Test and Go unlikely to return until mid-year at the earliest, pre-registered Test and Go still valid

webfact

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's why it's called an opinion.  Opinion based on past quarantine, when nobody came out after 16 days still positive and able to transmit the virus.  When cases & clusters were easily manageable.

When something works, you might want to stick with it.  That's called common sense, no need for a link.  

Have a nice day .........

So you want to stay in the past and never move forward because you are scared or concerned about the well-being of others....well thats nice.  Enjoy living the life of someone who never moves forward even when the virus has mutated downward as seen in many countries, SA, the UK and a few others who are on the backside of the fast moving Omicron.  Family had Omicron in the US, Son was down for 7 days, while my daughter was down for 3, bot with minor symptoms much like a chest cold.  Not saying that thats the norm but the new view with studies done shows that 5 days or 7 days.  MIght want to look at the research and studies.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/29/world/coronavirus-newsletter-intl-29-12-21/index.html

Here is an article for you.

If you test positive for Covid-19, you'll be advised to isolate for anywhere from five days to two weeks. It all depends on where you live. 

The United States and the United Kingdom have slashed their recommended self-isolation periods for asymptomatic people -- and more countries may soon follow suit, as the highly transmissible Omicron variant threatens to keep hospital staff and other key workers at home.
In the US, people can now leave isolation if they don't have symptoms after five days, followed by five days in which they should wear a mask around others. Last week, the UK cut the period to seven days for people who produce two consecutive negative lateral flow tests.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Absolute disaster for small hospitality businesses who at least picked up a little income fron Test and Go.

Of course, like for bar and restaurant proprieters, not a single baht of Government aid.

Although am sorry for these people its being going on for 2 years you cant sit in a time warp if what you do is not viable then change to some that is no good waiting and moaning.

I spoke to an exbar girl she has been made supervisor in a very busy manufacturing plant.

I think some of the lost 20% tourism GBP will be made up in other businesses most adjust and adapt tourism may never be the mainstay of the economy any more lets face it, they where not great and it was inploding except in phunket and even then it was mafia taxi controlled

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you want to stay in the past and never move forward because you are scared or concerned about the well-being of others....well thats nice.  Enjoy living the life of someone who never moves forward even when the virus has mutated downward as seen in many countries, SA, the UK and a few others who are on the backside of the fast moving Omicron.  

If that's how you want to spin it  ... have fun with that.

Think I've stated, I've never missed a beat the whole past 2 yrs.  Been out & about, where ever, when ever I wanted.  Don't live in fear.

Don't think I can move any more forward (whatever that means) than I am in life.  Retired, and enjoy every day ... move forward to ....  ???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If that's how you want to spin it  ... have fun with that.

Think I've stated, I've never missed a beat the whole past 2 yrs.  Been out & about, where ever, when ever I wanted.  Don't live in fear.

Don't think I can move any more forward (whatever that means) than I am in life.  Retired, and enjoy every day ... move forward to ....  ???

If as you say you don't live in fear then what is the risk to you if Test N Go stays or quarantine is made into 5 or 7 days.....you insist on it being 16 as that is what you say worked in the past.  Time to move forward and not stay with past practices don't you think.  Anyway enjoy your day. Headed to bed, jet lag has run it's course and it is off to bed for me here in the good old USA.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If as you say you don't live in fear then what is the risk to you if Test N Go stays or quarantine is made into 5 or 7 days.....you insist on it being 16 as that is what you say worked in the past.  Time to move forward and not stay with past practices don't you think.  Anyway enjoy your day. Headed to bed, jet lag has run it's course and it is off to bed for me here in the good old USA.

Hold on ... you're not even in Thailand ????

I was and have been addressing the topic, not the risk to myself, as not the topic.  A discussion on entry policy, not me.

25 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Feed the thai people then. Tourists helps Thailand economically 

Raised one (orphan) from age 2, is that enough for you.  I'd take another, but I'm 67.  

She graduated Uni last May, and has own business & self employed.

Please ... troll elsewhere

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I just flew back to the US on Tuesday for some PB, I return in a few weeks, and yes on the TNG, as I live in Bangkok, but then you knew that already....

Not really, didn't click.  Back in USA ... yikes

Be Safe

42 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The United States and the United Kingdom have slashed their recommended self-isolation periods for asymptomatic people -- and more countries may soon follow suit, as the highly transmissible Omicron variant threatens to keep hospital staff and other key workers at home.
In the US, people can now leave isolation if they don't have symptoms after five days, followed by five days in which they should wear a mask around others. Last week, the UK cut the period to seven days for people who produce two consecutive negative lateral flow tests.

5-7 days is indeed the new standard for isolation for people with asymptomatic Omicron. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anton9 said:

I am not sure that's the reason,South Africa has vaccinates less than 30% of its population and deaths are still very low.

