What bank account should I try to get?

noodleslayer

I'm in Bang Khae and I want to get a bank account. Currently on tourist visa, about to get a covid extension and then register for a 1 year ED visa. I've read that its a lot easier to get a bank account on an ED visa than a tourist visa, is this correct? If so, I will wait.

Anyways, the banks I'm familiar with are Krungsri, Bangkok bank and Kasikorn Bank. I know nothing about any of them though, what is the best bank for farangs? Is there a list somewhere that shows the difference between the Thai banks? I would prefer the bank with less fees and the best customer support.

11 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Best Bank is the one who will allow you to open A/c.

Get an address certificate from I.O. before going to hunt for accounts.

Currently I'm living in airbnbs for a month at a time, would it be possible to get a bank account while moving around once a month? Or would I need to get on a 1 year lease before a bank lets me open an account?

13 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

Currently I'm living in airbnbs for a month at a time, would it be possible to get a bank account while moving around once a month? Or would I need to get on a 1 year lease before a bank lets me open an account?

If you have Thai GF then its quite easy.

Some IO require 90 day report, which I guess you wont have, Right?

This is the list from Bangkok Immigration -

People requiring a residence/address certificate (proof of residence) can get this at the immigration office.

This certificate is required when the address has to confirmed at a Thai government agency, for example obtaining a Thai Driving License or buying a car/scooter, opening bank account.

Prerequisite are:

Up to date address registration (90 Day report)

Required papers:

Filled in TM30 form

Copies from following passport pages:

Photo page
Current visa/extension
Last entry stamp
TM6 departure card

Passport size picture.

Free if you wait for 2 weeks, Instant = THB 500/-

Edited by DrJoy

2 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

If you have Thai GF then its quite easy.

Some IO require 90 day report, which I guess you wont have, Right?

This is the list from Bangkok Immigration -

People requiring a residence/address certificate (proof of residence) can get this at the immigration office.

This certificate is required when the address has to confirmed at a Thai government agency, for example obtaining a Thai Driving License or buying a car/scooter, opening bank account.

Prerequisite are:

Up to date address registration (90 Day report)

Required papers:

Filled in TM30 form

Copies from following passport pages:

Photo page
Current visa/extension
Last entry stamp
TM6 departure card

Passport size picture.

I do have a thai gf, but we do not live together yet. Why does that make it easy?

And I've never been on a long term visa, I have to do 90 day reports on an ED visa right? I will be doing a 1 year course, I believe I have to extend it every 3 months, so that means I wouldn't have to report, right? Also, would proof of residence work while living at an airbnb condo for a month, or do I need to get my own 1 year lease?

3 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

I do have a thai gf, but we do not live together yet. Why does that make it easy?

And I've never been on a long term visa, I have to do 90 day reports on an ED visa right? I will be doing a 1 year course, I believe I have to extend it every 3 months, so that means I wouldn't have to report, right? Also, would proof of residence work while living at an airbnb condo for a month, or do I need to get my own 1 year lease?

They can copy you Gf's address from her ID card and make a certificate for you.

I have done this at MTT(Bangkok)

10 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

They can copy you Gf's address from her ID card and make a certificate for you.

I have done this at MTT(Bangkok)

Oh nice, so if she's willing to say I live at her address even if I'm not actually living with her, all I would need is to bring her and say I live at her residence, and with a tm30 form, and my passport + photo and photocopies?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noodleslayer said:

Oh nice, so if she's willing to say I live at her address even if I'm not actually living with her, all I would need is to bring her and say I live at her residence, and with a tm30 form, and my passport + photo and photocopies?

She needs to bring her Original Thai national Id card + Tabien Baan (Blue House Book) 

1 copy of each as well and her physical presence.

Other docs as I quoted above excluding the 90 day report.

Let her do the talking in Thai and you will be the proud owner of a residence/address cert.

I have done this in Bangkok with my then GF (now Wife)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Sorry to pitch in here but do you know how long they are valid for - Certificate of Res?

Not sure abt Banks harry but Transport Office accepts it for 30 days only for D.L., buy car & scooter.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

She needs to bring her Original Thai national Id card + Tabien Baan (Blue House Book) 

1 copy of each as well and her physical presence.

Other docs as I quoted above excluding the 90 day report.

Let her do the talking in Thai and you will be the proud owner of a residence/address cert.

I have done this in Bangkok with my then GF (now Wife)

Would she have a blue house book if she just rents a condo? And uh where do I go to get those residence certificate? Chaengwattana? I assume you're telling me to first go to Chaengwattana and get this certificate before bothering applying for a bank account?

3 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

Would she have a blue house book if she just rents a condo? And uh where do I go to get those residence certificate? Chaengwattana? I assume you're telling me to first go to Chaengwattana and get this certificate before bothering applying for a bank account?

Its Muang Thong Thani for people who reside in Bangkok, not Chaengwattana.

You can get an address cert from your Embassy as well.

Edited by DrJoy

2 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Its Muang Thong Thani for people who reside in Bangkok, not Chaengwattana.

You can get an address cert from your Embassy as well.

Can I get this address cert while living in an airbnb? Or can I get an address cert when I get my 1 year lease in a condo?

I assume you're telling me to first go to Chaengwattana and get this certificate before bothering applying for a bank account?

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

oh wow - interesting.

any idea what they charge for that? 

January 2020, it was 50 USD for US Embassy & 65 CAD for Canadian Embassy.

Not sure abt the prices, don't quote me on that????

• Like 1

Not sure why the discussion about resident certificates.

It comes down to the individual banks what they want, but in my experience (5 accounts with 3 banks, phuket, bkk and pattaya) no bank has ever wanted a Cert Of Res.

2 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

Can I get this address cert while living in an airbnb? Or can I get an address cert when I get my 1 year lease in a condo?

I assume you're telling me to first go to Chaengwattana and get this certificate before bothering applying for a bank account?

Yes you can with an airbnb.

The owner of the airbnb has to report your stay with the Immigration within 24 hours. Its called the TM38.

You take a copy of TM38 from your Landlord and then can get address cert

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It comes down to the individual banks what they want, but in my experience (5 accounts with 3 banks, phuket, bkk and pattaya) no bank has ever wanted a Cert Of Res.

Correct.

@noodleslayer Visit atleast 10 branches of different banks. Sure someone will say yes.

If not, make them greedy and say I will buy your expensive ATM card . The a/c gets magically opened.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I had to get one for a Kasikorn account once.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

When was the last time you opened a bank account?

I know when i opened mine you never needed one but that was 15++ years ago when life was easy here.

• Like 1

Actually the US Embassy does not have an address letter.

What's interesting abt the US Embassy is that they have a self sworn affidavit.

You can write I Mr. Harry Peters, an american citizen, hold US PP number this and my address in Thailand is xxxxx

I swear the above is true. The Embassy will stamp it as ' Seen at the US Embassy, Bangkok' or signature of Mr. Harry is verified.

All Thai Govt Departments including Banks , accept it happily.

Edited by DrJoy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

When was the last time you opened a bank account?

I know when i opened mine you never needed one but that was 15++ years ago when life was easy here.

18 months ago. I helped a friend only a couple of weeks ago and no Res Cert required. Most are more interested in a long stay visa.

Yes, the good old days. I still have an account in phuket that has me living at Noks Guest house.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

18 months ago. I helped a friend only a couple of weeks ago and no Res Cert required. Most are more interested in a long stay visa.

Yes, the good old days. I still have an account in phuket that has me living at Noks Guest house.

The first bank account i opened in Patong was with Thai Farmers, unfortunately long gone.

• Like 1