Pub-like Eateries to Be Closed at Level 4 COVID Alert

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Those in the small towns with a big house and pool are lucky. Im lucky too to have access to a pool. At least that makes things a bit nicer. But it was all far more fun before. Able to go to place in Thailand for short trips without the hassle.

Good point - your immediate surroundings become so much more important when everything is closed down. I live near a beach and took up running along it during the last lockdown, as I was stuck in Australia. I lost 10kg and am now much fitter.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

While in the netherlands in december the death are higher again. They checked normal death rates with 2021 december and they are higher. So its still killing lots of people not to mention about long covid and other stuff.

But are the additional deaths all due to Covid infections? Could be many factors such as other illnesses like Cancer going undiagnosed or untreated, suicide, people turning to drugs/alcohol, leading unhealthy lifestyles while stuck at home depressed etc.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, calbts2 said:

First - where is the scientific evidence that alcohol consumption is a main factor of outbreaks? 

Complete utter rubbish.

Next - is this tool going to pay all of these businesses he wants to shut down out of his vast fortune?

Feel so sad that the Thai people have to put up with this inept, ineffective, and economy destroying leadership.

Since 2014 it has been a slow slide downward and I don't even think we have hit rock bottom yet economically.

hey i get it you dont like the current govt  but i would think it is commin sense that bars mean people are 1. closer together 2. in bigger groups 3. serving alcohol means people stay longer  "on average" compared to restaurants.   they trying anything to cut the potential transmition and Bars are the easiest and most common sense target.   look at soi cowboy  huge outbreak forcing closure of many bars   meanwhile pub staff lie in hospitals now because many people dont think bars and pubs increase covid risks and want to drink a pint or 12.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

But are the additional deaths all due to Covid infections? Could be many factors such as other illnesses like Cancer going undiagnosed or untreated, suicide, people turning to drugs/alcohol, leading unhealthy lifestyles while stuck at home depressed etc.

In your desperation to distract from the issues you create bogey men in the cupboard. 

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Last year they attributed most things to covid and yes some die untreated diseases because covid takes up all the ICU's so not many room for those kinds of operations. IMHO those are covid deaths too. (UK is also postponing operations due to covid posted an article about that before)

Anyway, the vast majority is covid (already been proven and its more then the covid states) that is what the organizations found ofter checking better. So its still here killing and its still something to worry about.

Basically, the higher infection rate causes less deaths percentage wise but because of how fast it spreads it still kills more.

I wish it was different, id rather say its all ok all the measures are for nothing. Our governments lock us down because they like power and its all a big conspiracy. But unfortunately, that is not the case. (not that i ever believed it as its already political suicide to put in stringent measures in place, they actually hesitate a lot because of worry about voters)

We got some pretty radical idiots in my country death threats to ministers. Burning dolls of ministers. So they are slow to put in measures instead of reveling in their power like some people think.

I always wonder why people think governments would destroy their economy and voter base on purpose. I mean opposition parties are gaining votes for opposing things in my country. So that kind of logic is strange yet i hear it a lot. Maybe other countries don't have a functioning democracy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then good luck for you enjoy. I mean i know how Thailand is. There are rules and places that break them

Does not make any difference to me, I rarely frequent bars nowadays, done the whole bar scene, sick of drinking Thai beer, now if Guiness was available that would be different ????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Farangdk said:

Restriction on alcohol consumption because it was a main factor of outbreaks.

They are saying that Omincron only lurk in the throat n Upper respiratory tract.
Does this mean that gargling with salt water n drinking strong alcohol will kill it !!,   Won't be surprised that it does ...
This can be easily tested by putting the virus on a petri-dish n pouring salt water or strong alcohol over it 
But of cos this needs to be done by some renowned research scientist or doctor to make it accepted as  "common sense"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robblok said:

There is a reason why in the west they closed bars and clubs first too. Its not just Thailand. 

Quite.

