Just been bitten by a dog...

RickG16

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

you need 2.

one today and one in 3 days.

seeing a doctor is a good idea in any case.

Thanks. Hopefully the hospital will know what I am talking about. Is rabies called rabies in Thailand? lol 

1 minute ago, ozfarang said:

Tomorrow.

If you are unvaccinated here is the schedule,

Dose: Previously unvaccinated persons should receive 5 intramuscular doses (1 mL each) of Imovax Rabies vaccine, one dose immediately after exposure (Day 0) and one dose 3, 7, 14, and 28 days later.

Yes, that's the treatment my doctor administered when I was bitten by a soi dog.

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

yes, correct, if you are not already vaccinated, you need 5 shots.

in any case, the sooner you get the first shot, the better.

There's also a 4-shot regimen to be completed in a fortnight but maybe Thai rabies is different?

I would suggest that you have a Category 3 Bite.

Prolonged cleansing of the wound or contact site for 15 minutes to eliminate the virus, as soon as possible after exposure, is of critical importance.

You should attend hospital ASAP.

You will need either Human Rabies Immunoglobulin (preferable) or Equine Rabies Immunoglobulin and also a regime of Rabies vaccine.

Rabies - Clinical guidelines (msf.org)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do directly to a hospital.

I had your experience 8 weeks ago in Australia, “a good scratch” I thought as I gave it a good dose of antibacterial.

4 days later, it started to smell in spite of my regular swabbing and redressing.

Short story is 3 bags of iv antibiotics, 1 x tetanus, 1 x rabies (we don’t have rabies in Australia, but the dog wasn’t known to me) general anesthetic surgery to clean out the necrotising tissue 1.5 days in hospital, a week off work and medical appointments to get the open wound inspected and redressed 3 times a week for 5 weeks.

Not so long ago, I’d have lost my leg and or my life.

Go to the emergency ward at the nearest hospital.

27D5611A-BB9B-4C3B-8B2A-AD81759BA570.jpeg

Between the various levels of humor and genuine advice you definitely need to go and get precautionary  shots for rabies and accompanying tetanus ones .

While rabies is not uncommon in Thailand nor are  bad tempered dogs which can and also often do bite people but that does not mean they are rabid.

I am not at all sure the regimen of shots  being cited is  standard  because i and my wife both presented to our local Govt. hospital a few years  back after being nipped by rescued a puppy that started to display all the hallmarks of rabies. Total of  3 visits. All up cost less than 1000 Baht.

1 minute ago, fredscats said:

If the dog is known to you,and alive after 10days or so little chance of rabies,get wound cleaned etc    took 10stiches or so to seal wound,Thai owner paid

I don't know the owner personally but I'm pretty sure I know who he is. He was coming out of his house on motorbike when I was coming past on mine.... The dog instinctively charged me and bit. The owner saw / heard it but carried on going....

To be honest I'm not sure I have much chance of getting him to pay for anything? I'd probably have to go through the police.