Just been bitten by a dog...

RickG16

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I don't know the owner personally but I'm pretty sure I know who he is. He was coming out of his house on motorbike when I was coming past on mine.... The dog instinctively charged me and bit. The owner saw / heard it but carried on going....

To be honest I'm not sure I have much chance of getting him to pay for anything? I'd probably have to go through the police.

Might be worth asking him if the dog has been vaccinated against rabies

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Absolutely you need to see a doctor, and receive both rabies and tetanus shots. And depending on the appearance and depth of the wound, possibly antibiotics.

Go to the emergency department of the nearest hospital (government hospital is fine for this and will cost less than private).

Just tell them dog bite, they know what to do from there. Every emergency room in the country sees this on a pretty frequent basis.

Hi Sheryl, I've just been.

The doctor actually said the antibiotics was "up to you". So I declined and she said if the skin around the wound looks red in 3 days to come back......

Had 2 immunoglobulin shots, 1 rabies shot, 1 tenatus shot and have more rabies and tenatus shots scheduled.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Hammer2021

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  •  
  • Advanced Members
  • 3398 posts
10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

How soon do I need it?

ASAP..Hours...24 is too late if and its a big if..the dog  has rabies..do you  know the dog? Is it rabied?

21 years after a rabid bite the rabies eventually appeared in human victim  (not looking for source), need to get one before effects become apparent,thirst/light  or too late

antibiotics ?    3 visits for 40 minute and decreasing intravenous drips,if infection using injection does not suffice,then leg off

Have seen a few human victims of rabies in final death throes,woman shivering,unable to do anything,pulled her under a tree for shade,another a guy,looked at me and smiled,was happy his death not far off

Edited by fredscats
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Hi Sheryl, I've just been.

The doctor actually said the antibiotics was "up to you". So I declined and she said if the skin around the wound looks red in 3 days to come back......

Had 2 immunoglobulin shots, 1 rabies shot, 1 tenatus shot and have more rabies and tenatus shots scheduled.

I’d be taking the antibiotics.

Up to you…

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Up to you…

I left it a bit late years ago,did not think much of the wound,small enough,probably a day or so later leg had reddish shade,rock solid too with infection,I was lucky ,leg saved.  Now I always carry those small plastic iodine containers,squirt it into wound immediately

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Do directly to a hospital.

I had your experience 8 weeks ago in Australia, “a good scratch” I thought as I gave it a good dose of antibacterial.

4 days later, it started to smell in spite of my regular swabbing and redressing.

Short story is 3 bags of iv antibiotics, 1 x tetanus, 1 x rabies (we don’t have rabies in Australia, but the dog wasn’t known to me) general anesthetic surgery to clean out the necrotising tissue 1.5 days in hospital, a week off work and medical appointments to get the open wound inspected and redressed 3 times a week for 5 weeks.

Not so long ago, I’d have lost my leg and or my life.

Go to the emergency ward at the nearest hospital.

27D5611A-BB9B-4C3B-8B2A-AD81759BA570.jpeg

Hope they gave you a good wash whilst in hospital, your foot looks filthy - lol.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

How did everyone feel after their rabies shots and immunoglobin / tetanus shots? I feel average to say the least!

I didn’t feel any ill effects, I was happy to have two legs !

I hope you feel better and recover soon ????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

High temperature, muscle aches and headache. Already done Covid test, negative.

Nothing to worry about. if you get phobic when trying to drink water then worry. Covid often has a delayed positive

Edited by scubascuba3

20 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I don't know the owner personally but I'm pretty sure I know who he is. He was coming out of his house on motorbike when I was coming past on mine.... The dog instinctively charged me and bit. The owner saw / heard it but carried on going....

To be honest I'm not sure I have much chance of getting him to pay for anything? I'd probably have to go through the police.

It's not just about him paying for anything; but to confirm that his dog does not have Rabies. If it doesn't then you don't need the Rabies shots nor Immoglobulin.

So best to talk with him in the first instance. Once he knows that you aren't just after money, he will likely be a lot more cooperative.

You might need to take someone as a witness and to translate.

Usually it's at least three shots on the first day. Tetanus and Rabies in the arms and Immoglobulin directly into the wound.

So if you want to avoid all of that; talk to the owner. Then it's just Tetanus(three shots over six months) and wound cleaning.

12 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Up to you…

I probably would too but that's because a few years back I held off on doing that right away for a cat bite and boy did I ever come to regret that. Massive cellulitis coupled with a severe inflammatory reaction that persisted even after the infection cleared.

Granted, cat bites are more dangerous than dog bites in this regard, because they tend to be deep puncture wounds without much opening on the surface, perfect for letting nasty bugs percolate in tissue. If the dog bite was fairly superficial and very open at the surface, less risk but still about 16% of dog bites do get infected. The doctor apparently did not think it was essential, and unlike nay of us, she actually saw the wound.

OP at the slightest sign of redness go back to the doctor and get the abx. OR - if you are afraid of being caught up in a "COVID dragnet" and have no contraindications - - the usual antibiotic of choice for this is augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulate) 875/125 mg every 12 hours which can be gotten at any pharmacy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

cat bites are more dangerous than dog bites in this regard, because they tend to be deep puncture wounds

Happened to me once around 20 years ago. My cat got into a fight with a neighbour's cat and I stupidly tried to separate them. My own cat sunk it's teeth into my thumb, it was panicked and in defense mode, the teeth went right through my thumbnail down to the bone. The pain was incredible. Immediately went to ER, straight onto antibiotics but it still swelled up to the size of a balloon.

1 hour ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Happened to me once around 20 years ago. My cat got into a fight with a neighbour's cat and I stupidly tried to separate them. My own cat sunk it's teeth into my thumb, it was panicked and in defense mode, the teeth went right through my thumbnail down to the bone. The pain was incredible. Immediately went to ER, straight onto antibiotics but it still swelled up to the size of a balloon.

Yep, pretty much my story except I stupidly delayed for 24 hours which is all it took to develop a whopping cellulitis. Whole arm remained very swollen for about 3 weeks.

Cat bites are serious business, as I own several cats who hate each other & often fight, I now always keep a starter supply of augmentin on hand. And, of course, try to refrain from touching them when they are in fight mode. Bucket -- or even a tossed glass -- of water works well.

Meh, give a dog a plastic toy and it loves you instantly, even to it's own detriment. Cats however take work. . .
Go on holiday and leave your dog, it goes crazy with love and affection when you come back. A cat just sneers at you and gives you the "Oh, you're back then. Have you see the litter tray? You'd better get cleaning". . . I love cats for this reason.

In all seriousness though, I  have a thing about Felidae in general. While I don't like to see big cats in captivity beyond the purposes of species preservation, I always head straight for the big cats whenever at the zoo. Magnificent animals.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:37 PM, Sheryl said:

Actually they are wonderful animals and I love them dearly.

They love me, too. Just not each other!

I have a "two state solution" in effect, only one cat lives in the house with me, another two live in  nice, comfy well maintained  garden shed. However they are not content with that and with my feeding and petting them out of doors...they are determined to get inside the big house and oust the house cat from his position of privilege. He in turn is determined to stop them.

Hi Sheryl, I am due for my 2nd rabies jab tomorrow but am currently Covid positive. Could the rabies vaccine side effects be more pronounced as I have Covid?