'You joking?': UK woman's Thailand holiday turns to quarantine horror

webfact

56 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

they are not pushing them, they simply don't stop them moving out from France, free movement ????

That,s right, they are not interested to stop them so in my point of view I call this pushing. Those who managed to cross the Calais narrow will remain, multiply and live long and happy on social welfare in the UK. In 2020 ; 8,460, in 2021 ; 17,063.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

That,s right, they are not interested to stop them so in my point of view I call this pushing. Those who managed to cross the Calais narrow will remain, multiply and live long and happy on social welfare in the UK. In 2020 ; 8,460, in 2021 ; 17,063.

If you were French, especially if you lived in Calais, what would YOU do?

PH

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 2:48 PM, bendejo said:

Maybe if she did things like pre-trip research, considered contingencies etc her travel tales wouldn't get much attention in Social Media Land.  But maybe that's part of the entitlement of the younger generation: we don't need planning, the world should have these things laid out for us.

Once was in Hat Yai waiting at a mini-bus office to get to Penang, chatting with the lad who runs the desk.  Two girls from somewhere in northern Europe appear, they looked younger than 18.  I asked if they had any Malaysian money, I'd buy if off them.  They wouldn't even look at me.  They tell the lad they want a minivan to Bangkok.  The lad doesn't understand them.  It's the minivan that's the problem, I have to translate to minibus for him several times.  The girl who is doing all the talking (in English) keeps confusing him by saying minivan.  As he's writing out  their tickets I ask him how long it takes to get to Bkk, he says "11 hours."  The two respond in unison "11 hours !?!???"  Didn't sound right, since from Chumphon it takes 8 hours, so my guess would be at least 15.  Maybe at a suicidal speed...

They wandered off, probably to find another kiosk who would promise them a shorter time span.  Ever think to look at a map, girls?

Wow, a new class of people for us to bash. Thanks. What should we call them? I know, how about "millennials"?

Edited by gargamon

14 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yes, unless it's for family or work there's really no reason to come here IMO.

Certainly not for tourism.

A bit off topic , but 

Can you book LHR -HKT one way 

Then book a return flight from BKK -LHR  ?

Only thinking of doing the phuket sandbox for 7 nights then leaving from BKK.

50 minutes ago, Apiwan2 said:

A bit off topic , but 

Can you book LHR -HKT one way 

Then book a return flight from BKK -LHR  ?

Only thinking of doing the phuket sandbox for 7 nights then leaving from BKK.

I don't see a problem with that.

I believe once you've done your 7 days in Phuket you're free to go where you want.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:10 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Out of interest, did you know what would happen if tested positive?

Yes 100% knew the risks, loads of research etc, it was my chance to get back, so I took alll the safety measures I could to limit that possibility

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 4:48 AM, bendejo said:

But maybe that's part of the entitlement of the younger generation: we don't need planning, the world should have these things laid out for us.

It isn't the case, now. But it used to be that a lot of the appeal of coming to Thailand was indeed just hopping on a plane and arriving without much of a plan. That is what attracted so many younger tourists from the West. Thai tourism will not recover until those freewheeling days return.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, John Drake said:

It isn't the case, now. But it used to be that a lot of the appeal of coming to Thailand was indeed just hopping on a plane and arriving without much of a plan. That is what attracted so many younger tourists from the West. Thai tourism will not recover until those freewheeling days return.

It wasn't just for Thailand, I saw the same among the young travelers in Latin America:  follow the crowd, and if there is no one to follow at the moment fall back on the LP guidebook (do those even exist anymore?). 

I was in my 20s in the 1970s when I started traveling (back when you could go overland from Europe to East Asia without much visa hassle  -- there was a 5-year window when peace broke out).  Getting away from tourist destinations/getting off the beaten path was a priority for me, I would say it was for about half the travelers, the other half sought a cool scene and never went beyond Goa or K-du.  Memories of people getting off the Magic Bus in Delhi, still wearing their London fashions, asking where is a cool place to go. 

Among the backpacker types in Thailand in the past 25 or so years it was rare to find people striking out on their own.  Incurious would be an apt adjective.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 5:36 AM, Isaanlife said:

And Thailand wonders why no tourists are coming?

You get on a plain negative and hours later Thailand tells you that you are positive and to pay the quarantine.

Sounds suspicious?

Imported case. Its everywhere, even in Singapore,  almost daily imported case. I could be one. 3 weeks in Thailand in Nov, and 3 weeks in Cambodia during New Year. I travel, I face the risk. Accept it. If cannot stomach it, stay home. Period.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2022 at 6:48 PM, Phulublub said:

How do you know the insurance she (and others) have will not pay up?  Or is this just another chance for some trouble free Thai bashing?

PH

Sorry, I guess I didn't see that she bought insurance from a Thai company. Must have slipped by me. I was commenting on all insurance companies.