Do you eat salmon ?

superal

I eat it occasionaly but chances are 90% of what's available if farmed, artificially colored and full of chemicals. Heallthier option is Thai Mackerel (pla tuu) or canned sardines/mackerel. Sad but true most of out seafood supplies are not much better than carriers for toxins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stopped eating <deleted> Salmon 30 years ago. IAt one time ate salmon every week, then got some famed salmon man could you taste the difference. No more salmon do not want to ingest those antibiotics and the millions of pounds of salmon s---t in those huge holding ponds.

• Like 1

I presume the doco you refer to is Seaspiracy. Fish farm industry had it banned. Usually means it’s accurate!

Salmon Confidential is also worth a watch, about my part of the world.

Here’s a salmon lesson. The fish farm industry has trained the public to believe all salmon has those big veins of white fat. Real salmon has to swim hard, thus very little fat. The photo above compares wild sockeye with farmed Atlantic.

In Canada, westcoast fish farms feed Atlantic salmon (!) pellets containing antibiotics, hormones & orange dye bound together with…chicken feathers. Yum, eh?

In Thailand, Paleo Robbie, Thammachart Seafood (not all wild fish, check carefully), Siam Viking are all good online sources.

Believe me, if you eat wild salmon you’ll never go back to chicken feathers.

One OP mentioned his salmon mousse with horseradish. The frozen horseradish from Circe Foods is the real deal.

Edited by unblocktheplanet
formatting
  • Like 1

I buy mine from Central Food Hall. New Zealand free range (not farmed, and sustainably caught). It's not always for sale there so I always grab a few more kilo's when it is. Delicious and as fresh as flown-in fish can be. The Aussie (Tasmanian) salmon they sell is also delicious but also not sold all the time.

Last time we bought, it cost something in the order of 2,000 to 2200 baht a kilo. They also sell (most often Alaskan salmon fillets) for about 2000 a kilo day in and day out.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Villa Mart have (had) wild caught Norwegian Salmon but it's quite expensive and about double farmed salmon from memory.

I only eat red salmon as the pink salmon is fresh water salmon and the pink comes from the dye they add in the salmon food.

• Like 1

China only harvested its first salmon last year - about one ton. so a pygmy on the world market.

Also, need to know your salmon species. Atlantic salmon and pacific red salmon are the best - Coho not so good - pink salmon is cheaper but lower on the scale - chum salmon the worst (i have seen it on sale in Thailand, native American indians thought it only fit for dogs). nearly all atlantic salmon is farmed now - wild salmon is now quite rare and makes up only about 1% of atlantic salmon marketed. Other salmon species are rarely farmed commercially.

There is a lot of hype over the issues with farmed fish - you only hear about the worst cases. Also find it funny that people will pay more for vegetables grown organically on animal manure, but wouldn't touch a fish from a manured fish pond! Fish like tilapia mainly eat detritus and vegetation, and because they are lower on the food chain, have much lower levels of toxic pollutants which are concentrated higher up the food chain (e.g. mercury, PCB's). hence why eating salmon and tuna every day is not recommended.

In Thailand, i mainly eat tilapia and tinned tuna. Being to far from the sea, nearly all the sea fish i see on sale in shops and Makro look stale.

• Like 1

A little off topic but back in the early 80's there was a commercial trawler wharf off walking street. Any evening you could go there and sit at a table on the wharf and eat fresh fish off the boats cooked in front of you. Very cheap too. Does anybody remember that?

Back in those days Pla Krapong wasn't farmed it was wild caught barramundi. aka ocean perch.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I buy mine from Central Food Hall. New Zealand free range (not farmed, and sustainably caught). It's not always for sale there so I always grab a few more kilo's when it is. Delicious and as fresh as flown-in fish can be. The Aussie (Tasmanian) salmon they sell is also delicious but also not sold all the time.

Last time we bought, it cost something in the order of 2,000 to 2200 baht a kilo. They also sell (most often Alaskan salmon fillets) for about 2000 a kilo day in and day out.

I hate to tell you that here in New Zealand wild salmon is not available commercially. Sure, you can go out and catch wild salmon yourself but as for buying wild caught salmon at fishmongers or in supermarkets, good luck. I'd be wary of any vendors in Thailand saying that salmon imported from New Zealand was wild caught. That's not to say that farmed New Zealand salmon is bad, rather that what you're getting up there is most likely farmed and not wild-caught. For reference, see point 7 from the website of this New Zealand salmon producer: https://www.regalsalmon.com/nz/blog/top-7-salmon-myths-busted/

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Villa Mart have (had) wild caught Norwegian Salmon but it's quite expensive and about double farmed salmon from memory.

