#1 reason to own a Benz

pedro01

1 hour ago, alextrat1966 said:

Ok, let’s talk engineering. 

When the Japanese car industry started developing, people in the US hated them. Now they’re everywhere in the US.

Back then Japanese cars were extremely unsafe, nowadays they’re fine.

But one should not forget who patented the most important safety systems in cars: 

* Airbag 1981 - Mercedes-Benz 

* ABS 1978 - Mercedes-Benz 

* ESP (Traction Control) 1995 - Mercedes-Benz

* Crumple Zones 1959 - Mercedes-Benz

These are some of the most critical systemswhen it comes to safety, and they were all engineered  and patented by Daimler AG(company which owns the Mercedes-Benz brand).

Not by the Japanese. The Japanese just used to it to make their cars safer. Just copy cats.

The auto industry is highly competitive. It doesn't matter what useful innovation developed by whom, it is usually copied by other brands within 6-12 months.

The Japanese brands were garbage, until they imported ( ironically from America ) a quality expert called W. Edwards Deming. It was not long after that the Japanese imports started killing the US carmakers on build quality and fuel economy. Nowadays, the Koreans talk about those lazy Japanese.

Your loyalty to the Benz brand is admirable. Here's another point of view, by an independent motoring journalist in Australia, John Cadogan. He refers to the Mercedes insignia as the three-pointed suppository.

He has a large YouTube following around the world, a qualified engineer renowned for no BS.

I won't post the links, they will probably be deleted. Instead, just go into YouTube and see how many videos he has posted on Mercedes by putting "John Cadogan Mercedes" in the search function.

He has never been sued by Mercedes for defamation. That's because unlike Thailand, the truth is a valid defense in Australia.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 10:59 PM, chickenslegs said:

If I had the means to buy a Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus (which I don't) I'd buy a Volvo.

1969 forest green Volvo was the second worst car I ever owned.   First sign of snow it  went on holiday.

A decade later I owned a Honda 600 which weighed around 400 kilos.    ????

Edited by In Full Agreement

17 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

The new C-Class is the best value for money you can get on that sector. Provided that they have pretty much copied 1:1 the interior of the S-Class. It's amazing: 

image.png.ac45af4e4288fefbdc5ea000f92a030d.png

When it comes to cars like A-Class or B-Class, if it's the cheapest models, those with the small displacement engines (A200, B200), I agree there may be better choices in some Japanese cars (even if the quality isn't as good, the japs may be better money for value). 

But then you have cars like the A35 AMG, A45 AMG, A45 AMG S 4 Matic. No jap car could even come close to those on performance: 

image.png.129523dde14e13b93a12bf3510a836f6.png

These babies have got close to 500hp, out of a 4 cylinder power unit, that's simply crazy! The level of engineering that has gone into that, and the price is on point too!

very nice

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The auto industry is highly competitive. It doesn't matter what useful innovation developed by whom, it is usually copied by other brands within 6-12 months.

Maybe it doesn’t matter to you, but as an engineer myself (albeit not related to cars). I value a lot those who came up with the idea and patented it. And discredit a lot the copycats that just make use of somebody’s else invention instead of at least trying to improve it. 

Had Mercedes not patented things like the Airbags or crumple zones, would Toyota, Honda, etc have done it? 

They seem to be focused on patenting R&D stuff while copying others Safety inventions. Crappy behavior if you ask me. 

17 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

I could have bought a simple Toyota Highlander here.  If has as much room and does what my BMW X5 does.  To get the same features (almost) of my BKW would have cost $45K.  My BMW (which had some ridiculous features I didn't need or want such as a $5k special paint color) was $85K.  So I could have saved $40K.  All I know is if I had bought the Toyota I know every time I got in the thing I'd have been disappointed in the acceleration, handling, sound system, cabin quality, and materials.  It was worth that $40k TO ME to have the creature comforts difference.

