Oh no! I've moved countries again - now in Mauritius :)

simon43

5 hours ago, ebbi said:

@simon43 ... I have been waiting to move to Cambodia but your blog has moved my destination to Mauritius - thanks for the great blog

So far: found accommodation with Airbnb, vaccine certificates, checked flights, found health insurance with Cigna and now wondering what else before I leave UK.

Did you manage to open a Bank account easily?  Online, Banks seems to require deposit (~>$10K) and proof of address! 

Anything else you can think of to add to the Todo list before leaving UK

Grateful for any advice. 

To open a bank account you need to wait to receive your retirement or premium visa from immigration (I'm waiting on this right now).  They will provide you with a letter for the bank that instructs the bank to open the account to receive your $1,500 (or equivalent) funds from overseas each month.

Apart from that, I really have not met with any difficult requirements or processes.  Mask-wearing is currently required in shops etc, with a temperature check at the entrance.  But no requirement to show QR code/vaccine proof etc when you enter the shop.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Simon mentioned an online Expat group that helped him find accomadation, perhaps join that for more pointers/info, just a siggestion.

@CharlieH ... thanks, the FB Expat group seems quite active and helpful.  I have chosen a Airbnb for a month just to help find my bearings before somewhere more permanent.  The North and West seems to be preferred with amenities and more choice.

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

To open a bank account you need to wait to receive your retirement or premium visa from immigration (I'm waiting on this right now).  They will provide you with a letter for the bank that instructs the bank to open the account to receive your $1,500 (or equivalent) funds from overseas each month.

Apart from that, I really have not met with any difficult requirements or processes.  Mask-wearing is currently required in shops etc, with a temperature check at the entrance.  But no requirement to show QR code/vaccine proof etc when you enter the shop.

Thanks Simon,  ... Thanks again for your great blog; for me it was very timely and just the confidence nudge that it is doable.  Cheers.

Edited by ebbi
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:12 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Aspergillosis is not serious, presumably like you.

There are various cures available for both seriousness and aspergillosis, according to how both illnesses present upon reaching your clinic for treatment.

The asparagus and cabbage treatment is sure fire.

Day One: Eat nothing but asparagus

Day Two: Eat nothing but boiled cabbage

Day Three: East nothing but asparagus

Day Four: Eat nothing but cabbage

Day Five: Eat nothing but asparagus

Day Six: Eat nothing but cabbage

Day Seven: Gorge Only on mouth-watering decent Stilton, and nothing else....

5-Clawson-Stilton-Gold.jpg.c2c0371930cdb7c6f612017ee7848ff5.jpg

After two pounds of prime Stilton, on the seventh day, you will be cured of all ills.

Such a beautiful cheese.

Not to be wasted on the likes of those who don't truly fancy a Stilton cheese.

It has been many years since I tasted Stilton.

And, it has been even more years since I tasted what some consider to be the essence of a woman.

After you move from HK, Stilton is hard to get.

After you give up Stilton, then it is easier to give up women, too.

From my experience, if one gives up womanizing, then it is easier to lose weight, just from everlasting pining after them.

A very strange post by someone, and completely out of context, but then again this poster has experience at posting strange stuff.

The sad part about it is that the so-called "Stilton" in the picture doesn't look like Stilton at all!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ebbi said:

Thanks Simon,  ... Thanks again for your great blog; for me it was very timely and just the confidence nudge that it is doable.  Cheers.

@simon43 ... (apologies if its an obvious question; couldn't find a good answer online); did you have to book a return ticket; it is mentioned as one of the documents for the online visa application? I wouldn't know when or where I would be returning to! Or do you know if they will accept a travel itinerary (without purchase)?

Edited by ebbi

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

A very strange post by someone, and completely out of context, but then again this poster has experience at posting strange stuff.

The sad part about it is that the so-called "Stilton" in the picture doesn't look like Stilton at all!

Xylophone, I block GammaGlobulin, so I only spotted his comment "Aspergillosis is not serious..." in your quoted reply about Stilton.

@GammaGlobulin, thanks so much for telling me that Aspergillosis is not serious.  I really wonder why I have suffered for almost 25 years with this chronic illness, forcing me to leave the UK for hot/humid climates that are more agreeable to my lungs. Had I known that it isn't serious, I'd have never travelled to Thailand all those years ago.

Honestly GG, you really are a &*!!$&!!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ebbi said:

@simon43 ... (apologies if its an obvious question; couldn't find a good answer online); did you have to book a return ticket; it is mentioned as one of the documents for the online visa application? I wouldn't know when or where I would be returning to! Or do you know if they will accept a travel itinerary (without purchase)?