Demographics - they have a generally much much younger population, and some background immunity due to lack of vaccinations in the original waves,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

5-7 days is indeed the new standard for isolation for people with asymptomatic Omicron

for ... "The United States and the United Kingdom have slashed " ...

And, we're in thailand.  If feeling under the weather, you self test, doesn't tell you what variant you have.  If minor symptoms, are you actually going to test yourself, or go to the hospital to get tested, and risk a longer than you want, stay in a private hospital .... until they deem you safe to leave, probably after a negative test.  However long that will take.

No thanks.

If flying in and testing positive, no matter what variant .... off to the hospital.  Again .. THAILAND.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I did not say or imply that.  Although ignorant, arrogant, reckless locals, expats, immigrant workers & tourist (dom & int'l) certainly added to the problem / #s.

OP is about the T&G policy, or non 16 day quarantine.   That's what I'm addressing.  When having 16 day quarantine for all, clusters were manageable.  Without the 16 day quarantine, arriving  infections, and flat out stupid behavior of all, and the clusters were no longer manageable.

Lack of quarantine, or the failed Sandbox & T&G schemes were for developing an already crushed tourism economy, for the benefit of the very few still invested in it.  Nothing like feeding the fire.  Went from 3000+ deaths back in July, call it August, when Sandbox opened to now 20,000+ death.  Smart move.

To your early comment, since covid is not endemic, or wasn't 2 yrs ago, yes, tourism is to blame.  Now it's shared by all who act irresponsible.

And yet, I've been called irresponsible & selfish, more than a few times by more than a few members, because I'm not vax'd and went out & about.  Around the whole country a few times, matter of fact.  And yet, listening and following 'most' of the practical advice, from smarter people than myself, I didn't get or spread the virus.

BUT ... I simply practiced self distancing, without or with a mask when called for.   Didn't attend crowded events, didn't Q up or visit crowded restaurants, ate off hours (my norm anyway).

Simply practiced that very uncommon common sense.

Want to save lives and stop the spread ... 16 day quarantine for all arrivals.  International Tourism - DNR to safe to restart, develop domestic tourism in the meantime. 

A properly carried through and funded vaccination program would save more lives, and be far far less economically damaging than any amount of lockdowns and travel bans.

I have no problem with T+G, sandbox or under certain circumstances quarantine. They are needed I think to keep tabs on things until it is endemic. The Thaiger has a good post from its CEO today. Worth reading. This might be the beginning of the end with Omicron. But only once vaccination rates are high enough. Something which this country has singularly failed epically to do.

The circus of incompetence and xenophobia which foreigners and of course those in the Thai tourist industry have suffered under (who are nearly all SMEs and very small stakeholders whom the 'powers that be' don't give a fruit fly's f**t about) is beyond staggering belief.

Edited by BusyB

I don't think anyone is seriously thinking of entering Thailand, except for people that already live there. 

Let them quarantine for a month, at this point is makes very little difference, the tourist situation it is gone, dead.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

All the panic, the cancellation of test and go, and the final nail in the coffin of tourism. And for what? A mild variant? More cases and few deaths?

Is a dead economy and millions out of work long term, really worth avoiding some people getting sick? Such a sickening and paniced over reaction. 

This is NOT the Zombie Apocalypse! 

And yet, hospitalizations in the US are at an all time high, and the number of daily deaths are zooming past 2,000. I understand you may consider this data to be fear mongering, so you can continue to consider Omicron as just a cold. Handwave away data you don’t like at your own risk.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, garyk said:

I don't think anyone is seriously thinking of entering Thailand, except for people that already live there. 

Let them quarantine for a month, at this point is makes very little difference, the tourist situation it is gone, dead.

And yet tourists are streaming into Thailand as you write.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'll be one of them soon. I have been looking but not finding out what is the actual procedure now? Is it back to SHA hotels and if so, for how long?

I am in the same boat. I fled Thailand for the duration of the Omicron spike, and will return in a month or two when it subsides. My best guess is the Phuket Sandbox is the best choice, only 7 days long, no room confinement.

Just now, Danderman123 said:

I am in the same boat. I fled Thailand for the duration of the Omicron spike, and will return in a month or two when it subsides. My best guess is the Phuket Sandbox is the best choice, only 7 days long, no room confinement.

So, if direct to BKK or Pattaya then it's a 7 day quarantine in the loom? I see lots of websites about T&G still possible for people who already applied prior to December 22 but nothing about option for people applying next week or next month. I guess the best option is Phuket for the week then Pattaya.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I did not say or imply that.  Although ignorant, arrogant, reckless locals, expats, immigrant workers & tourist (dom & int'l) certainly added to the problem / #s.

