Phishing Email purporting to be from Thailand Post delivered to my inbox 30-12-2021

pablo el sueco

I just discovered that this topic was the subject of a different thread started in October 2021.  It was well-discussed back then.  I would post a link to that thread but I don't know how.  The title of the other thread is "Is This Thailand Post Email A Scam?".

Had I been able to discover that this topic already exists, I wouldn't have started a new thread.  Thanks and apoligies to the author of the original thread @JetsetBkk

• Like 1

I get this sort and nastier messages practically every day. I have an iPad and use it a lot, google a lot . Mostly travel forums. I went to our apple shop and complained , they said the spam and nasty messages/ demands are out of control and they can do nothing about it. I’m seriously thinking of changing my email, any thoughts if it would help ? Just the idea of the work is awful. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pablo el sueco said:

I just discovered that this topic was the subject of a different thread started in October 2021.  It was well-discussed back then.  I would post a link to that thread but I don't know how.  The title of the other thread is "Is This Thailand Post Email A Scam?".

Had I been able to discover that this topic already exists, I wouldn't have started a new thread.  Thanks and apoligies to the author of the original thread @JetsetBkk

I was thinking about that topic that was started awhile back, here's the link:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pablo el sueco said:

No problems, pablo!  (Is that your real  name, or...  ????  )

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pablo el sueco said:

No, I really don't know how it works.  The instructions just tell me to click on the link.  What happens after that is a mystery.  Can you shed more light on it?  The emails are in Thai language; is the linked website in Thai language as well?  How is the bogus fee supposed to be transferred by the victim to the grifter?  Bitcoin is the only method I can think of that can offer the bad guy some anonymity.  Does the linked website, masquerading as Thailand Post have instructions in the Thai Language requesting the victim to send 36.14 Baht in Bitcoin to some crypto Wallet?

You'll clearly be asked to send money somewhere, that's what I know.   If you need more specifics, even though you're not going to be paying anything, then click the link and find out.

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm pretty sure that "a malware installation" is categorised very differently from a "malicious operation" (a scam)?

You know how it works, you've had the instructions apparently!   You get an unsolicited email from a scammer about a delivery you know nothing about,  advising you that a small, upfront delivery fee/postage charge has to be paid for the item you're not expecting.  You pay the fee.  The end.

Not the end-they will try to take further payments of the same amount until your account is empty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You'll clearly be asked to send money somewhere, that's what I know.   If you need more specifics, even though you're not going to be paying anything, then click the link and find out.

What? You mean like...

1221983313_ThailandPostScam.jpg.4073b8075a565965123cfd9fc3197719.jpg 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What? You mean like...

1221983313_ThailandPostScam.jpg.4073b8075a565965123cfd9fc3197719.jpg 

Obviously, if that's what comes up from the link!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I received what appears to be the same scam via sms. The sms told me a parcel could not be delivered due to problams with the address and to open the URL in the message to rectify the problem by updating my address which I did with the help of my wife as the webpage was in Thai, after updating the address I was infromed that I would have to pay 10.50 baht for the change to be made and to provide credit/debit card details to pay, that's when my scam alert kicked in and I closed the page. It looked legit because the sms was in English but the Thai Post webpage was in Thai which made me think it was legit as the scammers would want you to believe that too, the problem with the webpage that it had a settings button and a drop down menu button but neither worked.

• Thanks 1