'You joking?': UK woman's Thailand holiday turns to quarantine horror

webfact

23 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

It's no different, other than the travel and cost, than the numpties in Pattaya complaining about taking a ATK test prior to being allowed into a 'restaurant'.

Brandishing vaccine certificates or passports.

These aren't real vaccines, you can still have the virus and get the virus and spread the virus.

The inoculation significantly reduces your chance of severe illness, ICU admission and being put on a ventilator.

Real vaccines prevent you ever getting a disease, polio etc.

RE - Real vaccines prevent you ever getting a disease, polio etc.

* That's not completely correct ...

Can you still get polio if you've been vaccinated? (wikilivre.org)

1 minute ago, Phulublub said:

Making a bit of an effort can make a huge difference.

I doubt what she could pick up on the flight over would be of much use to her in her current situation. My Thai is rather limited, sadly, but I am often surprised in odd places how I can come across good English here, the BHP, the driving licence place and others. Stressed out tourists, who have no idea what is going on or happening to them, should be afforded communication. 

• Like 2

That's the risk you take when you travel out here now. Know the rules and be ready in case you test positive.

As screwed up as this country is at the moment I don't know why anyone would come out here for a vacation to be honest.

It's important in the age of covid to do some serious homework about where you're going and what the risks are.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Thats another interesting point - the norwegian family you reffered to chose to book their entire stay in the quarantine hotel this to dont risk to pay for another hotel they couldnt do the quarantine in if they tested positive, but they were moved to a hospital quarantine for an additional cost without the need of medical care ... This UK woman could make the 10 days quarantine in a hotel. Not easy to make plans to reduce risk of extra cost when you anyway seems to end up making the quarantine where you not already have paid in advance ....

Yes, that is part of the risks I was referring to because if someone in a family tests positive, then all of them are at the mercy of Thai authorities as to how the case will be handled and either them or their insurance company must pay the induced extra costs.

Edited by Jeff Olssson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

I just do not understand why people are coming to Thailand for a holiday during this pandemic. Forced isolation would keep me well away. I understand if you have family here or perhaps even property, but for a holiday go somewhere where the rules less strict.

Totally agree,

or better still just holiday in your own country.

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

On a serious note, why is she blaming Thailand?

By that I mean, why does she realise that Thailand is the same as everywhere else?

If you test positive in any country in the world (that I'm aware of), you have to quarantine.

She would have been in the same situation in most foreign countries.

Exactly, what happened to the forced hospital incarceration that everyone goes on about.

Thailand is no  different to other countries, although some seem to think that that the self isolation used elsewhere means you can do as you please. Many would prefer to forget that to a visitor, self isolation is quarantine. Did mine at the Holiday Inn at Gatwick.

When I went to the UK I had to do 4 PCR tests, pre departure, Day 2, Day 5 & Day 8. Had I tested positive on the Day 8 test, result was 10 days after I arrived, I would have been faced with another 10 days "quarantine".

You must factor in potential problems, why I went for 8 weeks. it is either that or stay at home.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LiamB80 said:

I tested positive for covid during ASQ back in July. They took me by ambulance to the covid hospitel for 2 weeks. It really was a horrible experience and its true, nobody spoke English. I was the the only foreigner there, some of the Thais were taking photos of me like I was a zoo animal. They put you in the room and tell you nothing. The only person that spoke English was a doctor that called my room every few days. Every meal was horrible and you’re only given water to drink. It was a glorified jail. I feel bad for her and anyone that has to go through it.

Why did you not go to the private hospital that your ASQ hotel was affiliated with?

15 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

It is not so much that she (and many others) do not speak Thai.  It is the entitled attitude that everyone ought to speak English. 

I have travelled extensively and wherever I have gone I have made the effort to at least learn to say hello, please, thank you before travel, and to expand my vocabulary as I can.  The fact that English is the most widely used language in the World does not mean that native English speakers should expect everyone, wherever they go, to speak it.  Making a bit of an effort can make a huge difference.

PH

Agree with your sentiments, however, the very basics of the language are not going to help much in these situations. 

Nor is it any fault of the hotel staff, who have been handed the onerous task of dealing with these situations and procedures.

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

I think you have to wave your arms around a lot and do an interpretive dance

Oh is that all, I can do that…

step one: mine action of the landing plane

Step two: mimic a Covid test being administered (possibly rub finger on inside of mouth and then stick up nose)

Step three: using your fingers make the sign of an = followed by a + sign. 

Step four: point to person you are talking to. 

Step five: make an r shape with your body. (This could be done by keeping your back straight and putting your arms in front of you, extended with hands curled downwards at the end.)

Step six: mimic the action of someone being f****d from behind.

Step seven: Repeat as necessary. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Dance steps included
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

I just do not understand why people are coming to Thailand for a holiday during this pandemic. Forced isolation would keep me well away. I understand if you have family here or perhaps even property, but for a holiday go somewhere where the rules less strict.

Yet the Thai tourism agencies and government have been singing from the rooftops to get tourists coming back.

