My Final Thoughts on The Thailand Pass

Unfortunately, for the applicants all the processes that cost money have to be done first.  Fairly easy to do as no involvement with Thai government websites.  The real hassle occurs with the Thai Pass application and the Thailandpsas.com (Covid test payment).  I do not know how US citizens (and possibly other countries) can make payment on that website.  I spent hours screwing around with Thailandpsas.com - try different browsers, try with/without VPN,  try on laptop and on mobile phone, try different credit cards - no success.  Finally called Thailandpsas.com, actually spoke to someone.  Her response is the problem is with the bank that processes the credit - call that bank and complain.  Good luck with.  Clearly the people at Thailandpsas.com know there is a serious problem with their website.

Now the latest zinger on the Thai Pass website is:

"URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT !  Starting 4 January 2022  Please be advised to avoid making hotel reservations through Booking.com as they do not fully comply with Thailand’s entry regulations and may result in delayed consideration"

How many people have already made hotel reservations on Booking.com and find this little turd buried in the Thai Pass website.  Or worse, do not find it and have application delayed because of Booking.com reservation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JomtienEats said:

Yes, this is really the crux of it.

None of the businesses are really invested in you having a successful experience either.

The airline is happy to take your money for not flying you, the insurance is happy to insure you for a trip you never take and the hotel really makes bank, they're happy for you not to stay in a room and pay them for PCR tests that are never taken.

In other words, stay at home or go to another country.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, daveAustin said:

If they really want visitors, the least that pathetic excuse for a gov could do is take the having-to-book-and-pay-for-testing off the table. Make it free you tightwads!

I wonder how much each visitor is worth to the economy. Maybe not even 1 covid test.

I do think its OK to ask visitors to bear the burden of the increased costs of travel in a pandemic, but with Omicron, all this is likely to be moot. I suspect the covid panic will soon be over, but I do wonder how long before entry restrictions will reflect it. 

• Like 1

between 0.1 to 1% are turning positive (with omicron can expect much more) and hospital, hospitel is minimum 10k per night.

Private international and top thai private charge 2x that.

Cost of pcr with super fast 20 minutes results in dubai airport is only $50. So at thai government hospitals real price is below that. Yet when paying for pcr at TP some 2200b goes to hospital.

I would think phuket charges more