Japanese media hopes that old trains sent to Thailand won't rust away like one in 2016

webfact

You have to cut costs on other stuff , if you want to buy 2x subs from China and  8x F-35 from USA.

You also have to do some maintenance on them, otherwise they are done in a jiffy.

Of course the trains arent that important ????, but you could paint them again.

However maintenance in Thailand has not much priority.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tgw said:

If Thai Railroads were any good, there would be performant rail transport between the country's most important spots.

Bangkok - Chonburi - Pattaya - Rayong

Bangkok - Patchaburi - Hua Hin - Chumphon - Surat Thani

Bangkok - Chiang Mai with some relevant stops

and

Bangkok - Korat - Khon Kaen - Udon - Vientiane

should be no brainers and built for 200 Kph, with one train every hour at least.

I would be so happy if there was a good commute between Pattaya railway station and Bangkok.

They got that huge rail yard at Huai Kwang and it seems there is big construction work going on there... I wonder when the tracks in the provinces will also be worked on.

I assume you've done a study that supports the need and frequency of the services you list?

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I assume you've done a study that supports the need and frequency of the services you list?

it's a matter of development strategy.

infrastructure often creates its own market.

I'd say building low-emissions infrastructures that take traffic off the streets is the way to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I get an image if Japan offering them free and Thailand jumping at it before they knew what they were getting. 

If this ones been in service in Hokkaido I can imagine the life its had... especially in winter.

4 hours ago, tgw said:

If Thai Railroads were any good, there would be performant rail transport between the country's most important spots.

Bangkok - Chonburi - Pattaya - Rayong

Bangkok - Patchaburi - Hua Hin - Chumphon - Surat Thani

Bangkok - Chiang Mai with some relevant stops

and

Bangkok - Korat - Khon Kaen - Udon - Vientiane

should be no brainers and built for 200 Kph, with one train every hour at least.

I would be so happy if there was a good commute between Pattaya railway station and Bangkok.

They got that huge rail yard at Huai Kwang and it seems there is big construction work going on there... I wonder when the tracks in the provinces will also be worked on.

Most tracks in the provinces are very well maintained, actually.

However, metregauge in Thailand and elsewhere, is not really great for anything faster as 150-160 km/h, it can be done but needs a lot of work in bends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

You have to cut costs on other stuff , if you want to buy 2x subs from China and  8x F-35 from USA.

You also have to do some maintenance on them, otherwise they are done in a jiffy.

Of course the trains arent that important ????, but you could paint them again.

However maintenance in Thailand has not much priority.

Maintenance is a buzzword in Thailand, just look at used cars

Thats exactly whats going to happen.

Everyone knows its just another scam at the expense of the taxpayers

Delivery costs were astronomical.

Still better than they could make in Thailand though.

"42.5 million baht in transportation costs"

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/japan-donates-used-diesel-trains-thais-criticise-acquisition-over-transport-costs

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if those who bought the trains

Pretty sure these were free, all graft/corruption was used on the shipping.

BANGKOK (NNT) - The State Railway of Thailand has stressed the used trains from Japan it is receiving as a donation are still in good condition. The state railway operator will need to pay for the transportation of the 17 train carriages at a cost of 42.5 million baht.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210910214733775

• Like 1