Family member tested positive for covid.

thaiden1

1 hour ago, thaiden1 said:

the hospital phones and tells you to quarantine for 14 days, is is mandatory?

I wouldn't risk getting caught outside, the aftermath could be costly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ecline said:

I just tested positive with the Omicron variant. I must have imported it from the USA as my wife and I just returned from there last week. I am in home isolation for 10 days and my wife has been told also to self quarantine for 14 days. We are both double-vaxxed. Vaccination status is irrelevant. The quarantine is mandatory and there are consequences if you don't abide by their rules. At some point they will come to your home with paperwork for you to fill out.

Also, after testing positive, I tested myself three times with the drug-store ATK tests. All of them showed negative. Now that could mean I had a false-positive PCR test. But the US FDA announced last month that the home ATK tests may not show a positive result for people infected with the Omicron variant. I have no idea if that is the case or not, but my three tests all showed negative and two PCR tests show me as positive. FWIW.

With Omicron the test is more accurate if you include a throat swab.

Why aren’t you in a Thai hospital? If you tested positive on your entry return? Did you test negative on your departure PCR?

hard to follow your timeline….I do question these PCR arrival positives after testing negative….great gov financial incentive to show positive results and bill insurance/passengers…

wish they had blind third party testing to validate results 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ecline said:

I just tested positive with the Omicron variant. I must have imported it from the USA as my wife and I just returned from there last week. I am in home isolation for 10 days and my wife has been told also to self quarantine for 14 days. We are both double-vaxxed. Vaccination status is irrelevant. The quarantine is mandatory and there are consequences if you don't abide by their rules. At some point they will come to your home with paperwork for you to fill out.

Also, after testing positive, I tested myself three times with the drug-store ATK tests. All of them showed negative. Now that could mean I had a false-positive PCR test. But the US FDA announced last month that the home ATK tests may not show a positive result for people infected with the Omicron variant. I have no idea if that is the case or not, but my three tests all showed negative and two PCR tests show me as positive. FWIW.

Some Lateral Flow Tests (Antigen Test Kits - ATK) are more effective at detecting viral proteins which are specifically targeted... i.e. they rely on ‘gene targeted antibodies’....    other Lateral Flow Tests Kits do not. 

Thus: in detecting Omicron it is important to use an ATK which is known to identify the Omicron variant, meanwhile RT-PCR testing remains the ‘gold standard’.

IF testing Positive with an RT-PCR test, it may well be worth securing a follow up second test to ensure the validity of the result and eradicate the ‘false positive’ possibility. 

Additionally, as the Omicron Variant of Covid-19 is considered an ‘upper respiratory tract infection’ there is a higher probability of collecting viral RNA from a throat swab. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
4 hours ago, thaiden1 said:

When a family member tests positive for covid and the hospital phones and tells you to quarantine for 14 days, is is mandatory? I am double vaxed and doing APK tests that are negative.

If the hospital has told you to quarantine then best to follow their advice.

Vaccination and ATK tests means nothing.

You're are supposed to be quarantined for observation purposes.. not wandering around.

IF the family member is your Wife, Child or anyone else you live with in your household - then of course, isolate. 

But, IF the family member is someone from outside of your household with whom you have had no primary or secondary (i.e. via your wife) exposure, then the advice to isolate would be overkill. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AwwYesNice1 said:
23 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

How long have you been a virologist ?

Clearly nowhere near as long as yo have been a ‘smart-ar.se’....    Well practiced and excelling !!!!  ????????????

Paradise Pete is correct - as the Omicron variant of Covid-19 is considered an upper respiratory tract infection it is now widely known that a throat swab is more likely to collect viral RNA than a self administered nasal swab. 

[That said: this is considered the most contagious virus on earth - wouldn’t waving a swab in the air in-front of an infected person not collect the virus...  - silly and rhetorical question].

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Correct as stated by the experts. The Omicron replicates far quicker in the throat in the first 3 days of infection and so a throat swab or saliva is the best method for ATK.

The PCR test may be showing a false positive as its far more sensitive and can pick up old virus particles but this does not mean you are infectious.

And there it goes the "protection of others by vaccination"-fairytale...

