Lost UK passport and visa about to expire

My 81 year old friend is in trouble again. He does have very poor memory, possibly Alzheimer's although he doesn't like to admit to that.

He arrived around 15th October on 30 day visa exempt in Phuket sandbox for 2 weeks, he booked it before they relaxed the rules to 1 week.

He travelled to Hua Hin and at some stage went to immigration and got another 60 days I believe.

A couple of weeks ago he realised he had lost his passport, which was new, he only obtained it last year.

He filed a police report and on a recommendation went to an agent, paid 7,000 Baht plus the cost of passport renewal. Of course new passport not arrived yet so a Thai friend took him to immigration to explain his situation. He wants to remain here indefinitely so is happy to pay an agent for a years stay based on retirement.

All he got from immigration was each days overstay will cost 500 Baht to a maximum of 20,000 Baht and without his passport he cannot obtain/renew any type of visa. No mention of deportation or a ban from returning.

Anyone else been in this situation with a lost passport and visa due to expire within 5-10 days, not sure of exact day as when he visited me today he didn't have his passport/visa copies.

Can immigration/ agent renew his permission to stay until his new passport arrives?

Any constructive advice appreciated.

20 minutes ago, stigar said:

I lost my passport some years ago.I went to the immigration in kap choeng(surin)and ask what to do.

They couldnt help me but told me to go to my embassy in bangkok.So i did.The embassy gave me a letter to the immigration in bangkok.I had to shove a valid id to the embassy first.When i arrived immigration they was wery helpful.They contacted the airport immigration by phone for verifying my arrivaldate and after 1 hour problem solved.They gave me a new arrivalcard and stamp the letter i get from my embassy.

How did that help you obtain an extension. The OP friend has current permit expiring.

His other issue is even if obtains travel doc/pp pretty sure that cannot obtain extension in that. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How did that help you obtain an extension. The OP friend has current permit expiring.

His other issue is even if obtains travel doc/pp pretty sure that cannot obtain extension in that. 

I understand that.I just wanted to tell what he have to do anyway for a start.After i get my new passport i allways make copies of passport and stamps.

He needs to notify the British Embassy and obtain an emergency travel document to enable him to go back home.

I think there is a 13 week waiting period for passports so he risking being blacklisted by Thai Immigration if he tries to wait for a new one.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stigar said:

I lost my passport some years ago.I went to the immigration in kap choeng(surin)and ask what to do.

They couldnt help me but told me to go to my embassy in bangkok.So i did.The embassy gave me a letter to the immigration in bangkok.I had to shove a valid id to the embassy first.When i arrived immigration they was wery helpful.They contacted the airport immigration by phone for verifying my arrivaldate and after 1 hour problem solved.They gave me a new arrivalcard and stamp the letter i get from my embassy.

Sadly irrelevant

What do I do if I lost my UK passport abroad?

What to Do if You Lose Your Passport Abroad
  1. Step 1: Report it. To cancel a missing or stolen passport you must complete a LS01 form, which you can find online. ...
  2. Step 2: Decide the best option for you. ...
  3. Step 3: Find the nearest British Embassy. ...
  4. Step 4: Apply & pay. ...
  5. Step 5: Attend an appointment. ...
  6. Step 6: You're done!

https://young.scot/get-informed/national/what-to-do-if-you-lose-your-passport-abroad

If he is arrested on overstay he can be banned for 5 years.

If he surrenders on overstay of more than 90 days he can be banned for 1 year.

Get an emergency travel document

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

He needs to notify the British Embassy and obtain an emergency travel document to enable him to go back home.

I think there is a 13 week waiting period for passports so he risking being blacklisted by Thai Immigration if he tries to wait for a new one.

He doesn't want to go home, he wants to stay here indefinitely.

21 minutes ago, Chris.B said:
What do I do if I lost my UK passport abroad?