Villa are a place to avoid, some of their prices are well over the top. ie tins of corned beef, I can get them delivered by Lazada at about half villas price.

Foodland are a much better bet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I thought you made a typo on the price per kilo , until I did a search . Then I found wild Alaskan smoked king salmon at $29 for a 6-8 oz fillet  . That works out at over 4000 baht per kilo .

Who pays these prices ? 

For those that think they are buying wild salmon, google 'how to tell the difference' and you'll realize you probably aren't, even if paying a premium price. I've seen some expensive farm raise salmon displayed here, 'mislabeled'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

For those that think they are buying wild salmon, google 'how to tell the difference' and you'll realize you probably aren't, even if paying a premium price. I've seen some expensive farm raise salmon displayed here, 'mislabeled'.

Mislabelled ? you are a very forgiving person and have picked up on one of my concerns . 

There has been some good informative replies on this subject 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 12:13 PM, WEBBYB808 said:

Not after the Netflix special  showed all the corruption,  and deciept, and how bad disease is at the Salmon farms in Norway.  Younever know if you are eating Dyed meat.  

Famous since 10 years and not only in Norway, UK is the same and any other country farming salmon.

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2022 at 3:30 PM, thierryviteau said:

Famous since 10 years and not only in Norway, UK is the same and any other country farming salmon.

So funny how so many people know nothing, maybe they prefer to watch useless stupid movies than documentaries / reporting ?

Used to make documentaries/reporting, now I only watch stupid movies/series.

(Which are probably more truthful than the docos/reporting)

Back to the OP,

Not eaten any salmon for 20 years, and when I did eat it, came out of a can.

It wasn't a conscious decision, just something I never put in my shopping basket.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

I don't see here (Pattaya) cans of salmon (mix with mashed potato, etc, for salmon cakes) - only tuna, sardines, mackrel - all good fish, but many of which are spoiled (in my taste) by being canned with sauces or spices - still  there's enough tuna in spring water or brine for a simple meal - but I do miss the salmon cakes I used to make.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, law ling said:

I don't see here (Pattaya) cans of salmon (mix with mashed potato, etc, for salmon cakes) - only tuna, sardines, mackrel - all good fish, but many of which are spoiled (in my taste) by being canned with sauces or spices - still  there's enough tuna in spring water or brine for a simple meal - but I do miss the salmon cakes I used to make.

Agree, tinned tuna and mackerel are good enough for me.

I also prefer the tins in brine, not keen on tomato sauce.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 4:27 PM, tonray said:

I eat it occasionaly but chances are 90% of what's available if farmed, artificially colored and full of chemicals. Heallthier option is Thai Mackerel (pla tuu) or canned sardines/mackerel. Sad but true most of out seafood supplies are not much better than carriers for toxins.

So you are a vegetarian then? How about farmed chickens and pigs, etc. What chemicals/hormones are they using? I'v never seen fresh wild salmon in Thailand. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DavisH said:

So you are a vegetarian then? How about farmed chickens and pigs, etc. What chemicals/hormones are they using? I'v never seen fresh wild salmon in Thailand. 

I am even sceptical about the so called fresh mackerel sold in places like Makro . They are laid in , or on top of loose ice and the fish are not frozen . Up here in Issan we are many miles from the coasts , so I would think that the fish must have been frozen at some stage for transportation in this country with a hot climate . Maybe a better bet to buy frozen fish from the deep freezer compartments as I believe that the factory fishing boats freeze the fish as soon as they are caught and processed and thus have not been thawed out at any stage .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Maybe a better bet to buy frozen fish from the deep freezer compartments as I believe that the factory fishing boats freeze the fish as soon as they are caught and processed and thus have not been thawed out at any stage .

I won't buy fresh if frozen is available, just for that reason.  

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 3:30 PM, thierryviteau said:

So funny how so many people know nothing, maybe they prefer to watch useless stupid movies than documentaries / reporting ?

It's only useless if one can't  read watch observe and extrapolate truth from the media.  Your statement is eerily similar to the way people thought about medicine back when the science was young and misunderstood.   They too didn't  believe or were unable comprehend that which was presented,  but now we can do blood transfusions,  and organ transplants and more.  How does this realate to the topic you nay ask?  It relates more to your weak statment and the history  of the ones who thought the way you do and it's the 21rst century; people still mock what they dont understand.  I'm sure there were people saying the same thing you just did,"stupid and useless," information  and now we all know which side of history and science  was right, and it sure wasn't  the ones saying it was stupid and useless.