Do you eat salmon ?

superal

If you are a regular consumer of salmon in Thailand , where do you buy it from, what price per kilo , which country was its origin and was it farmed or pole caught ? I was recently reading an article about the salmon trade and the intense salmon farming methods which produce inferior fish compared to the natural wild caught Alaskan salmon . Finally , smoked salmon , is it available in cutlets in Thailand ?

• Haha 1

About the only fish I eat (at home), or at all, besides an occasion whole grilled fish at vendor or take-away.  Makro, and <600 baht a kg, in freezer case.  Portioned filets, and probably farm raise.

Eat salmon once a week at home.  Whole grilled fish from vendor, maybe once a month.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Not after the Netflix special  showed all the corruption,  and deciept, and how bad disease is at the Salmon farms in Norway.  Younever know if you are eating Dyed meat.  

Then you should not eat farmed chicken or pork.  <deleted>ty business.

When in Thailand only fish I eat is fresh catched on ice from the sea, or frozen tuna from Makro!

The wild salomon is out of my budget if fresh salomon at all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I only eat wild caught pacific salmon, mostly hardwood smoked. I haven't seen any in the major supermarkets in Thailand.

Some of the farmed salmon comes from China, which is known for inadequate food standards and inspection. Most farmed salmon are fed "orange" pills to make their flesh look a nice colour.

Is the Chinese farmed salmon sold in Thailand and appropriately labelled , showing its origin etc ?  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I eat Salmon from Alaska King , frozen fillets, check Shopee,

has a good selection of other wild caught fish, also I eat canned

Salmon from John West and Princes , don't eat any farmed fish

regards worgeordie

Reckon I could rely on John West and Princes to be correctly labelled but the others , not so sure .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I eat Salmon from Alaska King , frozen fillets, check Shopee,

has a good selection of other wild caught fish, also I eat canned

Salmon from John West and Princes , don't eat any farmed fish

regards worgeordie

I start to understand why eating salmon generates always a burning feeling in my stomach so that I need omeprazole ....thanks for the suggestion to try wild caught fish

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I was brought up on salmon caught caught by rod and line from the river Findhorn in north east Scotland. No freezers in those days so it was salmon in one form or another day in day out. After I left home never ate salmon for about 20 years and very seldom eat it now. Restaurants cut it too thin and overcook it. Got some salmon tails once from Makro that were very nice.

Photo taken in 1957 with my dad's catch that day.

IMG-20210904-WA0005 (2).jpg

No doubt a treasured family photo and thanks for sharing it with us . Is that you in your fathers arms ?

3 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Not after the Netflix special  showed all the corruption,  and deciept, and how bad disease is at the Salmon farms in Norway.  Younever know if you are eating Dyed meat.  

Yes that was interesting, not eaten any fish myself for 50 years

• Like 1

I buy Atlantic Salmon from TMK store. Last month gotta load of frozen Salmon sides at 420 baht a kilo. Cold cured, cold smoked, some in the freezer and some as smoked salmon pate and smoked salmon cream cheese. ????????????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only eat smoked salmon in Thailand. Get it regularly from expat foods. They deliver from siambury's in Pattaya all over Thailand. Icelandic cold smoked sliced salmon side (unfortunately frozen) but the price is unbeatable at around 500baht a kilo.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, superal said:

No doubt a treasured family photo and thanks for sharing it with us . Is that you in your fathers arms ?

No,  I am on the left, my younger brother was big for his age but struggled with the weight, both fish were over 20 lbs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pagallim said:

I regularly buy smoked salmon trim (in 500g packs) which I turn into smoked salmon mousse.   Excellent.   239 baht for a 500g frozen pack from Food for Foreigners in Phuket (they deliver throughout Thailand).   I know they have regular salmon fillets, both smoked and unsmoked also.

How do you make the mousse?

3 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Saw the same special. Went from eating salmon once a week to only once a month. Still enjoy salmon, but I hope reducing consumption by 75% helps with what appears to be a slow moving, but rapidly accelerating, train wreck. 

• Like 2

I did eat salmon in Australia farmed in Tasmania which is probably the best of farmed fish. Supposed to be a super food rich in omega 3 fats. But a study released recently reported in Australian media is that the health benefits are hugely reduced on farmed fish such that the bad fats are significant. Then they say wild salmon has a lot of plastic.   I eat Australian barramundi which is a good fish, especially compared to Asia barramundi,  but that is farmed too. We have hoki or blue grenadier which is wild from New Zealand at a good price too. Not much help for Thai's but you might be able to buy the barramundi or hoki. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

How do you make the mousse?

In a food processor, I blend the salmon with cream cheese, creme fraiche, creamed horseradish, juice and zest of a fresh lemon, and chopped dill.   The same mix I use with Norwegian smoked mackeral instead of smoked salmon, again available from FFF.   With the mackeral, need to ensure the meat is free of skin and bones.

• Thanks 1

I purchase salmon from Gourmet Market in Emquartier Bangkok.  It’s Norwegian salmon.  I don’t think the product is that great.  But it’s the least expensive.

Price varies if it’s on promotion or not.

They also have an array of other types of salmon at higher prices 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, superal said:

where do you buy it from, what price per kilo ,

Yes I eat salmon which I buy from MAKRO in Siem Reap, Cambodia (where I now live). 

I purchase the inexpensive 1kg packs of frozen salmon fin bone at $5.30 (around 175 baht) which I defrost, cook, de-bone and mix the remaining salmon meat with low fat mayonnaise (CO-OP or Heinz here) which I then serve in sandwiches or with a salad. 

Frozen salmon "steaks" (cutlets) in 1kg packs of 5 (200gm each) cost $19.90 (around 660 baht). The salmon comes from Norwegian Farms. The Fresh Fish Section sells whole salmon and various cuts are available for your choice. Unfortunately I do not know the "fresh" prices as I always use frozen. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pagallim said:

In a food processor, I blend the salmon with cream cheese, creme fraiche, creamed horseradish, juice and zest of a fresh lemon, and chopped dill.   The same mix I use with Norwegian smoked mackeral instead of smoked salmon, again available from FFF.   With the mackeral, need to ensure the meat is free of skin and bones.

And then eat with toast?