Right, I tried this, because I didn't want to book a return ticket back to Istanbul, (a city that I have no intention to return to!).  At Istanbul airport check-in, I was 'grilled' about my lack of return ticket, but bluffed my way through.  At Mauritius Airport, I was grilled again and told to buy a single ticket to Reunion Island using my mobile phone while standing at immigration.  I was only waved through because I was holding up the queue!

Finally, when I applied for my Premium Visa, I was politely told that I must have a ticket leaving Mauritius at/near the end of my year of stay.  So I bought a single ticket to Reunion for next January 2023, and that was accepted.  I'll either cancel that ticket later, or even take a holiday to Reunion...

Bottom line:  Yes, you must show a reserved outbound ticket from Mauritius.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, 2 weeks after applying online for my annual visa, I received it by email just now ????  With this visa, I can legally live in Mauritius and legally work online from my rented house.  The visa cost is free, with no visits to an immigration office, no requirement to provide printed documents (and numerous copies!), and no need to provide any notarised or apostled documents.  Oh, no health-check either. No 90-day report, no need to inform anyone if I travel around the island, no need to do paperwork if I leave the island for a holiday ????.  

If you had a Thai wife? Visa for her?

How is hospital? 

13 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If you had a Thai wife? Visa for her?

How is hospital? 

She gets a dependent visa ????

As for the hospitals, I believe they are rated very well.  Certainly much better than those in Laos/Myanmar where I previously lived...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, 2 weeks after applying online for my annual visa, I received it by email just now ????  With this visa, I can legally live in Mauritius and legally work online from my rented house.  The visa cost is free, with no visits to an immigration office, no requirement to provide printed documents (and numerous copies!), and no need to provide any notarised or apostled documents.  Oh, no health-check either. No 90-day report, no need to inform anyone if I travel around the island, no need to do paperwork if I leave the island for a holiday ????.  

Great news ???? ... ( I am about to upload my documents; and its all your "fault" ???? )

Another question if you can help; booked a bnb on the West coast (Balaclava Beach); public transport seems limited; did you hire a car or do you know of any longer term lease options?  

Edited by ebbi
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ebbi said:

Great news ???? ... ( I am about to upload my documents; and its all your "fault" ???? )

Another question if you can help; booked a bnb on the West coast (Balaclava Beach); public transport seems limited; did you hire a car or do you know of any longer term lease options?  

It will also be good to hear of your experiences ebbi, and much as I totally trust Simon43 and his reports, it doesn't hurt for another person's experience to be posted on here.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ebbi said:

I rented a car by the month, so that I could go where/when I wanted.  Actually, I see many public buses, but since I don't need to use them, I haven't checked on their timetables.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Be careful out there , I have just seem that a cyclone is on its way 

Yes, the only natural drawback to living in Mauritius!  I'm keeping an eye on the cyclone - might have to lower my radio antennas if the wind gets too strong.  Bad cyclones are infrequent (I think the last major cyclone was about 15 years ago).

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

It will also be good to hear of your experiences ebbi, and much as I totally trust Simon43 and his reports, it doesn't hurt for another person's experience to be posted on here.

Good luck.

Thanks; So far, its been a pleasant experiance! The initial due diligence for health, housing and community is better for my circumstance than Far East (or Middle East).  YouTube has plenty to refer to (usual expat blogs and a couple of detailed discussion panels with reps from the Economic Development Forumn).

The check list on the application website is a nice organised todo list.  My questions that Simon help clarify were: How do you open a bank account without an address (they will provide a letter) and b) onward flight (book a refundable ticket). c) getting arround the Island (long term car hire)

I will post again after uploading documents and the response.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Speaking French, why did you pick Mauritius, and not, say, Reunion?

Reunion is more expensive to live in (according to my research).  It's also full of French......  Mauritius is mostly populated by south Asians.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Reunion is more expensive to live in (according to my research).  It's also full of French......  Mauritius is mostly populated by south Asians.

Spot on... Locales are despicable and a vast majority of them are living on French government benefits. Daily life around Saint-Denis looks like a poor suburb of Marseille. 

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

So far (it's early days), I'm very happy with my move to Mauritius.  I have my 'digital nomad' visa, new bank account, access to beaches and nature, nice weather, healthy food etc.  

Good to hear Simon43, and please keep us informed of your events/life/experiences in Mauritius.

• Like 1