DUI in Thailand: RTP warned of possible 10 year prison terms

webfact

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Has anyone, other than a foreigner, ever been jailed here for DUI.  I know a man in Udon who has been stopped 3 times, and crashed once while UI of alcohol.  He paid a fine, paid the other folks off and is still driving.  Of course he is Thai and someone who has money.  Another friend, a foreigner in Chiang Mai was stopped at a checkpoint, tested, arrested, spent the night in jail, paid the 20k fine the next morning when sobered up, and returned to pick up his bike after paying a 5k impound fee from the police storage area the next day and he was never prosecuted or did he loose his license.

He's my story, about 5 years ago I was getting ready to go into 7/11 at about 7.00pm and I seen a Thai guy in a old truck pull up and go into 7/11 he was walking real funny. There was a policeman outside at the time ready to walk in when this guy came out with a bottle of whiskey in his hand. He swayed at every move and when he got to his truck he couldn't get his key into the door to open it. It must of took him 5 min. and the policeman just watched him drive off. Very sad but true story.

• Like 2

..."When a death is caused by a drunk driver the penalty is 3-10 years in prison and a fine of 60-200,000 baht.",.......Except if the drunk driver is rich, belongs to a rich powerful family and is connected !?!?!?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Has anyone, other than a foreigner, ever been jailed here for DUI.  I know a man in Udon who has been stopped 3 times, and crashed once while UI of alcohol.  He paid a fine, paid the other folks off and is still driving.  Of course he is Thai and someone who has money.  Another friend, a foreigner in Chiang Mai was stopped at a checkpoint, tested, arrested, spent the night in jail, paid the 20k fine the next morning when sobered up, and returned to pick up his bike after paying a 5k impound fee from the police storage area the next day and he was never prosecuted or did he loose his license.

I got fined a few years ago in Sakhon Nakhon for driving wrong way in a one way street.  It was a temporary one way due to some festival on an oval nearby.  I actually followed a car around the corner and didnt see any sign.  Both our cars got fined.  I had to go to the local police station to pay the fine and lo and behold the other driver was there too.  But he was very obviously rotten drunk and shouting about the amount of fine he had to pay.  No notice at all was taken of the fact he could barely stand nor that he was reeking of whiskey.  Eventually he calmed down, paid his fine, and went out and drove off in his car!!  The officer who issued the ticket on the road obviously didnt give a toss he was drunk when fined and neither did the sergeant at the police station. 

Oh what a wonderful statement from the Major General, the very next time I get stopped and asked to blow by a RETP Officer that smells of alcohol, then ( never drink and drive ) will ask for that officer to be tested as well if they refuse then make an official complaint. They are the most hypocritical Police Force I have ever known . ( BTW served 30 years British police . 

• Haha 1

Good news. The only way such an embedded culture of drinking and driving can be stamped out is with extremely harsh penalties. I also think that causing death whilst DUI should be punished with the death sentence.

17 minutes ago, RobU said:

Good news. The only way such an embedded culture of drinking and driving can be stamped out is with extremely harsh penalties. I also think that causing death whilst DUI should be punished with the death sentence.

You would welcome these penalties to every country in the world, cos even with harsh strict policing and cameras everywhere and harsh penalties,  UK has over 80,000 DUI a year and USA has roughly 1.5 Million DUI's in any given year.

It's the nature of the drug, it's a drug that many people want more of and more and just another and one more for the road.

Zero tolerance, death sentence for offenders, life without parole for wine gums, Bananas have Alcohol, 50 year sentence per banana maybe, crucifixion for eating Bread also ?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

You would welcome these penalties to every country in the world, cos even with harsh strict policing and cameras everywhere and harsh penalties,  UK has over 80,000 DUI a year and USA has roughly 1.5 Million DUI's in any given year.

It's the nature of the drug, it's a drug that many people want more of and more and just another and one more for the road.

Zero tolerance, death sentence for offenders, life without parole for wine gums, Bananas have Alcohol, 50 year sentence per banana maybe, crucifixion for eating Bread also ?

Of course,! I am so glad that you agree with me. Wine gums are very addictive fed to children by the alcohol industry like soft drugs and then encouraged to move on to the hard stuff when they are 18. ( A ridiculous answer to your ridiculous statement????????????) you failed to give proportions is as percentage of the driving population for each country and you gave no 'statistics' whatsoever for Thailand. You use what you think is a very clever wokey form of misdirection using raw statistics without context and proper interpretation

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, off road pat said:

..."When a death is caused by a drunk driver the penalty is 3-10 years in prison and a fine of 60-200,000 baht.",.......Except if the drunk driver is rich, belongs to a rich powerful family and is connected !?!?!?

Absolutely. My wife's brother was killed by a drunk driver who ploughed into him as he helped at the scene of a previous accident. Didn't die immediately but clung into life for a week in ICU before succumbing to appalling injuries.

Wife's family received nothing, the drunk never faced court and his only punishment was paying off the police.

Accident 3 week's ago.

My wifes cousin was rammed into by a drunk driver.

The guys not in jail.

It was 11:00 am in the morning.  You'd hope it would be safer around that time.

Hes alive, just a torn ligament in his leg.

D748FB96-547C-4A50-9A6A-FE0C4058CDDF.png

C357DA35-DD61-4581-9A27-2526073764AA.png

9A1329BE-884E-43FC-860D-6A4AAEA27BB2.png

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The fact that there are so many concurrent DUI and RTA threads on this forum highlights how this is all nothing but pure theatre... 

Those in positions of decision making power just do not care at all....

If I owned this forum I'd put as many DUI and RTA threads as possible, they are hubs of Thai Bashing and guaranteed to generate clicks, clicks = Revenue.

• Like 1