'You joking?': UK woman's Thailand holiday turns to quarantine horror

webfact

10 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

Im curious to know what population of incoming Thai Nationals have tested positive upon arrival and consequently have had to go stay hospitel...

I expect an absolute minuscule amount given Thais are not really traveling abroad, and of those that are if its anything like the Test & Go then a very tiny % of that very tiny amount- a handful maybe. You would expect given the public uproar of them not doing so, that they are going to Hospitel's or State Quarantine like anyone else. Or even Home Isolation which is still possible if your circumstances permit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Have I missed something here?

Not sure that is the correct word?

I understood besotted to mean infatuated with someone.

For example, I was besotted with my geography teacher ???? 

It can mean foolish but I have only ever heard it used to mean infatuation. Maybe so infatuated that you behave(or appear to behave) foolishly? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

And Thailand wonders why no tourists are coming?

You get on a plain negative and hours later Thailand tells you that you are positive and to pay the quarantine.

Sounds suspicious?

You really think it sounds suspicious to test positive after travelling from a country which...

- On average has 192,000 new Covid-19 cases each day. 

- Where there are currently 2.8 million active infections.

- Where the ‘positive tester’ has passed through a major international airport.

Nothing suspicious about that at all - It would be highlights suspicious if no one was testing positive upon arrival. 

Of course, that wouldn’t play into your ’Thailand bad - Thailand rip-off’ narrative which you seem to want to allude to. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Maybe if she did things like pre-trip research, considered contingencies etc her travel tales wouldn't get much attention in Social Media Land.  But maybe that's part of the entitlement of the younger generation: we don't need planning, the world should have these things laid out for us.

Once was in Hat Yai waiting at a mini-bus office to get to Penang, chatting with the lad who runs the desk.  Two girls from somewhere in northern Europe appear, they looked younger than 18.  I asked if they had any Malaysian money, I'd buy if off them.  They wouldn't even look at me.  They tell the lad they want a minivan to Bangkok.  The lad doesn't understand them.  It's the minivan that's the problem, I have to translate to minibus for him several times.  The girl who is doing all the talking (in English) keeps confusing him by saying minivan.  As he's writing out  their tickets I ask him how long it takes to get to Bkk, he says "11 hours."  The two respond in unison "11 hours !?!???"  Didn't sound right, since from Chumphon it takes 8 hours, so my guess would be at least 15.  Maybe at a suicidal speed...

They wandered off, probably to find another kiosk who would promise them a shorter time span.  Ever think to look at a map, girls?

Hat Yai are improving their honesty level then, when I did it they told me 9 hours. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Olssson said:

It is really saddening to read these stories again and again. The other day was a Norwegian family which had ended up in quarantine hospital because a family member had tested positive for Covid-19.

Imagine being in their place and all the hopes of being in a nice and relaxing holidays turns into a nightmare of quarantine and isolation in a second when your test shows positive. It is not really worth all the risks of traveling at this point of time IMHO and I don’t think most people are aware of those risks.  

To be fair not doing your homework on where you are traveling to is not an excuse BUT even the big travel companies like Tui do not inform their clients of the risks or requirements to enter Thailand. I have had three sets of friends suddenly pop up and say they are coming to see us in Thailand, deposit paid to Tui with balance to follow. When I asked if they had their Thailand Pass for entry , quarantine hotel for test & release (as it was last ear) they just glazed over wondering what the f*c* I was talking about. Long story short they were told nothing of restriction being told its their responsibility  to check entry requirements. One single male traveler fully refunded, one couple that just want a holiday with no bul<deleted> requirements have had deposit switched to all inclusive resort in Mexico, 3rd couple already here after spending hours with them doing all on-line forms and visa's back in December and fortunately had the pass before it was stopped. Now enjoying Thailand in Bang Saray and were prepared to jump through hoops as were staying for 4 - 6 months. They were very aware of the what would happen if 24 hour test & go came in positive and like myself are more than happy to quarantine at home should they contract Covid while in Thailand which I did and have.

Very Naive for people to think they wont get it and should prepare fore the worse even if fully jabbed with booster. Still wont protect you but will make the illness much milder and more importantly much shorter, (in most cases) even with underlying conditions like me with diabetes.. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Well.....on the positive...she has all the time in world now to live in her Tik Tok world!!

Oh my god I"ve never actually laughed out loud reading comments before but this was the one.  

Nobody - nobody should be surprised that you have to quarantine after testing positive and the outcome could be like that!  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

I can think of a million other things that are sad, this not one of them. Those rolling the dice, and taking these ridiculous chances to go holiday overseas, crazzzzy

Sad,no, just plain dumb, & then when sh!te hits the fans, it's everyone elses fault. GTFO.

Well that's an eloquent way to put that this person is nothing more than just plain stupid.  

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

Maybe the Thai embassies globally need a pamphlet warning about what happens when you test positive. Give them away with visa applications. 

Old skool.... Visa applications are online now... 

The same information could / should be presented in Q&A sections on the Embassy web pages and also on the Thailand Pass application site. 

• Like 2

Over the top again on coverage concerning Covid-19 

When you travel to any country including Thailand you should be prepared for the unexpected ie positive test plus should be insured as well 

And don't forget the spending money 

After the 10 day quarantine enjoy your stay in Thailand 

8 hours ago, Jeff Olssson said:

I am afraid there are many cases which point to the contrary.

I really don’t know what they think or how much they know about the risks but it seems to me that these are normal families who probably think traveling to Thailand is the same as traveling in Europe nowadays.

Right. The enormity of the risk doesn't hit them until they get here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKPaul67 said:

Well she knew the risks, my trip went completely smoothly with no problems at all.

Had a fantastic time and wish I was still there ????

Many Thai and also in hotels speak a little English now.

No point her complaining ????

What is the probability of turning up positive after just getting a negative result within 72 hours?

9 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm sorry, regardless of whether this woman makes a TikTock living out outta this stuff it's stupid.

Who in their corn fed mind gets on a long haul flight to any tin pot third world country without knowing the risks that rules will change on a dime, and you risk either deportation or your two week vacation holed up somewhere in quarantine.

No sympathy sorry to say 

Exactly the same scenario in some respects to an English woman who visited Cyprus a few months ago, she ended up in (Non) isolation with asylum seekers, and thats not "A tin Pot third World Country" 

Whole worlds gone mad....

Edited by Jiggo

5 hours ago, Jack West Jr said:

Stop blaming tourists . My advice to travellers : steer clear of Thailand , do NOT come unless you need to be here . E.g. my wife who will somehow has to make it back . She will be carrying a test kit , as this whole quarantine thing is starting to look like a government/hospital/hotel scam .

It does seem to be at best a racket to boost to the coffers of the beleaguered hotel industry, I went through quarantine 14 days twice to get back to work, plus insurance. But has it degenerated to a scam? It would be  interesting to know which hotel it was and if it has happened to any other guests of that particular hotel. If those two were a target they wouldn't exactly be flush with money but on the other hand, can't speak any Thai, no company to help, don't know anyone in Thailand, no back up.