Oh no! I've moved countries again - now in Mauritius :)

simon43

Ever consider going into the monkey-exporting business?   ????

The shipment of monkeys was en route to a CDC-approved quarantine facility after arriving Friday morning at New York’s Kennedy Airport from Mauritius

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2022/01/22/lab-monkey-pennsylvania-crash-troopers-danville-montour-county/stories/202201220035

• Sad 1

Aspergillosis is not serious, presumably like you.

There are various cures available for both seriousness and aspergillosis, according to how both illnesses present upon reaching your clinic for treatment.

The asparagus and cabbage treatment is sure fire.

Day One: Eat nothing but asparagus

Day Two: Eat nothing but boiled cabbage

Day Three: East nothing but asparagus

Day Four: Eat nothing but cabbage

Day Five: Eat nothing but asparagus

Day Six: Eat nothing but cabbage

Day Seven: Gorge Only on mouth-watering decent Stilton, and nothing else....

5-Clawson-Stilton-Gold.jpg.c2c0371930cdb7c6f612017ee7848ff5.jpg

After two pounds of prime Stilton, on the seventh day, you will be cured of all ills.

Such a beautiful cheese.

Not to be wasted on the likes of those who don't truly fancy a Stilton cheese.

It has been many years since I tasted Stilton.

And, it has been even more years since I tasted what some consider to be the essence of a woman.

After you move from HK, Stilton is hard to get.

After you give up Stilton, then it is easier to give up women, too.

From my experience, if one gives up womanizing, then it is easier to lose weight, just from everlasting pining after them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/11/2022 at 1:15 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Great reporting, @simon43. Wow, you found cranberry juice: Langers/Ocean Spray/Ligo? Good price! Beats Thailand. Did you see V8 vegetable juice? I miss V8, which has gone missing in Thailand for over half a year.

I'd appreciate a check into the price of ciggies (Camel/Mevius), beer 330ml (imported, I assume) and Irish whiskey (Jameson). Do they have the usual small convenience shops, a.k.a., 7-11 and such? Thanks muchly!

are you giving him a shopping list  ....

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Get a long sleeve surfing shirt, also with a hoodie if needed.

Screenshot_20220124-123516.jpg

An old t-shirt works just fine!  No need to buy that clobber - I only have time to be in the sea for 20 minutes qt 6am...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I applaud anyone trying alternatives to Thailand. Some of us have very good lives here, despite all the nonsense. But, few can argue that the country is not moving backwards. Thailand epitomizes an unprogressive environment and nation, run by toxic, corrupt, incapable dinosaurs. 

The best is the freedom to travel and enjoy the whole country without feeling unsafe except on the roads.

Love riding motorbike, and Thailand is a great place for not only on road, but also off-road. 

The only place in world where you can pass police and wave to them with a big smile a bit ove the speed limit. 

Still affordable big land country side to buy if you enjoy peace and quiet. 

<deleted> in every country where most western retire, but if possible I keep leaving the back door open. Mauritius is a place I easy could have enjoyed 3-6 months a year. Still no direct flights, and I would need as now three flights to get there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Never mind the location and size of the place, but I'd be worried to be at the mercy of only a few airlines and their expensive flights.

Well, that would only be a problem if you intend to fly somewhere....

JT - Yes, I checked Numbeo before I made the decision to move here.  So far, I have not had any shocks from my day-to-day costs.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 1:46 PM, simon43 said:

Yes, I guess if I want to have trendy consumer items and clothes, then I will have to pay higher prices.  But I'm happy with local fruit and vegetables and YouTube.  I don't need any consumer items ????

Now as to the ladies.  Well, there are the 'big fat mama' types of African ladies, who look very jolly.  Then there are many slim African women who all look like hookers to me!!  I need to 'sound out' all this, to avoid any wrong moves ????  There there are many slim Indian/Asian women.

To be perfectly honest, my main interest is improving my health, jogging on the beautiful beach, eating healthy food etc, and relaxing.  Involving a women in my life usually leads to increased stress levels and an empty bank account!!

You have Asian girls in Mauritius?

On 1/13/2022 at 6:43 AM, simon43 said:

Former French protectorate several centuries ago! It was seized by Britain in 1810....