But here in Thailand, that Highlander (if it was sold here) would still be $45k whereas a comparably equipped X5 would run $150k and you wouldn’t retain even close to the same percentage upon sale as there isn’t as much of a middle class that can afford second hand BMWs vs second hand Toyotas.

28 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

all diesels

I would have a second thought at that. The low end torque of diesels is impressive! (acceleration). 

I wish Merc would sell more diesel vehicles in Thailand. 

A friend of mine has got a S350 Bluetec Diesel, the V6 OM642 engine, tuned to 365 HP and an impressive 730Nm of torque!! 

For comparisons my Mercedes E63 AMG with the M156 V8 petrol engine, stock makes 622 HP and 650Nm of torque. 

Now, obviously my E63 is crazily fast and even when you floor it at 200kph, it just pulls no matter how high the speed. 

But my friends S350 diesel, when you floor it at low speeds, it pushes you towards your seat so violently it’s impressive!!! That’s what I love about diesel.

Edited by alextrat1966
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

I would have a second thought at that. The low end torque of diesels is impressive! (acceleration). 

A friend of mine has got a S350 Bluetec Diesel, the V6 OM642 engine, tuned to 365 HP and an impressive 730Nm of torque!! 

For comparisons my Mercedes E63 AMG with the M156 V8 petrol engine, stock makes 622 HP and 650Nm of torque. 

Now, obviously my E63 is crazily fast and even when you floor it at 200kph, it just pulls no matter how high the speed. 

But my friends S350 diesel, when you floor it at low speeds, it pushes you towards your seat so violently it’s impressive!!! That’s what I love about diesel.

I am hoping you have only done this on a track with no other traffic.

Thai roadsd at that speed even on freeway , is down right dangerous for others

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am hoping you have only done this on a track with no other traffic.

Thai roadsd at that speed even on freeway , is down right dangerous for others

No, my friends S350 is in Europe, sadly not here in Thailand. So we've never had a drag race, lol.

But yes, I've driven over 200kph when the conditions(road & weather) allow for it here in Thailand. Don Muang Tollway is quite expensive and so it is often empty. Without many curves, mostly straight line, that expressway is a dream.  

Not dangerous at all, you just gotta know when and where the conditions allow to safely do that. Don't be like those pick ups which pass you on the shoulder pushing 160 weaving through heavy traffic. 

Edited by alextrat1966
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alextrat1966 said:

I should clarify, most diesels available in Thailand.

Obvs some of the sportier German diesels will be quicker, no doubt about that.

10 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I should clarify, most diesels available in Thailand.

Obvs some of the sportier German diesels will be quicker, no doubt about that.

Hell yeah, you will not lack power with an A200. 

Not to mention that Mercedes engines are so good you could tune your A200 to well over 200hp without much effort! 

7 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

1969 forest green Volvo was the second worst car I ever owned.   First sign of snow it  went on holiday.

A decade later I owned a Honda 600 which weighed around 400 kilos.    ????

LoL.

I remember the days when cars wouldnt start in the cold. Having to pull out the choke. Horrific.

Mind you, the cold alone was horrific. I dont miss either...

On 1/30/2022 at 11:42 AM, Lacessit said:

Here is a question for the Mercedes mavens:

Let's say you have bought one of the top line Mercs, S class or whatever. It costs you 6 million baht.

Now take a Mazda 2, which IMO is a brilliant small car. Responsive, agile, dead easy to park in a city. 600,000 baht.  So the Mercedes is ten times the price.

Is the Mercedes really ten times better?

Is your steak 37.5 times better than your cheese sandwich?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Airalee said:

But here in Thailand, that Highlander (if it was sold here) would still be $45k whereas a comparably equipped X5 would run $150k and you wouldn’t retain even close to the same percentage upon sale as there isn’t as much of a middle class that can afford second hand BMWs vs second hand Toyotas.

I mentioned earlier in the thread I wouldn't buy one in Thailand for that reason AND because the roads chew up cars.  Barring really bad luck here my X5 will look and run like new 5 years from now here.  With the roads there I thin one would be in a body shop multiple times plus suspension work done.

• Like 1