this level. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cdemundo said:

The joke about qualification used to be "All you need to teach English in Thailand is a white face and a white shirt".

That is an unfortunate fact in the Land of Smiles.

There are quite a few Filipino english teachers though.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

How do you explain the many Filipino teachers in Thailand? They are not what a native English speaker should look like.

Many Filipinos speak very good English, are intelligent, work hard and are quite dependable. Was that a racist generalization? If it was, I barely care. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grain said:

Can't really understand the point of your post. You ask the question "Do Afro American men get treated with respect as teachers in Thailand?" Then tell us how racist the Thai system is and there's no respect for a black man. Well, you already know far better than anyone here, so why ask the question in the first place?

???? Saved me the bother of saying it. I thought China didn't like black skin either? Maybe they are less overt about it. 

15 hours ago, Tim121 said:

I'm a African American ESL teacher that decided after a few months  teaching in China, I would come to Thailand to become a teacher.  Long story short, I got stomped by covid- 19 in china of 2019 and I was out of work. I then decided to look for an agency to get me working in Thailand. I was a bit naive about Thailand views on people of color and some the prejudice practices in the education business. 

I viewed Thailand as a tourist spot first, rather than a underdeveloped corruption hub. Thailand's education system is a nightmare on elm street. I regretted  wasting two years of my life going school to school due to unlawful firing practices. Most of my problems with thai schools were xenophobic behavior, merciless prejudice responses when I share classroom space. to make it worst they always had an <deleted>   farang lead teacher as their watch dog in some cases.  I wasn't seen for my talents as a educator in these schools but more for my skin color.  I was treated with no respect within the education business of Thailand. Contracts were just 3 months to use me for presences. Thats when I realized me being a tourist is the only thing I could really be in this country as a black man. Being a 4 year lead teacher was not happening. I'm not saying farangs don't have issues with Thailand education system, but being a black man under Thai government system that is racist was like swim with an anchor. I personally think their is no respect for brothers out here besides being just sex tourist and tricking off. 

You just answered your own rant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

It varies but if you dress smartly and act respectfully you should be OK in Thailand. When I was looking for a teaching job I actually was interviewed by a black man who happened to be the head English teacher at that government school in Bangkok. They loved him there.

I agree, the OP may simply have a negative attitude or an unlucky resting b*tchface. As we don't know him personally it's not possible to help. 

• Like 1

Far from being treated with respect, I'm surprised to hear that black teachers even get hired, considering the attitude of many Thais. Even if those in charge of the hiring process don't have that attitude themselves, surely they will be aware and need to consider parents' reaction to them selecting a black teacher very carefully.

I was once in a school were a Afro teacher was hired, but got fired because they said that the kids were afraid of him because his black skin. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with the man. He was kind, energetic, and good in his teachings, but according to school he was too black. I know that dark skinned Thais are also humiliated sometimes, but I always tell the students that black is beautiful... Yes in Western world we like dark skinned, but here in Thailand people do everything to look white, because it is related to rich.... So change the public opinion here first that black or white doesn't matter 

10 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Race and racism aside, a thorough reading of the op might raise questions regarding his qualifications, especially given that he's a native English speaker. 

With respect, he is not a native English speaker. He is an American by his own admittance. From a personal point of view, reading his post, I get the impression there is a chip on his shoulder. I hope I am wrong, but just how I read it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ed strong said:

My nickers are fine thank you.

The point is regardless of experience the op presumes he got a bad deal because of his skin colour and its hard to disagree.

If i was of African origin, one of the last countries i would visit would be a 3rd world military dictatorship in the Far East.

but if you were a black man from south India or Papua New Guinea you would go there like a shot?  And what about a white or brown African?  

If I were selecting an English teacher, criteriae other than educational background and experience would be accent, structure and vocabulary.   

10 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Race and racism aside, a thorough reading of the op might raise questions regarding his qualifications, especially given that he's a native English speaker. 

My thoughts as well. Generally in online forums correctness is less important than communication, but in this case a post about teaching English contains basic errors.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I was once in a school were a Afro teacher was hired, but got fired because they said that the kids were afraid of him because his black skin. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with the man. He was kind, energetic, and good in his teachings, but according to school he was too black. I know that dark skinned Thais are also humiliated sometimes, but I always tell the students that black is beautiful... Yes in Western world we like dark skinned, but here in Thailand people do everything to look white, because it is related to rich.... So change the public opinion here first that black or white doesn't matter 

and instill anti-white racism as in much of the USA and the UK?

• Sad 1

I haven't taught for two years now and I never taught in the Pattaya area. However I was made aware there is (was?) a black American guy who is well thought of in teaching. I believe he was or is a recruiter and would be in a position to give good advice on the matter. So if anyone has his details perhaps they could pass it on. Sorry I have no further info.

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

With respect, he is not a native English speaker. He is an American by his own admittance. From a personal point of view, reading his post, I get the impression there is a chip on his shoulder. I hope I am wrong, but just how I read it.

So you actually believe Americans aren't native English speakers? No respect granted.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many Filipinos speak very good English, are intelligent, work hard and are quite dependable. Was that a racist generalization? If it was, I barely care. 

I was just replying to a forummer's statement that English teachers in Thailand are typically white people.

Edited by EricTh

Nonsense.  The majority  of 'Native English  Speakers ' are American.

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/how-many-people-speak-english-and-where-is-it-spoken

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Why Me said:

What was it like in China?

Here a nattily-dressed fit black guy will win over a jowly farang with bad clothes and odor. Thais are suckers for appearances.

in China he was looked at like having a plague, Chinese are very racist and discriminatory

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

You're spot on. Thai people revere white skin people. That means fair-skinned Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Europeans.