Also of interest to me as plan B is Reunion, the island next door to Mauritius.  That is part of France's 'Outre-mer', and part of the EU.  I have applied for an Irish passport (citizenship via my Irish grandfather).  This would allow me to move to Reunion and live there visa-free, with my UK state pension index-linked as in Mauritius.  But this is a plan B (or C or D) option.

A useful fact about Mauritius is that UK driving licences are valid on the island without time limit.  One doesn't have to exchange them for a local licence.

Be sure to inform yourself well if you want to change going to live in the Reunion because the cost of living and the rent is much higher and also the taxes on your work are to be considered because from France it is a tax hell.

But congratulations on having chosen your island well, here in Thailand many expat are thinking about it as I am also carefully evaluating Mauritius as the next country to emigrate, thanks for all your information and with my best wishes on your island.

• Like 2

Clearly, Simon's posts have genereted great interest with regard to Mauritius.

Mauritius is a small island with a small population. It won't take much and the locals would feel threatened by the influx of significant numbers of Farangs. Note: Everywhere, locals start to feel "threatened" if "foreighners" surpass a certain critical percentage of the population. At this point, the locals will ask the Government to take steps to "stem the tide".

How do you "stem the tide"? = By thightening Immigration-Rules!

So, before every Tom, Dick and Harry disembarkes at the Mauritius Airport (whisteling the Mauritius national anthem), better make your move now, if at all.

4 hours ago, BE88 said:

Be sure to inform yourself well if you want to change going to live in the Reunion because the cost of living and the rent is much higher and also the taxes on your work are to be considered because from France it is a tax hell.

But congratulations on having chosen your island well, here in Thailand many expat are thinking about it as I am also carefully evaluating Mauritius as the next country to emigrate, thanks for all your information and with my best wishes on your island.

Thanks for your message!  Reunion is a plan Z option, that is only on my list because it is considered EU, and thus easy to relocate to.  But is is definitely a plan Z, after plans B, C .....

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:19 PM, simon43 said:

Mauritius is the richest country in Africa, according to Google).

All the sweatshops.

Do you do any diving or snorkeling?

Banking?

Alcohol? Taxes.

Flights in/outboard?

Post pics of your place. You could get a house with a pool in HH and CM for 18. Maybe inland Phuket.

Good luck.

Good move. At least you're trying it out.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Mauritius is famous for honeymooners, I couldn't think of a worse place to go if you have to see that. When I went to Bahamas there was a conveyer belt of newly weds getting photos on the beach, so tacky, probably sounded good in the brochure

I'm guessing this has changed forever with covid and economies throughout the world wrecked.

• Like 1

@simon43 ... I have been waiting to move to Cambodia but your blog has moved my destination to Mauritius - thanks for the great blog

So far: found accommodation with Airbnb, vaccine certificates, checked flights, found health insurance with Cigna and now wondering what else before I leave UK.

Did you manage to open a Bank account easily?  Online, Banks seems to require deposit (~>$10K) and proof of address! 

Anything else you can think of to add to the Todo list before leaving UK

Grateful for any advice. 

Edited by ebbi

6 hours ago, ebbi said:

@simon43 ... I have been waiting to move to Cambodia but your blog has moved my destination to Mauritius - thanks for the great blog

So far: found accommodation with Airbnb, vaccine certificates, checked flights, found health insurance with Cigna and now wondering what else before I leave UK.

Did you manage to open a Bank account easily?  Online, Banks seems to require deposit (~>$10K) and proof of address! 

Anything else you can think of to add to the Todo list before leaving UK

Grateful for any advice. 

Simon mentioned an online Expat group that helped him find accomadation, perhaps join that for more pointers/info, just a siggestion.

• Thanks 1

I've been few times to Mauritius, Reunion, Madagascar, Seychelles, Maldives (and few other places).

Some personal observations and nothing against people who have other views:

-Mauritius was nice for short time. Too small island for extended stay. After while nothing to explore.

-Reunion a bit nicer than Mauritius.

-Seychelles/Maldives for tourists/holiday and also not for long stay.

-Madagascar poor country and under developed, so ok tourist/holiday destination but not for long stay.

-All great destinations to visit.

I will stay in Thailand, but when back to normal pre-covid times, might vist any of these places again, as a tourist.