Oh no! I've moved countries again - now in Mauritius :)

simon43

41 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Here in Mauritius, I am issued with an annual retirement visa for persons over 50 years old.  There is no deposit requirement, but one must bring into the country $1,500 every month, but you need not spend it.  After 3 years, you are issued with a 20-year PR visa and no annual or monthly financial requirement!  You could live here on a UK state pension (which BTW is index-linked, because Mauritius has an agreement with the UK, just like EU countries).

That's quite cheap, I could afford that.

Sorry to hear Turkey didn't work out.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Aspergillosis is a fungal infection of usually the lungs,[1] caused by the genus Aspergillus, a common mold that is breathed in frequently from the air around, but does not usually affect most people.[2][3] It generally occurs in people with lung diseases such as asthma, cystic fibrosis or tuberculosis, or those who have had a stem cell or organ transplant, and those who cannot fight infection because of medications they take such as steroids and some cancer treatments.

Why would this be a problem in Turkey and not in Africa?

Edited by Don Chance

Mauritius being a tiny place with a population of 1.2 million i'm sure that most consumer items are imported in and thus cost more but if everything ells is good there and you can afford the extra expenses than all the best to you, BTW, how's the ladies there? nice and approachable or like in Turkey?...

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

Personally, I don't feel the urge to deposit 800,000 baht so I can live in Thailand.  A zero deposit seems a better idea, with 20-year PR thrown in for free after 36 months.

you don't need to deposit 800k or prove 65k a month, i thought everyone knew that by now

• Confused 1

Just out of curiosity I compared cost of living in Bangkok with Port Louis in www.numbeo.com

Their calculations suggest that cost of living plus rent in Port Louis would be about 25% lower than Bangkok for the same standard of life. I know you have just moved to Mauritius and you might be living in some other areas than Port Louis but it would be interesting if you could update this thread at some point and comment if that sounds reasonable.

Edited by Jeff Olssson

Thanks for the update, you sure get around.

I always assumed Mauritius was expensive being a small island far off in the Indian ocean, I seem to have been wrong.

Think one could easily get bored with life there on that Island so one day we may see that you have moved back to Thailand when travel and entry are once again easier.

Think there is nowhere on earth which could match the specialties Thailand has to offer.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I just checked the items on my shopping bill from yesterday.  This was in a typical 'western' supermarket.

4 Greek yogurt pack - 100 baht

nut mix - 190 baht (always expensive in any country!)

fresh cranberry juice, big bottle - 68 baht

imported seedless grapes - 150 baht

Almond milk, small bottle - 15 baht

oat crackers - 74 baht

(Off-topic, but it would be interesting to see what others buy in their daily shopping!).

Now, whether or not that food is expensive really doesn't matter to me!  The overall cost is miniscule out of my budget.  When Numbeo compares the cost of living in different locations, there are many items that I simply don't use.  I don't buy a house and I don't use public transport.  I don't drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes etc.  My main monthly expenses are to rent a house with swimming pool (18,000 baht), rent a 4-wheel drive jeep (12,000 baht) and my medical insurance 8.000 baht).  I can live happily on $1,500 a month or less, and $1,500 is what I have to bring into my local bank account each month to qualify for my retirement or digital nomad visa.

Agree, it is what it is and you have no control of it.I think accessability to those things is more important than a price variation , within your budget obviously ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great reporting, @simon43. Wow, you found cranberry juice: Langers/Ocean Spray/Ligo? Good price! Beats Thailand. Did you see V8 vegetable juice? I miss V8, which has gone missing in Thailand for over half a year.

I'd appreciate a check into the price of ciggies (Camel/Mevius), beer 330ml (imported, I assume) and Irish whiskey (Jameson). Do they have the usual small convenience shops, a.k.a., 7-11 and such? Thanks muchly!

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

17 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Aspergillosis is a fungal infection of usually the lungs,[1] caused by the genus Aspergillus, a common mold that is breathed in frequently from the air around, but does not usually affect most people.[2][3] It generally occurs in people with lung diseases such as asthma, cystic fibrosis or tuberculosis, or those who have had a stem cell or organ transplant, and those who cannot fight infection because of medications they take such as steroids and some cancer treatments.

Why would this be a problem in Turkey and not in Africa?

It's the vicious cold that is the problem.

Thankyou for the information, @simon, and congratulation for leaving Erdoghan's dictatorshipt for a better political system.

A few questions:

1. Are you living in Port Louis?

2. Do you "feel" that the island is very populated (+600/km2)?

3. You say you're living on 1.500 USD. After you paid rent, car and insurance, there's not much left. Do you want and can you really live on around 11k THB?

4. You need to transfer 1500USD/month. Must that be monthly or is the requirement 18k/year?

5. How about the language? Is French common? I read Morisyen is based on French. So would you be able to understand and communicate whne speaking it? And how about English?

6. Is fast and stable internet available where you're living?

Edited by JustAnotherHun