Kasikorn closed my account

I just tried to send funds to my Kasikorn account via Wise using the details already set up which I always used in the past. 

The payment was instantly returned and Wise tells me the Kasikorn account is closed. 

There has been no activity on the account for 2 years as I'm in the UK and there is a pandemic so I haven't been able to travel. 

I think I had about 10,000 baht in the account. 

Does anyone know if I will be able to reopen my account by going into Kasikorn when I get to Thailand in a couple of weeks time? 

After one year of no use the account becomes dormant and you cannot use until reactivate again in Thailand.

Fees will be deducted if there are any remaining funds until the funds are depleted and the account probably closed.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaiman said:

Is 2 years the time period that dormant accounts are closed?

I think it's 10 years but I stand to be corrected.

I know people who have had relatively low balances and the annual bank fees have whittled the balance down to zero and the account closed.

Otherwise maybe it's a case of fraud?

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

Nonsense, the rules are there and have been in the news, the account holder should take responsibiliyy for his personal finances. In Europe and elsewhere, similar dormancy rules and account closures exist.

No matter what they do, there is alway a Thai apologist ready to defend them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

21 minutes ago, thaiman said:

What constitutes as inactivity?

20 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Not making deposits and withdrawals in a year.

Activity can be as simple as updating your bank book to get the interest put into it.  I have kept Thai bank accounts active for many years just by doing that.

One year no activity often causes accounts to be put on inactive status so they can not be used in the US also.  Generally easy to reactivate so can be used.

• Like 1

Just now, Dante99 said:

One year no activity often causes accounts to be put on inactive status so they can not be used in the US also.  Generally easy to reactivate so can be used.

Generally, how long will an account remain on "inactive" status before it is closed?  Also, after an account is closed, can the account be reactivated?

23 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Wrong.  I use an agent and so do many others. 

But your bank account remains  active as you still have money coming in and out AND the ghost 800000k deposit  put in every year by the agent. People use agents for  convenience  not poverty. They still put 65Kbht  plus through  their account  every week.

Edited by The Hammer2021

41 minutes ago, bbko said:

Maybe download the K-Bank app and see if you can access it?

No it wont work abroad.

1st time the app requires 3g/4g only (Thai sim)

Wont work on Wifi 1st time.

Edited by DrJoy

5 minutes ago, thaiman said:

Generally, how long will an account remain on "inactive" status before it is closed?  Also, after an account is closed, can the account be reactivated?

I never bothered with all that because I learned that once a year activity was enough to keep the accounts open and active here and in USA.  No need for the rest of that, I am not writing a book.

31 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Wrong.  I use an agent and so do many others. 

But surely one still needs the min lump sum deposit or monthy financial deposit in their name or is some illegality being arranged with an agent to skirt around that requirement?

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1