Unlike most of the UK, England decided there was no need to reintroduce precautions and have seen infections hit 200K/day. The situation is deteriorating and the effect from schools has yet to be seen.

Some seem to think that having 10% of the population on hospital waiting lists and people dying from delayed treatment is an acceptable way of living with covid.

Anything that can done to prevent a similar situation here in Thailand should be welcomed, the Thai population is the priority not tourists and bar flies.

The announcement comes as the PA news agency understands that as of Thursday, 17 hospital trusts in England had declared critical incidents - an alert to signal that there are fears priority services cannot be safely delivered.

Government figures showed there were 17,988 people in hospital in the UK with Covid-19 as of January 5, up 50% week-on-week and the highest total since February 18.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/army-hospitals-covid-nhs-staff-omicron-b1988403.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Not at all.

I'm just highlighting the fact that lockdowns have negative effects as well as (arguably) some positive effects. You ... need to see both sides of the coin.

I can manage without the absolute need of a beer bar in my life. Wouldn't mind getting back to the old days of a cute lady on my lap and a cold one in the other hand.... but certainly see the danger of it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, relax33 said:

Does this mean that gargling with salt water n drinking strong alcohol will kill it !!,   Won't be surprised that it does

If you gargle down into the bronchus it might kill you first.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Everyone wants to go back to the good old days, even boring guys like me who don't like the taste of alcohol. 

Two years of retired old age wasted..... BUT... could have been worse, a fact so many seem not to consider. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, meechai said:

It will end everywhere as Covid is basically now gone endemic but........It will end much slower in Thailand where they still think they can hide better than Omicron

( basically a mild cold for most)... can seek. The rest of the world is well underway to full herd immunity with a million plus cases per day in many countries

Omicron is doing what the vaccine could not & much more efficiently

Yet Thailand thinks it is better to hide? They can Stave it off? Stop it? Perhaps curing the common cold is next on their list?

So yeah you go Thailand...but meanwhile for the rest of the world tourism is booming

Yeah so we agree, as I was talking about Thailand covidiocy overreactions, not Covid. I haven't given a ???? about Covid since day 1. I'm on 3 weeks travel now. Week in Bangkok, week in Udon and week in Chiang Mai. I traveled extensively first 2/3 of last year too. Then they clamped down too hard even for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Two years of retired old age wasted..... BUT... could have been worse, a fact so many seem not to consider. 

I would not call it wasted, can't you find anything else to do that peeks your interest ?

I mean there must be more to life then beer and woman ?

Not judging at all just seems awfully few hobbies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

I would not call it wasted, can't you find anything else to do that peeks your interest ?

A lot of socializing options have been restricted.... a few trips overseas I very likely would have made. Even a few domestic trips.... guests at the house. Covid impact has certainly gone far beyond just beer and tarts. Simply eating out has been very much restricted. 

Edited by jacko45k

15 hours ago, calbts2 said:

First - where is the scientific evidence that alcohol consumption is a main factor of outbreaks? 

Complete utter rubbish.

Next - is this tool going to pay all of these businesses he wants to shut down out of his vast fortune?

Feel so sad that the Thai people have to put up with this inept, ineffective, and economy destroying leadership.

Since 2014 it has been a slow slide downward and I don't even think we have hit rock bottom yet economically.

Alcohol consumption and pubs are closely intertwined and perfect places to break rules on social distancing. Scientifically proven.

https://www.voanews.com/a/covid-19-pandemic_closing-bars-stop-coronavirus-spread-backed-science/6192115.html

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A lot of socializing options have been restricted.... a few trips overseas I very likely would have made. Even a few domestic trips.... guests at the house. Covid impact has certainly gone far beyond just beer and tarts. Simply eating out has been very much restricted. 

Actually, you're right, normally i would have seen my parents twice. Eating out would have been something i would have done more too. Thankfully in BKK home deliveries are excellent. (Though now I'm not using them as im getting back in shape)

I always liked to walk and shop a bit at times, havent done that in a while either. Yes things have indeed been restricted a lot.

