Just been bitten by a dog...

RickG16

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

I don't know the owner personally but I'm pretty sure I know who he is. He was coming out of his house on motorbike when I was coming past on mine.... The dog instinctively charged me and bit. The owner saw / heard it but carried on going....

To be honest I'm not sure I have much chance of getting him to pay for anything? I'd probably have to go through the police.

Could do,but police prob will do nothing either.  Not much money involved,could def say there is no rabies tho.

Ive been bitten by rabid mutts in India,they went onto die soon after,full of biting fizz for a day then shivering wrecks,roadside pharmacies all over giving jabs

48 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Thanks. Hopefully the hospital will know what I am talking about. Is rabies called rabies in Thailand? lol 

Rabies in thai is โรคหมาบ้า or rohk maa baa. Literally mad dog disease.

18 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Do directly to a hospital.

I had your experience 8 weeks ago in Australia, “a good scratch” I thought as I gave it a good dose of antibacterial.

4 days later, it started to smell in spite of my regular swabbing and redressing.

Short story is 3 bags of iv antibiotics, 1 x tetanus, 1 x rabies (we don’t have rabies in Australia, but the dog wasn’t known to me) general anesthetic surgery to clean out the necrotising tissue 1.5 days in hospital, a week off work and medical appointments to get the open wound inspected and redressed 3 times a week for 5 weeks.

Not so long ago, I’d have lost my leg and or my life.

Go to the emergency ward at the nearest hospital.

27D5611A-BB9B-4C3B-8B2A-AD81759BA570.jpeg

Ouch ! I know that injury and the ramifications ! Not from Thailand but an occupational injury dog bit in my country of  origin. If a dog sinks it's teeth into soft tissue  the puncture  maks left on the skin  do not look so serious. But inside  if the dog  or the  victim react in a way that causes the tips of the teeth  to  move about  it rips the S33it out of the  muscle tissue etc inside! That  means a significant amount of  dead meat  is under your skin . And dead meat rots ! So rabies or not there is the danger of many outcomes . A clean rip in the skin that bleeds profusely is  probably  the safer injury than a latched on bite that initially hurts a lot but turns  nasty  soon after ! 

• Like 2

The normal procedure would be as follows:

a) find the dog that bit you,

b) kill it,

c) cut off the head,

d) bring the the head to the nearest vet lab to assess to rabies status,

e) if positive get to the nearest hospital for treatment.

But T.I.T

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I was vaccinated with a course of 5 shots years ago after a bite. This apparently gives me lifetime immunity but I'm sceptical about that.

I doubt you have lifetime immunity, I would suggest that you would need a booster within 10 to 20 years. Although you will always need two "booster" shots after any future rabies exposure.

• Like 2

This is my understanding after researching the topic (I just couldn't accept what the doctor told me) i.e. booster every 10 years and post-exposure shots if bitten. I think he probably meant there will always be some protection, albeit greatly reduced.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Personally I find it pretty alarming that you'd even feel the need to ask this question. 

More alarming would be if I didn't ask the question and stayed at home!

However, I appreciate your alarm. 

30 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

More alarming would be if I didn't ask the question and stayed at home!

However, I appreciate your alarm. 

I remember a family staying at our hotel many years ago. The mother was 'scratched' by an aggressive Macaque. When they came back to the hotel they asked for the manager, so I went down and she seemed very worried about it. I explained that I'm not a doctor, but it's only a scratch, the chances of being infected are practically nil, just to soothe her, but advised she go directly to hospital anyway.

One of the problems I have up here is bats. They're absolutely everywhere, in most of our roof spaces. I'm actually overdue for a booster, so thanks for the reminder OP.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

This is my understanding after researching the topic (I just couldn't accept what the doctor told me) i.e. booster every 10 years and post-exposure shots if bitten. I think he probably meant there will always be some protection, albeit greatly reduced.

No protection  as such. It just gives  you time to get to a hospital

26 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Haemoglobin shot cost over 3000 baht. Total cost over 5000

Sound about right?

Dunno. We paid around 1500 after boy got bit by a monkey, though that was many years ago. Few years later he got bit by a mutt and had boosters.

But just as well get it done. You may have been mocked for even asking rather than go straight to hospital, but fair play for doing that. Many mightn’t have. Thaivisa might have saved your bacon. ????????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Tomorrow.

If you are unvaccinated here is the schedule,

Dose: Previously unvaccinated persons should receive 5 intramuscular doses (1 mL each) of Imovax Rabies vaccine, one dose immediately after exposure (Day 0) and one dose 3, 7, 14, and 28 days later.

Been there done that in Thailand about 4 years ago

Had this after a bite about 6 months ago.

From memory - the first time I got three injections - one injection in each arm and one by the wound. Could've been a tetanus booster?

Then schedule as above.

RAZZ

3 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Tomorrow.

If you are unvaccinated here is the schedule,

Dose: Previously unvaccinated persons should receive 5 intramuscular doses (1 mL each) of Imovax Rabies vaccine, one dose immediately after exposure (Day 0) and one dose 3, 7, 14, and 28 days later.

Been there done that in Thailand about 4 years ago

Had this after a bite about 6 months ago.

From memory - the first time I got three injections - one injection in each arm and one by the wound. Could've been a tetanus booster?

Then schedule as above.

RAZZ

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Haemoglobin shot cost over 3000 baht. Total cost over 5000

Sound about right?

Yeah, that's about right. My insurance paid 90% of the cost, but it was around 1500 baht all in PER SHOT in Bangkok Hospital in Chiang Mai. And I didn't need haemoglobin. 

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Do I need to see a doctor?

You'll need to find out if that dog has rabies or the very least find out if it has had rabies vaccines (probably not).

If you can't you'll needs to start the rabies vaccination course.

Rabies is common in Thailand and deadly.

Screenshot_20220106-222818.jpg

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I don't know the owner personally but I'm pretty sure I know who he is. He was coming out of his house on motorbike when I was coming past on mine.... The dog instinctively charged me and bit. The owner saw / heard it but carried on going....

To be honest I'm not sure I have much chance of getting him to pay for anything? I'd probably have to go through the police.

I got bitten by a dog in my village about 6 months ago. The owner was downing a Chang about 3m away. He saw everything and then denied it happened. He reckoned I'd fallen over. I went to the hospital and got a course of rabies shots and a tetanus jab.

He then went round the village telling everyone that I'm a liar and making everything up just to get some money out of him.

My wife and I took the bill and photos of the wound to the police. He completely ignored any dialogue with the police so they have now summoned him to court.

Wether he turns up or not is anyone's guess.

2 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

I got bitten by a dog in my village about 6 months ago. The owner was downing a Chang about 3m away. He saw everything and then denied it happened. He reckoned I'd fallen over. I went to the hospital and got a course of rabies shots and a tetanus jab.

He then went round the village telling everyone that I'm a liar and making everything up just to get some money out of him.

My wife and I took the bill and photos of the wound to the police. He completely ignored any dialogue with the police so they have now summoned him to court.

Wether he turns up or not is anyone's guess.

You can tell a lot about someone from their choice of beer......