What to Do if You Lose Your Passport Abroad
  1. Step 1: Report it. To cancel a missing or stolen passport you must complete a LS01 form, which you can find online. ...
  2. Step 2: Decide the best option for you. ...
  3. Step 3: Find the nearest British Embassy. ...
  4. Step 4: Apply & pay. ...
  5. Step 5: Attend an appointment. ...
  6. Step 6: You're done!

https://young.scot/get-informed/national/what-to-do-if-you-lose-your-passport-abroad

If he is arrested on overstay he can be banned for 5 years.

If he surrenders on overstay of more than 90 days he can be banned for 1 year.

Get an emergency travel document

He's done most of what you say already but his replacement passport hasn't arrived yet and his visa will expire shortly.

15 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Then he risks overstay and on those grounds they might refuse any visa.

Overstayers are also at risk of being detained at an Immigration Detention Centre.

Edited by Chris.B

11 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

He's done most of what you say already but his replacement passport hasn't arrived yet and his visa will expire shortly.

He hasn't reported the loss to the British Embassy or applied for an emergency travel document.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:
2 hours ago, stigar said:

Maybe, I misinterpreted stiger's post, but it seemed potentially very informative. It seems to suggest that, with the correct documentation from the embassy, immigration at that time would provide a (temporary) extension stamp on something other than a new passport.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Just did a new passport her in LOS....got my 30 day ext and then went right to post office and had to mail it from CNX to BKK US Embassy....took about 2 -3 weeks...printed out checklist from website to pay for PP and return fees.....the post office will give you a tracking # and the Embassy emailed me from BKk when it was ready to return to me....went to CNX Immig to transfer stamp from old to new PP

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

They take about 8 weeks but 11 weeks is predicted

34 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Just did a new passport her in LOS....got my 30 day ext and then went right to post office and had to mail it from CNX to BKK US Embassy....took about 2 -3 weeks...printed out checklist from website to pay for PP and return fees.....the post office will give you a tracking # and the Embassy emailed me from BKk when it was ready to return to me....went to CNX Immig to transfer stamp from old to new PP

The Op's friend is from the UK, waiting times will not be the same as the USA.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about-our-services

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

He is waiting on a replacement  passport! What don't you understand

He did the wrong thing.

The correct thing to do is 

1) report the loss of passport to the police; he did that

2) go to the British embassy with the police report: he did not do that.

3) you will receive an emergency travel document during your visit: he did not do that.

Waiting in Thailand for a replacement is not an officially sanctioned procedure (in fact it is probably actually illegal) so a continuous supply of brown envelopes (via an agent) will help but they are not guaranteed to solve the problem that he has created for himself. His situation is unusual, possibly unique, so he needs an agent with extremely good connections. How many envelopes and how many pretty pieces of paper will be needed is unknowable.

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As the OP has explained, he doesn't need an ETD as he isn't travelling back to the UK. He will just need to wait for his new passport and accept the overstay ramifications.

I know what the OP posted that doesn’t change the fact that What he decided to do is either absolutely illegal or at the least borderline. So whether or not he wanted an ETD it was arguably the only correct course of action. So he decided to act against British embassy guidance. 

waiting and going to immigration will very probably guarantee a 1 year ban. So as I said a very well connected agent and money may avoid that.

4 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Your friend can want all he wants but at the end of the day he needs to follow the rules.

He needs a passport for his ongoing stay in Thailand and to regularise his legal stay in Thailand with immigration or to leave the country an emergency travel document issued by the Embassy, get a new passport and then return to Thailand.

Be careful that he does not overstay beyond 3 months when a whole raft of other overstay rules come into force.

• Like 1

Guys, thanks for the replies, Today he will contact the agent and see what date she took the passport to BKK and a rough idea of when it will be returned.

Not sure he has done anything illegal as suggested by some, if his visa still had a few months to run there wouldn't be an issue as his replacement would be sent before his visa expired.

If it looks like its going to be a long wait then maybe he will have to leave and return later but that's another big raft of problems with Covid restrictions.

I was hoping someone had done similar and an agent or immigration could sway things but it seems not. 

Thanks again.

12 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

My last passport arrived 2 days before the end of my 'permission to stay' stamp expired.

I had to contact a passport office in Ireland and they gave me a tracking number.