Pork Vendors Urge Government To Import Pork to Curb Rising Price

snoop1130

63d1d1da6267fae304722579e5206a95_small.PNG

BANGKOK (NNT) - Pork sellers are urging the government to import pork to help control soaring prices that are currently impacting both consumers and vendors.

Pork vendors at Huai Khwang market expressed concerns that the average price of market pork might hit 300 baht per kilogram if the government does not intervene. Rising prices have already hit sales as regular customers order less pork from vendors. One vendor urged the government to start importing pork to alleviate the situation, while a customer in the area said she was forced to reduce her purchases due to soaring prices.

According to Wattanasak Sur-iam, director-general of the Internal Trade Department, a survey has been launched to evaluate the number of live pigs and frozen stocks in the country. Teams will also be dispatched to survey pork stocks and provide information that can help officials decide on their next course of action.

The export of live pigs has been suspended until April 5, with pig farmers, distributors and food freezing facility operators now required to report their stocks on a weekly basis.

Meanwhile, government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana has denied the rumors of an outbreak of African swine fever (ASF) in the Kingdom. He added that Thai authorities must report any ASF cases to the World Organisation for Animal Health and would never hide such an outbreak from the world. Nevertheless, he said the Department of Livestock Development is closely monitoring any suspected cases and preparing measures to prevent the disease from entering the country.

nnt.jpg

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

One vendor urged the government to start importing pork to alleviate the situation, while a customer in the area said she was forced to reduce her purchases due to soaring prices.

Middle men making too much out of a bad situation again.

• Like 1

Allow the market to make the adjustment. Importing pork from major producing countries like Australia or USA will not reduce the price. Pork is not an essential item and consumers will find alternatives. Demand and supply will find the equilibrium eventually. 

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Allow the market to make the adjustment. Importing pork from major producing countries like Australia or USA will not reduce the price. Pork is not an essential item and consumers will find alternatives. Demand and supply will find the equilibrium eventually. 

i think many of the peasants in the local villages near me might dispute it as not being essential most of their staple diet revolves around it ..for the more wealthy perhaps you are correct..

14 hours ago, timendres said:

The cure for high prices is higher prices. Increases supply, reduces demand.

and prices are rising ..saturday at big c betagrow pork chops 150 baht a kilo i went to buy more on sunday from the same counter 199 baht a kilo 25% in 24 hours thats a lot for the locals who are already hard pushed for cash..

17 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

However, pork farmers will scream!

When they produce only half the pork they did in 2019, prices are bound to rise, to their advantage, we call that anti-trust in the US....................Peace

19 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

i think many of the peasants in the local villages near me might dispute it as not being essential most of their staple diet revolves around it ..for the more wealthy perhaps you are correct..

Not disputing that some will find pork irresistible. However I do think the aggregate demand will decline due to the high price. Some anecdotal examples from news sources like the ready-to-eat food seller Oy saying that she replaced pork with chicken and fish on her menu or a restaurant using chicken for her red curry with pumpkin instead of pork or butcher Niew saying her business suffering as many regulars moved away from porl and buying chicken because it was cheaper. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The export of live pigs has been suspended

Fr reference:-

The latest "pork" situation in neighboring Cambodia (January 11th 2022):-

"The outbreak of African Swine Fever (ASF) in Thailand’s pig farms has created serious concern among pig breeders in many provinces in Cambodia, with many calling for stricter border checks on the transportation of live pigs and their meat from the neighbouring country. 

Banteay Meanchey province’s Agriculture Department ............ said although they are aware of the outbreak in Thailand, the pig farms in Cambodia are still safe from the deadly disease due to strict hygienic measures put in place.

............... due to Covid, many of the pig farms had closed their businesses and only a handful was operating."

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501004400/outbreak-of-asf-in-thailand-a-worrying-concern-in-cambodia/

10 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I hope the African Swine Flu vaccine is better at PREVENTING the disease than Covid vaccines are. I mean, who wants a hog that has only a touch of the Flu?

What topic do you really want to have a whinge, about in this Pork price one?