DUI in Thailand: RTP warned of possible 10 year prison terms

webfact

35 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Has anyone, other than a foreigner, ever been jailed here for DUI.  I know a man in Udon who has been stopped 3 times, and crashed once while UI of alcohol.  He paid a fine, paid the other folks off and is still driving.  Of course he is Thai and someone who has money.  Another friend, a foreigner in Chiang Mai was stopped at a checkpoint, tested, arrested, spent the night in jail, paid the 20k fine the next morning when sobered up, and returned to pick up his bike after paying a 5k impound fee from the police storage area the next day and he was never prosecuted or did he loose his license.

I still think the foreigner at least learned his lesson. I mean 20k and then 5 k plus a night of jail. Not something that id want to happen to me. 

The Thai probably paid a lot too, but that is the problem. 

But both have not caused an accident so the max is around 20k.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Another friend, a foreigner in Chiang Mai was stopped at a checkpoint, tested, arrested, spent the night in jail, paid the 20k fine the next morning when sobered up, and returned to pick up his bike after paying a 5k impound

In general, this sounds like being busted for weed on Koh Phangan.  They lock the kid up, scare them shirtless for a few days, take them to court and make them sweat, and then told all will be well, just hand over ~$3,000 US.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Has anyone, other than a foreigner, ever been jailed here for DUI.  I know a man in Udon who has been stopped 3 times, and crashed once while UI of alcohol.  He paid a fine, paid the other folks off and is still driving.  Of course he is Thai and someone who has money.  Another friend, a foreigner in Chiang Mai was stopped at a checkpoint, tested, arrested, spent the night in jail, paid the 20k fine the next morning when sobered up, and returned to pick up his bike after paying a 5k impound fee from the police storage area the next day and he was never prosecuted or did he loose his license.

I do. A French guy living in Sisaket. He went to spend a WE in Ubon and been caught at a checkpoint. Drunk. He went to the court. Told me you see the juge on a TV, you don't even go in the "room". This story is about 7 years ago. If I don't make any mystake, he had a fine and a probation. Being caught another time in the following 3 years and he would have been sent to jail. I don't remember the duration on the other hand and I do not want to give false info, but what I remember well is that he was very careful because the sentence was, around 2 years, something thing like that (the blood alcohol level to be taken into account).

Has someone opened a private prison to accommodate those convicted?

Perhaps realistic public education campaigne on driving and alcohol could assit in lower numbers.

Confiscation and destruction of vehicles of repeat offenders would assist in lowering recidivision 

Make a jail sentence mandatory (worldwide) on the spot, car confiscated and watch the cases drop over 6 months as it gets plastered across social media of people jailed

Same with using a phone. Immediate confiscation of car or bike on the spot.

Fannying around with ifs buts maybe's sick grannies and buffalo's with 5 legs

Hit em hard bang em up. Job sorted. ????

Edited by Chivas
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Try to stop the drivers while they are driving as in by doing actual patrol enforcement.  They, the RTP, have been taught the indicators to look for, and how to give field sobriety tests, but alas it is always just easier to do a checkpoint and have them blow in the PAS Device.

They stopped doing check points where I live so the only way to catch the DUI is when they have a accident or when they hit a tree. With a 10 year jail term on the cards don't you think, they should be building a lot more jails. 

I would like to know where were all the police check points over the weekend? I drove from Khon Kaen to Kalison on Friday and back to Khon Kaen on Saturday afternoon and not one police checkpoint the whole time. How many DUI drivers on the road at those times? anyones guess.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A first offence that doesn't result in an accident can see a driver fined 5,000 to 20,000 baht and lose their licence for at least 6 months. 

But causing accidents sees the driver jailed from 1-5 years and/or a fine of 20-100,000 baht or 2-6 years and 40-120,000 baht.

When a death is caused by a drunk driver the penalty is 3-10 years in prison and a fine of 60-200,000 baht. 

Don't talk about it DO IT.

Immediately.

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

If they jailed Thais for DUI the jails would be overflowing.

1st DUI [no injuries] 6 months in an army boot camp, no visitation rights, vehicle is crushed.

Injuries or 2nd offence automatic one year in prison.

Death in any instance 10 years for manslaughter.

MANDATORY

• Like 2