Do Afro American men get treated with respect as teachers in Thailand ?

Tim121

1 hour ago, thaibook said:

and instill anti-white racism as in much of the USA and the UK?

I will never understand why one color should surpress the others.... People should look at the inside, before judging if white is better than......

Edited by ikke1959

56 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You're spot on. Thai people revere white skin people. That means fair-skinned Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Europeans.

Skin color isn't the issue, it's because Thai people are very status oriented. Europe, Korea, Japan etc... are high status for obvious reasons we don't need to go into. Africa, Cambodia etc... ? well, not so much.

Here's an example of why Thais may not look highly on Africans.

image.png.9ba16dcaddbcc2293b4db1b180a3a7dc.png

I had occaision to chat with an African American man in my first days here. His opinion/experience was that racism was less overt in Thailand vs the USA. I don't recall many specifics, but it made an impression as I had not long before had a similar chat with a black professional aquaintance in the US, and was horrified at his account of profiling, etc.

35 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Is it eubonics?

No. It's an Americanism.  Probably dated. Also gay slang as usually trick. Actually it just means sleeping around but in the context he used it implied commercial sex.

BTW there is nothing wrong with Eubonics per se as its just another dialect. Obviously it shouldn't be and isn't taught in English language courses covering standard usage.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

This type of pondering could go on forever?  What do Thai's think of Americans of Asian Descent?  Canadians who immigrated from the Middle East? Etc, etc.  You really don't know how you will be treated until you actually come to LOS and contact the locals.  Some will treat you very well some will not.  Some Thai's have hard time believing an Asian is an American Citizen.  Some will say "not possible, you  Chinese".  

• Like 2

The OP's post is clearly rhetorical because in the body of it he doesn't actually pose a question.

He feels aggrieved, possibly rightly so, but we have no way of telling how much hyperbole is in his comments in order to draw our own conclusions.

This forum has given him the opportunity to vent his spleen, to cry "woe is me" and wallow in self-pity. Like so many people, black or white or rainbow-coloured, he may be carrying a burdensome chip upon his shoulder.

As an objective outside observer, his command of the English language is lacking. Possibly it may be excused that his mind was not entirely clear when he wrote the words, or that he applied them in haste. That is one explanation.

Another is that he is careless, slip-shod, and doesn't have sufficient pride in what he does. It is eminently possible that he has transferred this lackadaisical approach to his work in the classroom.

We shall never know.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, grain said:

Can't really understand the point of your post. You ask the question "Do Afro American men get treated with respect as teachers in Thailand?" Then tell us how racist the Thai system is and there's no respect for a black man. Well, you already know far better than anyone here, so why ask the question in the first place?

The question was rhetorical and the post sharing his experience. That was obvious. But at least it gave you the opportunity to have a go eh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO it'll be similar to your experience in China.   Some will have no issues and will treat you like any other human being, others will have more backward views.    One can probably say the same for most places.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I first came to Thailand in 1986. I would describe 1986 Thailand as almost a racial garden of Eden which enjoyed almost a child-like blindness to racial differences.

.... which proves how out of touch you were (and still are) about Thai society. Naive and clueless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2021 at 5:04 PM, Tim121 said:

I viewed Thailand as a tourist spot first, rather than a underdeveloped corruption hub.

I have no idea why Thailand would treat you with such disrespect.  Now as to posting this subject and then responding how you "felt" you were treated, perhaps you can gently step down from your soap box.  People generally "earn respect" It is easy to blame ones treatment on their ethnicity rather than potentially look inward and say you were treated with all the respect they felt you were due and not because of your skin color.  If you were truly treated as you say you were, did it ever occur to you ask another American teacher one that is not African American and see if they received similar treatment.  I am Caucasian.  I have not got into all the colleges I applied to, I did not get all the job that I applied for, I got fired from a job, I even got stopped a couple of times by the police.  Guess what?  In none of those instances was the fact that I was white the cause.  Maybe the same is true of you.