Total Omicron Cases Rise to Almost 1,000

snoop1130

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Considering about 35% of the American population are unvaccinated and about 90% are overweight or obese, that's hardly surprising is it. Any nation that refuses vaccination and has an unhealthy relationship with obesity really should not be on anyone's covid statistics and charts apart form their own as it is completely misleading to other countries figures

You're dead right there. Obesity, not only in this present virus, drives health services to the brink of ruin in the West. Once most doctors (and more importantly surgeons) were forbidden to tell patients they were too fat, being fat became widespread. 

Thai children and youngsters here are getting fatter too. It's time governments tried a bit of uncomfirtable honesty and addressed the obesity crises that have compromised personal health and state healthcare for decades.

On 12/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, cyril sneer said:

+ people don't get punished financially as much for testing positive 

Exactly.

And in the West, if you test positive, you just isolate at home.

Here, you are held in a hospital against your will for a couple of weeks and it it'll cost a few hundred thousand baht.

Regardless of the severity of your symptoms too; you could have a mild fever only or no symptoms at all and you'd be sitting in hospital, ironically, using up a bed that you don't need and all the while the bill is just racking up. Even a false positive could result in this. 

Someone somewhere is rubbing his hands together. It's a joke really.

I'd rather not take a test in Thailand personally, unless I am ill of course. 

I wonder if regular health insurance would pay out for you sitting in hospital when you are barely unwell at all?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2009 said:

I'd rather not take a test in Thailand personally, unless I am ill of course. 

I don’t think you’re alone in this?

I drove through Soi Buakhao last night and at the front of Tree Town there was a big testing operation set up with police presence. Now I don’t know whether it was for voluntary testing or a requirement for entry to Tree Town itself and there was no way that I was stopping to ask?

What I can tell you though is that all the bars in Tree Town itself which had been rather busy for the last 2 weeks previously were all rather empty and the ones on Soi Buakhao that hadn’t previously been very busy were ram packed with falangs. 

it was also a bit alarming when the receptionist of our regular hotel that we had booked for the night, told us to be careful with Covid as there was a problem in that area? This pretty much echoing what a friend had been told 2 days previously by a bar owner that he is friendly with?

I guess we won’t know the truth or severity about this for a while but from the hotel & bar owners opinion it appears that the problem is a lot worse than the authorities are letting on?

4 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

I don’t think you’re alone in this?

I drove through Soi Buakhao last night and at the front of Tree Town there was a big testing operation set up with police presence. Now I don’t know whether it was for voluntary testing or a requirement for entry to Tree Town itself and there was no way that I was stopping to ask?

What I can tell you though is that all the bars in Tree Town itself which had been rather busy for the last 2 weeks previously were all rather empty and the ones on Soi Buakhao that hadn’t previously been very busy were ram packed with falangs. 

it was also a bit alarming when the receptionist of our regular hotel that we had booked for the night, told us to be careful with Covid as there was a problem in that area? This pretty much echoing what a friend had been told 2 days previously by a bar owner that he is friendly with?

I guess we won’t know the truth or severity about this for a while but from the hotel & bar owners opinion it appears that the problem is a lot worse than the authorities are letting on?

Just another conspiracy theory. If the authorities knew the problem was worse than they have said then they would say that wouldn't they? Here they have set up a testing station with the specific aim to find out how bad the situation really is and to flush out more cases if they exist. The only reasonable conclusion is that the authorities don't know how bad the situation is and are trying to find out. The official figures will reflect exactly what the authorities know and nothing else. What possible reason could they have for hiding the real numbers and if they were then obviously they wouldn't have set up a testing station.

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Just another conspiracy theory. If the authorities knew the problem was worse than they have said then they would say that wouldn't they? 

Yep, in exactly the same way that on numerous occasions they have stated that they found no evidence of prostitution in Walking Street?

Let’s be honest, saving face is more important than anything here?

Just now, Trip Hop said:

Yep, in exactly the same way that on numerous occasions they have stated that they found no evidence of prostitution in Walking Street?

Let’s be honest, saving face is more important than anything here?

There's no equivalency. I'm not going to debate why they claim there's no prostitution. It's off topic and irrelevant. How do they save face by hiding the virus figures? It isn't the police who control those figures anyway.

25 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

There's no equivalency. I'm not going to debate why they claim there's no prostitution. It's off topic and irrelevant. How do they save face by hiding the virus figures? It isn't the police who control those figures anyway.

The police and other officials just do or say as they are told by them above them in the food chain, it’s the way it’s always been. 

On the saving face note, did you not read  a little while back about a certain government minister saying that he had this and Omicron was no match for Thailand?

7 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

The police and other officials just do or say as they are told by them above them in the food chain, it’s the way it’s always been. 

On the saving face note, did you not read  a little while back about a certain government minister saying that he had this and Omicron was no match for Thailand?

If they were motivated to hide the number of reported cases then why set up a testing center? The Occam's Razor explanation is that they setup a testing center to find more cases, it's that simple. Nothing to see here. No conspiracy to hide anything and if they were trying to hide something they are apparently doing just the opposite.

Edited by ozimoron