Best irrigation method for a 40x40m plot

CLW

New project coming up with actually 5 or more plot of growing vegetables, field crops and grasses in rotation.

Each plot is 40x40m and they are adjacent.

Water and pumps are no problem.

I was thinking about these methods:

1. Big gun sprinkler
  2. micro sprinkler
  3. drip tape
  4. spray tape

My tendency is to #1 Big gun sprinkler. Maybe more costly for initial investment but in my opinion a few advantages:

You can move them from plot to plot after each irrigation cycle

Easy and short setup time

No need to remove anything when the land needs to be worked on

If sprinkler from steel probably longer lifetime than plastic pipes/microsprinkler

No clogging or similar issues as with tapes

Looking forward to comments from the experienced farm members here. Thank you

• Like 2

You have a 40x40 block ,which would be 1 rie,the problem is a sprinkler makes a circle ,it will reach the edges of the land but not the corners ,which can add up to a fair area ,you will need some overlap ,25-50 % depending on the set-up.

So for your 40x40 you might need a sprinkler with a 50-60 meter span ,that will require a fair size pump and engine to power it,for that you will need a big gun sprinkler 

Fj's multi-stage pump could well do it .that looks like a 2 inch ?set up what would the span be with that system .

Or you could run two lines in your 40x40 block with a 20 meter span ,that will give  you the overlap ,for that an engine /pump set up would work ,even better if it is diesel .lower running costs . 

• Like 1

https://irrigationdirect.com.au/product/duplex-full-part-circle-sprinklers/

This is the sprinkler i have,comes with a range of nozzles and table of requirements

It is critical to match up the flow and pressure otherwise you won't get an even distribution of water over the area.

You can adjust it from full circle coverage so can also set up on edge of field for 180 or in corners for 90 degree coverage.

I bought it at global house about 15 years a go.

This pump does achieve the 5 bar pressure required with the 3 v-belts driving it from the 14 horsepower diesel engine.

The other consideration is the size of pipe from pump to sprinkler,you don't want any friction loss so bigger the better.

• Like 2

AS you said with the big gun sprinkler you just pick it up and move on ,in this area farmers are busy planting cassava and putting down drip tape ,mostly new tape ,some use tape from past years ,but it can get blocked ,you would have to put in an in line filter for drip tape,and it will have to be taken up when you harvest the crop ,a lot of hassle .

The micro sprinklers ,again a lot of hassle setting then up we use them in our garden ,sucking water  from a pond ,the few we have  are often  blocked with plant debir's from the pond ,again you would need an in line filter,or use water from a boar hole 

You said water  not a problem ,how about a dry year ,drip tape and the micro sprinklers gain they as they would use a lot less water than a big gun. 

• Like 1

I have a mixture of drip and spray irrigation all on timers.

Timers are key.  

Our timers have rain options to delay watering from 1-30 days.  Convenient during the rainy season.

What would be ideal is a small elevated hydroponics operation.  I've seen a few and they produce copious amounts of salad vegetables.

Screenshot_20220113-212914.jpg

15 hours ago, kickstart said:

AS you said with the big gun sprinkler you just pick it up and move on ,in this area farmers are busy planting cassava and putting down drip tape ,mostly new tape ,some use tape from past years ,but it can get blocked ,you would have to put in an in line filter for drip tape,and it will have to be taken up when you harvest the crop ,a lot of hassle .

The micro sprinklers ,again a lot of hassle setting then up we use them in our garden ,sucking water  from a pond ,the few we have  are often  blocked with plant debir's from the pond ,again you would need an in line filter,or use water from a boar hole 

You said water  not a problem ,how about a dry year ,drip tape and the micro sprinklers gain they as they would use a lot less water than a big gun. 

Thanks KS for your valuable insights. Re water issue: We have a big pond fed by underground water also the management approved drilling a well already in case it runs dry.