Oh no! I've moved countries again - now in Mauritius :)

simon43

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's the vicious cold that is the problem.

Yes.  Today I am very happy because I found the 'standard' treatment medicine (Intraconozole) in the shopping mall pharmacy! I was never able to buy this in Burma and Laos, so now I can treat myself to keep the nasty mushrooms at bay!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

3 - I am living on $1,500/month easily, but that doesn't mean that I only have an income of $1,500/month!  I spend what I need to spend and save the rest.  If I need to earn more money, then I open up my online teaching (science) calendar and the lesson bookings roll in.  But I don't need to do that because I'm happy with my income right now.

I did not want to insult you or insisting you're a "cheap charlie". I'm just curious if one can live on 11k THB (after fix costs) in Mauritius. This a less 10 Euros a day. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yes, from what I read, that seems fine.  You have to show a bank statement when you apply to renew your annual retirement visa, that shows you have transferred $18,000 (or equivalent in other currencies), from overseas to a local bank account.

But to start the initial visa process, you need to open the local bank account, then transfer $1,500, and then your first annual visa is granted.

And then do that for 3consecutive years and get a 20yr PR ? am I inderstanding that correctly ?

On one flight, I think it was to Australia, I was seated next to a tall, curly long hair bloke from Mauritius. He was helping everyone around him with the bags, and was one of most illustrious characters I've ever met. Never knew Mauritius existed until he told me that's where he was from. That put Mauritius on my bucket list. Not to live there. I mean just to visit. No idea what it looks like, but if this guy is any indication, people there seem nice.

Kind of like.. you know, the opposite from most of Europe...

• Haha 1

Do you need travel and health insurance for visa purposes?

What do you think of the 6-month 'Premium Visa'?

Compared to Thailand (or Laos), how easy is it to open a bank account as a foreigner?

And how would you rate the hospitals (costs, quality)?

What is the food like (french/rye bread available)?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Very interesting thread - thanks. What made you leave Laos in the end?

Lol, the local police boss in Luang Prabang 'encouraged' me to leave after he took great exception to my (legal) amateur radio hobby...... I also missed sunny beaches (the Mekong river beach in town is mostly mud flats).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

Former French protectorate several centuries ago! It was seized by Britain in 1810....

Also of interest to me as plan B is Reunion, the island next door to Mauritius.  That is part of France's 'Outre-mer', and part of the EU.  I have applied for an Irish passport (citizenship via my Irish grandfather).  This would allow me to move to Reunion and live there visa-free, with my UK state pension index-linked as in Mauritius.  But this is a plan B (or C or D) option.

A useful fact about Mauritius is that UK driving licences are valid on the island without time limit.  One doesn't have to exchange them for a local licence.

sounds like you found a really good deal here, the women of "Ile Maurice" are quite nice when they are thin, they could rock your world.

Mauritius is one of the paradise island to go to for your wedding days or expensive vacations. There used to be a lot of "100% nude" beach there during summer, not sure if still the case, with a lot of gorgeous western girls looking for a 100% tan for their instagram ????

On 1/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, simon43 said:

I never said that ????.  I have to transfer $1,500 each month into my local bank account, but I don't need to spend it!  I just have to show a bank statement each annual visa renewal to show that I have transferred 12 x $1,500 = $18,000 into the country. I could beg for food by the side of the road and live for free in a tent and still have all the money in the local bank if I want ????

Hi there, Simon.

What an exciting and somewhat unusual new "home" that you have.

Coincidentally, I quite recently looked into Mauritius as an option but I'm confused about the income rules.

I have read that you need to import the 1500 per month but from another source I read that you need to PROVE at least that amount as income (such as pension).

So, which is it?
If it's more flexible then someone with pension of 1300 but having assets could still easily qualify but if the rule is based on proven income, it would be a no go.

Another question, do the transfers need to be each and every month, or could you in theory just import the full 18,000 one time?

On 1/10/2022 at 6:21 AM, simon43 said:

Well,  having recently moved from Laos to live on the beaches of south-west Turkey, I thought everything was fine...

You've probably already revealed your reason(s) in a previous thread...But might you tell me what caused you to leave Laos?

Did the work visa become more difficult?

You were once the Western World's biggest champion of that place.

1 hour ago, BananaBandit said:

You've probably already revealed your reason(s) in a previous thread...But might you tell me what caused you to leave Laos?

Did the work visa become more difficult?

You were once the Western World's biggest champion of that place.

He was being pressured for continual  payment by corrupt Police over his Ham  Radio interest  and refused to let that continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

He was being pressured for continual  payment by corrupt Police over his Ham  Radio interest  and refused to let that continue.

Exactly as Charlie said.  I had zero problems with living in north Laos, lovely people, food, hills and rivers etc.

Then this <deleted> bigwig police officer drove past my house one day and saw all my radio antennas...! ????

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Exactly as Charlie said.  I had zero problems with living in north Laos, lovely people, food, hills and rivers etc.

Then this <deleted> bigwig police officer drove past my house one day and saw all my radio antennas...! ????

why didn't you just stop using the radio stuff and take them down?

• Confused 3

On 1/11/2022 at 6:20 AM, simon43 said:

Yes, I'm fully aware that there are agents and corrupt officials who take bribes.  I prefer to try to live by the rules and not take risks or make myself a target for corruption or extortion.

Jeff, yes certainly I will see what prices are like.  So far no shocks at all. I have been shopping in the 'InterMarche' at the big shopping centre, plenty of choice of local and imported products.  The prices are what I expected, and quite affordable for me.  Not sure about beer, cigarettes etc, but I'll check next time.

You make it all sound very tempting 555 ...

On 1/22/2022 at 11:20 AM, simon43 said:

Nice clear water!  I need to buy a facemask etc and get my head under the water when I paddle each day ????

Just be careful , when i was there , it must be about at least 45 years ago, I spent

too much time snorkeling , and  sun burned my back very bad , on the flight back

to the UK, it was all dried up and scales like a crocodile,  it was a terrible

flight and i could not put my back on the rear of the seat and it was as itchy as hell.

but apart from that had a great time there, good luck.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1