Non immigrant ‘O’ visa based on being over 50

Right, just to put things straight here, particularly those implying I don’t have the funds to put in the bank…I sold my house in London last year and got a good price for it, so I bought a small house in France, I’m moving to Thailand but the longest myself and my girlfriend have spent together is 4 months..I’m not prepared to put a large sum of money into a Thai bank account under those circumstances, I invested most of the money from the sale of the house into two funds medium to high risk, in one year those funds have returned over £17,000 in profit, yep I do lose sometimes but not often, if I can get a visa and then an extension of that visa so say 15 months, I will within that time know if I’m doing the right thing or not, at that time I will do things by the book but for now I’m going to use an agent and that’s my choice.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:08 PM, Leatherneck said:

I arrived in Bangkok on 29/12 with T&G on a 30-day visa exemption. Met with my visa agent in Chiang Mai on 04/01 and started the process for a 90-day Non O based on retirement. Already had 800,000 ThB in my Bangkok Bank account for over a year and had to get a letter from the bank. Went to CM Immigration the next day and started the 90-day Non O process to get it finished before my 30-day visa exemption expired and to avoid having to get a 30-day extension. Should get the 90-day Non-0 on 26/01 at Immigration and will apply for the one year Non-O in mid March and then secure it in late April. My agent, who I have known for 10 years, has made it quite easy.

So how much and for what reason are you paying an agent if you are legit with the funds on deposit? 1,900 Baht/Year is all that is needed to DIY. Your agent is filling out a form and doing a few photocopies for you at what cost?

On 1/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, DrJack54 said:

Nup.

You can obtain a Non O VISA in Thailand from an entry from tourist visa or visa exempt.

That visa gives you a 90 day stay. 

Subsequently most will obtain 12 month extension.

BTW it's not a requirement visa.

It's an extension of your permission of stay. 

Exactly. Very straightforward and what I have been doing since 2018. Since putting the 800k in the separate account I forget all about it. Minimal loss of return and low risk too. Call it a small cost of removing the anxiety that those who use income method worry about (1 missed monthly transfer and you're cancelled) or the expense of using a dodgy "agent" to fix things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Since putting the 800k in the separate account I forget all about it.

For sure this is the best way to go.

Some folk still use their everyday banking account as the account to show their funds in bank for retirement. An error/oversight always possible with that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

For sure this is the best way to go.

Some folk still use their everyday banking account as the account to show their funds in bank for retirement. An error/oversight always possible with that.

One of my concerns with parking 800K in a long term account is - What happens to the money when you die? Is it as simple as naming a Thai beneficiary on the account? If so then not a bad way to go. If there's alot of paperwork and an attorney involved then I'd say it's a bad way.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

One of my concerns with parking 800K in a long term account is - What happens to the money when you die? Is it as simple as naming a Thai beneficiary on the account? If so then not a bad way to go. If there's alot of paperwork and an attorney involved then I'd say it's a bad way.

You bring up a VERY important consideration.

One many overlook or just haven't got around to it.

I'm guilty of being in second group.

Anyone with partner should have Thai will. 

Personally not married but into 10th year and all assets here need to go to her. As usual I just put it off.

Some folk think that if partner has your PIN then all good.

That's is not legal or workable.

Anyway topic for another forum.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

to make life easier, when you get in the back straight of life maybe switch to agent method, free up the 800k, even sell a house or condo if you have one

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:32 PM, DrJack54 said:

Nup.

You can obtain a Non O VISA in Thailand from an entry from tourist visa or visa exempt.

That visa gives you a 90 day stay. 

Subsequently most will obtain 12 month extension.

BTW it's not a requirement visa.

It's an extension of your permission of stay. 

Sorry but you cannot, visas are issued outside of Thailand and there after its an EOS based on the visa you had.

Unless they have changed it because of closed borders

9 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Sorry but you cannot, visas are issued outside of Thailand and there after its an EOS based on the visa you had.

Was available prior to covid.

A non O based on retirement, marriage can be obtained from entry to Thailand with tourist visa or visa exempt.

Check it out in the many threads on this topic.

Currently very common with some folk opting not to obtain non O outside of Thailand but rather enter visa exempt or tourist visa as I outlined above and obtain their non O inside Thailand.