When they do (perhaps unwisely) this sort of thing happens.

"Thailand Trusted Destination" - isn't that the new slogan?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

If you are always on social media there are things that you should know.

Testing positive in any country except your own will cost you a lot of money, that is the risk of traveling these days.

That is why i bought local insurance for my trip to Thailand, no way my insurance company is going to pay for me to be in a hospital if i am not sick.

This does makes a good post and maybe some cheddar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm sorry, regardless of whether this woman makes a TikTock living out outta this stuff it's stupid.

Who in their corn fed mind gets on a long haul flight to any tin pot third world country without knowing the risks that rules will change on a dime, and you risk either deportation or your two week vacation holed up somewhere in quarantine.

No sympathy sorry to say 

A week or two ago I heard a lady on the Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2 in the UK. She said that she had been flying from London to Cape Town (about 12 hours). She said that whilst flying the rules in South Africa had changed drastically, and by the time she heard the news, I think on the day she landed, every flight from SA to Europe had been booked up, for a long time!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

A week or two ago I heard a lady on the Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2 in the UK. She said that she had been flying from London to Cape Town (about 12 hours). She said that whilst flying the rules in South Africa had changed drastically, and by the time she heard the news, I think on the day she landed, every flight from SA to Europe had been booked up, for a long time!

Did she state why she was traveling in a worldwide pandemic ?

was it essential travel or holiday ?

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Infatuated was not what you were you were just horny ????

My geography teacher was an old geezer , only female teacher was Miss Coles , and I mean you couldn't .

Nasty school , nasty teachers.  How about a topic  'Did you enjoy your school years ? '. Met some good mates though.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Yet the Thai tourism agencies and government have been singing from the rooftops to get tourists coming back.

When they do (perhaps unwisely) this sort of thing happens.

"Thailand Trusted Destination" - isn't that the new slogan?

Well i thought the world understood Thailand tells Fibs a lot. :giggle:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Did she state why she was traveling in a worldwide pandemic ?

was it essential travel or holiday ?

I think she was going to see family in CT, so probably not absolutely essential.

I last left Thailand on March 27th 2020, 11 days early, so as not to be caught out. That was just as the pandemic was getting going! Thailand was starting to shut down, so not much point in staying anyway.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

1) exactly the headlines the Tourism Authority of Thailand has been looking for
2) kissing another x-thousands of potential travellers good bye
3) this lady, together with anybody else without a particular reason (work, family) really should avoid Thailand like the pest. There are many alternatives of countries run by people with more common sense (well, that's not THAT difficult though) all over the planet so Thailand is not a MUST, not now nor never ever again in the future. In short - stay away - if you can! 

6 hours ago, Jeff Olssson said:

I am afraid there are many cases which point to the contrary.

I really don’t know what they think or how much they know about the risks but it seems to me that these are normal families who probably think traveling to Thailand is the same as traveling in Europe nowadays.

Lets be clear on this ,in order to get here one needed Thai pass which included showing vaccination status   taking an official pcr test fit to fly 72 or less hrs before flying , full insurance , confirmed booking at Thai sh+ hotel to include another pcr test .

So no chance of probably thinking its the same as Europe ( which btw you also need lots of docs to do).

Risk you take yes but a lot to do before getting here .

She'll have insurance which will cover the quarantine .

Really a non story in my view but hey it gets people reading and the mostly ill informed commenting .

Btw i arrived back on 25th dec so do know what is needed to get here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LiamB80 said:

I tested positive for covid during ASQ back in July. They took me by ambulance to the covid hospitel for 2 weeks. It really was a horrible experience and its true, nobody spoke English. I was the the only foreigner there, some of the Thais were taking photos of me like I was a zoo animal. They put you in the room and tell you nothing. The only person that spoke English was a doctor that called my room every few days. Every meal was horrible and you’re only given water to drink. It was a glorified jail. I feel bad for her and anyone that has to go through it.

An experience of the real world where creature comforts are different from what one has taken for granted in your home country. 

Edited by Gandtee
spelling

5 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Have I missed something here?

Not sure that is the correct word?

I understood besotted to mean infatuated with someone.

For example, I was besotted with my geography teacher ???? 

Yes, very odd indeed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

"Turns into Quarantine horror" ... what absolute nonsense and BS. Typical attention grabbing. She is lucky to be in good care and in a hotel quarantine and as for "non-one speaks English" what a load of rubbish.  For once the slander laws could serve a useful purpose - she should apologise at once.

"Quarantine horror" is from the "Yahoo News" headline. She isn't quoted anywhere saying that herself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dialemco said:

It's all very sad. The best advice is not to travel to Thailand until Covid is under control and the entry requirements are very clear and unambiguous. It appears that the Government makes the rules for entry into Thailand but that provincial Governors have the authority to make other rules.  

I can think of a million other things that are sad, this not one of them. Those rolling the dice, and taking these ridiculous chances to go holiday overseas, crazzzzy

Sad,no, just plain dumb, & then when sh!te hits the fans, it's everyone elses fault. GTFO.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1