Do you eat salmon ?

superal

On 1/10/2022 at 4:07 PM, TigerandDog said:

A norwegian friend of mine has told me how to differentiate between wild & farmed salmon.  Farmed salmon is paler in colour and has more predominant white lines in the flesh. See pic attached

farmed v wild.jpg

The paler, white lined salmon in your photo above (i.e. farmed) looks like every piece of salmon I can ever recall seeing in Thailand.  ????

I used to get the frozen farmed Salmon at Makro.

Not very good but needed some salmon once in a while.

I have eaten it for a year after getting really sick eating it.  

TOPS usually sells different varieties of it.

Very expensive!

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The paler, white lined salmon in your photo above (i.e. farmed) looks like every piece of salmon I can ever recall seeing in Thailand.  ????

This U.S. PBS segment on wild vs farmed salmon, despite its series title "Serving Up Science", doesn't strike me as a shining example of science based reporting.

But it does seem to support --  in general (see the screenshot below) --  the coloration issue mentioned above about farmed vs wild, though the host notes that can vary by salmon species.

Screenshot_1.jpg.e26457879e66eb8086f6d3ba5ec179c0.jpg

The odd part is, in viewing the whole piece, while they talk about the issue of industrial contamination in seawater fish, there's zero mention in the whole piece about the whole antibiotics, chemicals, artificial coloring issues related to farmed salmon.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I've pretty much given up on eating it here over the years for several reasons.

1. The difficulty of telling what's really decent vs what's not.

2. The inability to fully trust the product labeling and food handling practices here, especially for something as sensitive as fresh seafood.

3. And if I did find something that was legitimately good, it probably would be priced here beyond what I'd reasonably be willing to pay.

• Like 2

The farmed salmon is just fine.  I get it at Big C extra at least once a week and have them to barbecue it for me.  If you can't trust that then you may as well not trust fish & chips or chicken or pork or anything else and just eat canned food.

Edited by shdmn

Have a look at this documentary. The first part goes off a diversion to pangasius farming in Vietnam. But then it returned to Norwegian farmed salmon at about the 18 minute mark. Calling farmed salmon the most polluted food in the world.

And within the report, there's a French scientist who measured industrial/chemical pollution found in various food products and is showing those levels on the screen cap image chart shown below, with the farmed salmon levels in the far right column (23:20 point in the video).

Screenshot_3.jpg.b8069d7e289d7ae0e7360b004d446225.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg.1fd6db2e5625efae8513b1b9aa5d3611.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Have a look at this documentary. The first part goes off a diversion to pangasius farming in Vietnam. But then it returned to Norwegian farmed salmon at about the 18 minute mark. Calling farmed salmon the most polluted food in the world.

And within the report, there's a French scientist who measured industrial/chemical pollution found in various food products and is showing those levels on the screen cap image chart shown below, with the farmed salmon levels in the far right column (23:20 point in the video).

Screenshot_3.jpg.b8069d7e289d7ae0e7360b004d446225.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg.1fd6db2e5625efae8513b1b9aa5d3611.jpg

WOW , if you watch this informative video , you will probably never eat salmon , cod or any fish that has been farmed in Norway or from the Baltic sea . Whilst most meats that we eat e.g. chicken , beef , pork etc , comes under some form of control and regulation , it seems that the fish industry is under a mafia type corrupt control and with little if any regulation . Indeed the Norwegian fisheries minister , along with others who have a vested interest in the fishery industry , need to be investigated as they are knowingly promoting the sales of carcinogenic food . Scientist stated that to eat the Baltic fish no more than 1 time a month , if at all . Safest fish are small non farmed fish such as Pacific sardines . It seems that the only good and safe salmon to eat are those from Alaska and wild caught by way of a well managed sustainable environment that is overseen by biologists . They will be expensive .

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, billsmart said:

I don't eat salmon much anymore, but when I did, I bought it at Makro. It was fresh filets or steaks.

I have no idea where it came from or how it was caught or farmed.

That's where we/my wife gets salmon from. For some reason last Monday she said ' No need today '.

When we do buy it I cook it slowly in a little milk.  The delight on my wife's face . Once I said  " Is that better than sex ? " She replied ' It is the way you do it '.  Charming !

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, superal said:

WOW , if you watch this informative video , you will probably never eat salmon , cod or any fish that has been farmed in Norway or from the Baltic sea .

Ya, that video is quite an eye-opener, and would definitely put me off eating any farmed salmon from anywhere, frankly., given the questionable nature of the contaminated, antibiotic dosed pellet food used in fish farms.

I looked at the Thammachat Seafood site on FoodPanda this morning, and they had on offer a lot of "fresh" salmon from New Zealand at prices around 2,000b per kilo. But as far as I could tell, it's likely all farm raised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1