Note that this pathway cannot be done with a "special tourist visa" STV.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

The vast majority of visas are obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate outside of Thailand, but one can obtain a Non-O Visa at an immigration office in Thailand having entered the country on a visa-exempt entry or Tourist Visa.  For example, at Phuket Immigration:

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/non-o-visa/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a non-o visa at immigration but you must have at least 15 days remaining on your permit to stay.

See: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/8-1.pdf

The during the las 30 day of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa you can apply for extension of stay based upon retirement. You need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Hello,

The link seems to be no longer valid.

I guess the evidence of income is still accepted, right ?

I thought a visa could be obtained only from outside of Thailand.

I had a year extension based on non-o but I could not come back to Thailand before its expiration in april 2021, so I have to start again the whole process in order to come back, probably in november.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, daejung said:

I thought a visa could be obtained only from outside of Thailand.

You can obtain a non O retirement inside Thailand having entered visa exempt or with tourist visa.

You can also obtain non O at some Thai consulates/embassies.

Yes you will need to start over however one option would be to enter visa exempt and with funds already in bank apply for non O and subsequent 12 month extension. 

As for using income method for the first extension think you will find that you need to use money in bank method. 

I assume your non O is based on retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can obtain a non O retirement inside Thailand having entered visa exempt or with tourist visa.

You can also obtain non O at some Thai consulates/embassies.

Yes you will need to start over however one option would be to enter visa exempt and with funds already in bank apply for non O and subsequent 12 month extension. 

As for using income method for the first extension think you will find that you need to use money in bank method. 

I assume your non O is based on retirement. 

Thanks for your answer

Yes it would be a non-o visa based on retirement (above 50 yo)

When I first got a Non-o Visa in 2018, I got my first (and second) extension using the income method. Do you mean the rule changed ? At that time (2018) I got my Non-O visa in France

Edited by daejung

4 minutes ago, daejung said:

When I first got a Non-o Visa in 2018, I got my first (and second) extension using the income method. Do you mean the rule changed ?

Think you will find that immigration will not accept a few month monthly transfers for your extension from non O retirement. 

You will need money in bank method. 

Does your  embassy provide income letters? 

UK, USA and AU do not..

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you will find that immigration will not accept a few month monthly transfers for your extension from non O retirement. 

You will need money in bank method. 

Does your  embassy provide income letters? 

UK, USA and AU do not..

Yes french embassy provided such income letters, I used that method for my 1st and second extension. I needed not to show monthly transfers. The second extension expired while I was back in France, so I couldn't get a 3rd one.

4 minutes ago, daejung said:

Yes french embassy provided such income letters, I used that method for my 1st and second extension. I needed not to show monthly transfers. The second extension expired while I was back in France, so I couldn't get a 3rd one.

OK, that's good news.

Probably good idea to start your transfers in anticipation of applying for 12 month extension based on income method.

Also obtain your "income letter" from French embassy to support income method. 

Easy Peasy. 

Edited by DrJack54

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OK, that's good news.

Probably good idea to start your transfers in anticipation of applying for 12 month extension based on income method.

Easy Peasy. 

If he can get an income letter from the French Embassy then that's all he needs.  No actual bank transfers need ever occur.  Only Americans, Brits, and Australians need to do the actual monthly bank transfers because their embassies unilaterally stopped issuing the income letter.  The French Embassy still does.

• Like 1

Some guy says "visas can only be obtained from outside Thailand".

Someone jumps in to say "Not true. You can get an O visa at Immigration".

I chose to agree with the first guys words, 'cause the O visa issued at Immigration is really an administrative upgrade to your visa exempt or tourist visa entry. It's put in your passport and immediately stamped USED. Call it a visa if you like but it's just a workaround, a bureaucratic sleight of hand that provides a foundation for an annual Permission of Stay.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, daejung said:

The link seems to be no longer valid.

I guess the evidence of income is still accepted, right ?

New link. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022C1_09.pdf It appears they have revised the info and changed the file name in February of this year (old link posted in January).

Income is still accepted if you have proof from a embassy. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OK, that's good news.

Easy Peasy. 

I never needed to make any transfer

• Like 1