I cope because i can workout (home gym) and watch tv or play games with the computer. Got a gf so she takes up some time too. But yes your right i miss the other stuff too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

Sitting on a bus or the skytrain is ok though.

With mask, yes!!! Did the people in the bars/restaurant wear masks? NO!!!

Results: 

1. Active case finding at restaurants that sell alcohol in Pattaya and Banglamung, 23 cases
  2. Active case finding at restaurants that sell alcohol in Bang Saen and Wonnapa Beach in Mueang Chonburi, 20 cases
  3. Active case finding in students at Burapha University in Mueang Chonburi (staffers and customers at restaurants that sell alcohol), 45 cases

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm not really into bars. I find the inane conversations with uneducated farm girls nauseating. The nonsense spouted by the majority of punters is almost as bad. However, I do enjoy a nice meal in the pub with the gf and a few cold pints watching the sport.

You see that's the beauty of free will. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to bars. If it's too risky for them, or like me you find the people in them intensely irritating then you don't have to go. There's no reason to lock things down every time a new variant appears, especially when it's as mild as Omicron. There's also no reason to dictate the level of risk for anyone other than yourself, especially when it means intense hardship for other people such as owners and employees. 

I'm triple jabbed (Pfizer booster 2 days ago) and I consider the level of risk of going to a quiet pub and drinking a few beers acceptable. That should be my decision. 

That is the problem with infections its not you that you risk plus if too many are like you then the hospitals can't cope. Just look at the UK and my country. Look at how operations are postphoned and so on. Hospital workers overworked. 

Things just don't work the way you want. Omicron might be milder but even basic math proves you wrong that its less of a problem. They say its far more over 40x more infective. But its not 40x less lethal dangerous then delta. So we will get flooded hospitals if we don't watch out. Too many infections means a too high amount of people eventually ending up in hospitals.

So yes your reasoning sounds reasonable if i look at you as an individual but when you look at the big picture its not as reasonable as you say. 

I love to see my parents have them travel freely, love do all the things that were normal before. But its just not possible I think its time to accept that things are not back to normal no matter how much it sucked.

Now if this omicron was not that many times more infectious and hospitals were not at risk then id totally agree with your views.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite.

Unlike most of the UK, England decided there was no need to reintroduce precautions and have seen infections hit 200K/day. The situation is deteriorating and the effect from schools has yet to be seen.

Some seem to think that having 10% of the population on hospital waiting lists and people dying from delayed treatment is an acceptable way of living with covid.

Anything that can done to prevent a similar situation here in Thailand should be welcomed, the Thai population is the priority not tourists and bar flies.

The announcement comes as the PA news agency understands that as of Thursday, 17 hospital trusts in England had declared critical incidents - an alert to signal that there are fears priority services cannot be safely delivered.

Government figures showed there were 17,988 people in hospital in the UK with Covid-19 as of January 5, up 50% week-on-week and the highest total since February 18.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/army-hospitals-covid-nhs-staff-omicron-b1988403.html

Yes, because so many staff have to isolate, but the uk is actually probably doing things correctly (even if too many people still refuse to wear masks).

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59862568

This article sums it up well and why restrictions may well be pointless now, or even so a few weeks ago. Get jabbed up and keep some semblance of normality because it will run rampant no matter what. So many little authoritarians always acting piously when it comes to others daring to enjoy life a bit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have a few hobbies, although sipping a few & women top the list for enjoyment level, usually.

I excel at being a LPOS, and doing absolutely nothing.  Works while stationary, or rolling around on 2 or 4 wheels.

Unless you have interest in same hobby, talking about it would bore you and most, so exchange thoughts about those hobbies elsewhere.  No great desire to talk about women, when single, as I'd rather play in the game, than armchair conversation.

Looking at a few snaps might be interesting, until it's not.  Same with vid:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56481061@N02/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gChDEVJz40

You'd be surprised what people are into, they just don't feel the need to share.  Others, you're probably glad they don't share ...  ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1