OP is about the T&G policy, or non 16 day quarantine.   That's what I'm addressing.  When having 16 day quarantine for all, clusters were manageable.  Without the 16 day quarantine, arriving  infections, and flat out stupid behavior of all, and the clusters were no longer manageable.

Lack of quarantine, or the failed Sandbox & T&G schemes were for developing an already crushed tourism economy, for the benefit of the very few still invested in it.  Nothing like feeding the fire.  Went from 3000+ deaths back in July, call it August, when Sandbox opened to now 20,000+ death.  Smart move.

To your early comment, since covid is not endemic, or wasn't 2 yrs ago, yes, tourism is to blame.  Now it's shared by all who act irresponsible.

And yet, I've been called irresponsible & selfish, more than a few times by more than a few members, because I'm not vax'd and went out & about.  Around the whole country a few times, matter of fact.  And yet, listening and following 'most' of the practical advice, from smarter people than myself, I didn't get or spread the virus.

BUT ... I simply practiced self distancing, without or with a mask when called for.   Didn't attend crowded events, didn't Q up or visit crowded restaurants, ate off hours (my norm anyway).

Simply practiced that very uncommon common sense.

Want to save lives and stop the spread ... 16 day quarantine for all arrivals.  International Tourism - DNR to safe to restart, develop domestic tourism in the meantime. 

Yap yap. Good lord, what are you guys on? It went from 3k deaths to 20k because it had time to spread not necessarily because of the sandbox scheme. That is just convenient for people who want to apportion blame. 
You cannot stop it!!! Blaming this or that entity for bringing it in from air, from sea, from land, from space achieves nothing. Zero covid policies cannot stop it even if you shut borders forever and decimate your people. Stop T&G and back to 14 day quarantine? Just for the cheap seats, it won’t work as it’s already in. Shortsightedness and I’ll-thought policies will just delay the inevitable at greater cost. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stigar said:

Im laughing for myself when i see he arguments for those who want test and go..Its really funny.

I will laugh more if thay scrap covid extension.Then people must go back home!!!

I tend to laugh most when selfish folk get bit by karma. One of the most satisfying things in life. It always come around. ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's why it's called an opinion.  Opinion based on past quarantine, when nobody came out after 16 days still positive and able to transmit the virus.  When cases & clusters were easily manageable.

When something works, you might want to stick with it.  That's called common sense, no need for a link.  

Have a nice day .........

If the world was run by people that just implement their "opinions" we would still be living in a cave.

Although by the looks of it your getting as close to doing that in Thailand anyway.

You seem to want Thailand to implement your discredited, uneducated, unscientific and nonsensical "opinions".

I hope your adopted child was not home schooled because you seem to believe in a medieval approach to fact based modern science.

"When something works, you want to stick to it" would have us still travelling around in horse and carts.

Maybe you might actually think about what you type because your making a complete fool of yourself.

10 hours ago, Anton9 said:

I am not sure that's the reason,South Africa has vaccinates less than 30% of its population and deaths are still very low.

I don't know how much difference it makes but the average age in South Africa is much lower than the UK or Thailand. Under 30 in SA and just over 40 in UK and Thailand.

1 minute ago, Twin Peaks said:

So let me get this straight. If I booked multiple T&G trips prior to the December 22nd cut off I would be considered "safe" under T&G but if I wanted to apply today I am not longer "safe" and need 7 days in hotel jail. This is where logic fails.

The logic is pretty obvious. They don't want to inconvenience people who have put their money down. The rest can take the risk or defer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

All the panic, the cancellation of test and go, and the final nail in the coffin of tourism. And for what? A mild variant? More cases and few deaths?

Is a dead economy and millions out of work long term, really worth avoiding some people getting sick? Such a sickening and paniced over reaction. 

This is NOT the Zombie Apocalypse! 

1ad5a745d3ee50c77ee280e2082f216f.jpg

I think it's hospitalisations that are the biggest problem with Omicron although obviously nobody wants people to die. More people in hospital with staff off sick will cause problems across all areas of medical centres.

I'm waiting to to return to Thailand after 16 months and with health issues that would make Test & Go a much easier option. At this stage with Omicron in the population already however it got here this may be a bit late. I doubt it was just through tourists or airports for that matter. There are ways into the country that are less policed than airports. Even though I have doubts about the wisdom of the current measures at this time I'm happy to give it a little time but making predictions into the middle of the year is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The logic is pretty obvious. They don't want to inconvenience people who have put their money down. The rest can take the risk or defer.

I think you are missing my point. If I booked, let's say 4 T&G trips and received QR codes for all trips before December 22nd I am less dangerous of infecting others than if I booked T&G 2 weeks before my flight? 3 PCR tests in 8 - 9 days seems adequate to show I'm not infecting others.

I've already had covid twice and I'm still alive. It's time for the world to learn to live with this!