Fauci, not really known as an anti-vaxxer or conspiracy theorist said today:

Omicron variant will "find just about everybody"

Hopefully in the near future even the hardest of the hardcore Vaxxiban will understand that vaccines protect yourself, not others. Then hopefully the brighter ones will stop using the unvaccinated people as target for their hate and as scapegoats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Clearly nowhere near as long as yo have been a ‘smart-ar.se’....    Well practiced and excelling !!!!  ????????????

Paradise Pete is correct - as the Omicron variant of Covid-19 is considered an upper respiratory tract infection it is now widely known that a throat swab is more likely to collect viral RNA than a self administered nasal swab. 

image (2).jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ecline said:

Aside from the testing etc, how do you feel....fever, sore throat, aches? Anyway, hope you recover quickly, another double-vaxed chap I know got over it in less than 5 days with just a sore throat.

57 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

ATK tests are not reliable, above all if you are vaccinated, complete waste of time and money for everybody

except for the labs, obviously

Are Labs involved in ATK tests?

29 minutes ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

Are you suggesting that only a virologist is capable of consuming factual information and drawing a balanced opinion on the spread of SARS-CoV-2 ??

With a strong background in the sciences many of us are capable of first identifying reliable sources of information and then consuming and assimilating from those sources. 

We are also capable of filtering out utter rubbish which sounds good, but really is fundamentally flawed... 

Do you need to be a virologist to understand that the SARS-CoV-2 virus us contagious, or are you capable to understanding that from the reliable sources you have read ?

Do you need to be a Geologist to understand plate-tectonics ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you suggesting that only a virologist is capable of consuming factual information and drawing a balanced opinion on the spread of SARS-CoV-2 ??

With a strong background in the sciences many of us are capable of first identifying reliable sources of information and then consuming and assimilating from those sources. 

We are also capable of filtering out utter rubbish which sounds good, but really is fundamentally flawed... 

Do you need to be a virologist to understand that the SARS-CoV-2 virus us contagious, or are you capable to understanding that from the reliable sources you have read ?

Do you need to be a Geologist to understand plate-tectonics ?

"

It was so easy then never takin' any stands
It was so easy then, holdin' hands

I remember a time when our fears could be named
And courage meant not refusing dares
I remember when we took such cares to step never on the cracks,
No only on the squares
Or else we'd be abducted by the bears"

Carly Simon

9 hours ago, transam said:

You can still catch it being vaxed....

you should see in Patong all the barflies running around like they are bulletproof, I already know of 2 positve..

once self isolated, now neg but still isolating, the other positive and dating......  another moth will see the spreading soar since the HNE cheers...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

"

It was so easy then never takin' any stands
It was so easy then, holdin' hands

I remember a time when our fears could be named
And courage meant not refusing dares
I remember when we took such cares to step never on the cracks,
No only on the squares
Or else we'd be abducted by the bears"

Carly Simon

Jethro Tull "Aqualung" reference name and avatar quoting Carly Simon. Nice contradiction. ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thaiden1 said:

When a family member tests positive for covid and the hospital phones and tells you to quarantine for 14 days, is is mandatory? I am double vaxed and doing APK tests that are negative.

So, the hospital phones and asks you to help them protect the nation and it's people from an, as yet, still developing virus that has caused death and destruction by simply relaxing in your own home for a week or 2 out of your life and you're asking how to go about violating that trust? 

Does that about sum up your post? ????

To answer your question about isolating, the answer is yes.  The school I am involved with had a teacher test positive.  Everyone around him was told to isolate and since they share housing, they are to remain in their room.  Personnel from the health department made a visit to the school to review protocols and also to visit those in quarantine.  

I suspect they would have big problems if they weren't home ... or in a hospital.  

On 1/12/2022 at 3:29 PM, Paradise Pete said:

That's correct. On my 2nd and 3rd tests I included a throat swab, but they still came back negative.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:26 PM, mark5335 said:

Aside from the testing etc, how do you feel....fever, sore throat, aches? Anyway, hope you recover quickly, another double-vaxed chap I know got over it in less than 5 days with just a sore throat.

I had barely any symptoms at all. A slight cough for a day and sniffles and some minor aches and pains for a day. Normally I would have gone to the office feeling like that, but obviously not these days.

• Like 2