When would be the best time to apply for a covid extension to my single entry tourist visa?

I have just got a 30 day extension to my SETV, which now runs out in early February. The current deadline for COVID extensions is Tuesday the 25th of January.

The "safest" option might be to head down to Phuket immigration a week early, say on Tuesday the 18th of January. It should be quiet at that time, and if for some reason my COVID extension is rejected, it still gives me some time to find an alternative.

A riskier option is to wait and see if they make an announcement about another COVID extension deadline. These announcements seem to come at the last minute (assuming that they do come), so we probably won't hear anything until Friday the 21st, or even Monday the 24th.

If they do make an announcement, I can use the last 3 weeks remaining on my visa and visit Phuket immigration at a quiet moment. If no announcement is made about an extension, then I would be expecting bedlam at immigration on Monday/Tuesday as every remaining tourist tries to squeeze in one last extension.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ohno

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtain your covid extension prior to Jan 25.

Your 60 day permit should be dated from any existing permission of stay. In your case early Feb.

Don't even consider waiting till after Jan 25.

That seems like solid advice. I was sure I read somewhere on this forum that immigration might just add 60 days to the date that you applied for the COVID extension, and ignore any time remaining on your visa?

That could of course have been nonsense ???? What you say makes more sense to me.

32 minutes ago, ohno said:

That could of course have been nonsense ???? What you say makes more sense to me.

As usual there is always confusion with the inconsistency of Thai immigration offices.

There is a report in another current thread where guy used an agent. This was in Bangkok..

Personally, without knowing your itinerary it's something I would consider given timing etc. 

That fee was ~5k (which includes extension fee 1900baht).

It's a suggestion more to do with timing and no under consideration stamp that I would find attractive. 

Here is thread discussing covid extensions. 

Edited by DrJack54

That's an interesting possibility, DrJack. I'm not aware of reports of Phuket Immigration turning down COVID extensions, so since this would be my first one I am inclined to go down there early and see if luck is on my side.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

With the Omicron  rise, and other countries still closed, and many airlines canceled... it very likely it will be another extension  given.  Borders arent open and this seems to be the main reason they keep allowing

Agree, however anyone able (and need)  to apply for a covid extension should do prior to Jan 25.

The 60 days should commence from when current permission of stay ends and not from date they apply. 

• Like 1

Are we talking about the same 60 days tourist visa that I came to Thailand with or the STV ? 

My tourist visa 60 days ends on 29 th January which will be Saturday when immigration will be closed, I was thinking of going the day earlier (28th) & hoping for another 60 days tourist visa extension if immigration will do that??

I've not heard about the Covid extension until now which could end on 25th January, I'm not sure about visa extension applications so will it be advisable to get an agent involved as I'm looking for 60 more days = 120 days in total.

Any advice will be welcome.

You can obtain a 30 day (once only) extension to your tourist visa.

Do that prior to expiry of current permission of stay. You can obtain the 30 day extension couple of weeks prior to expiry. Don't leave it to last few days. 

Regarding covid extensions you could apply for one if they are extended post Jan 25.

You cannot obtain a covid extension prior to the 30 day standard extension. 

Edited by DrJack54

Regarding your 30 day extension to your tourist visa .......

I do believe that this particular one time extension can be given at the small tourist friendly immigration office in Patong without the need to go to the main immigration office in Phuket Town.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ray richards said:

Are we talking about the same 60 days tourist visa that I came to Thailand with or the STV ? 

My tourist visa 60 days ends on 29 th January which will be Saturday when immigration will be closed, I was thinking of going the day earlier (28th) & hoping for another 60 days tourist visa extension if immigration will do that??

I've not heard about the Covid extension until now which could end on 25th January, I'm not sure about visa extension applications so will it be advisable to get an agent involved as I'm looking for 60 more days = 120 days in total.

Any advice will be welcome.

Judging by my recent experience, you can go to Phuket Immigration a week or more early (Friday 22nd Jan or before in your case) and they will give you a 30 day extension for your 60 day Tourist Visa. As another poster said, Patong Immigration is very friendly and convenient.

I think you need to apply for the 30 day extension before you can get a COVID extension.