#1 reason to own a Benz

pedro01

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Usually, people who don't play golf because they think it's a waste of money and time would be incompetent at it, that's a given.

image.png.6bfefb2eb70b286709768553ea37537c.png

Provided I've never played golf in my life, the odd thing would be that I was competent at it ????

If I put the money, time and interest it takes to learn golf, sooner or later I'd get there. But my interest for golf is just about the same as yours for Mercedes ????

5 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

If that wasn't the case, why would there be so many German cars in Thailand anyway?

Mostly driven by Thais? Well, German cars still have a good reputation worldwide and the more wealthy Thai usually likes to show his wealth. I can understand if a Thai is impressed by one who drives a Benz or so. If a western man does, I find it laughable,.

By the way, my private room mate in Germany drives Benz ????

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Mostly driven by Thais? Well, German cars still have a good reputation worldwide and the more wealthy Thai usually likes to show his wealth. I can understand if a Thai is impressed by one who drives a Benz or so. If a western man does, I find it laughable,.

By the way, my private room mate in Germany drives Benz ????

You still can't understand that there are many reasons to drive a Mercedes other than showing off your wealth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

You still can't understand that there are many reasons to drive a Mercedes other than showing off your wealth. 

In Thailand and for Thais? Sure many for many of them it's a way to show there wealth.

In Europe? No. These times are long gone. With a Benz or a BMW you impress no one anymore there, at least not in Germany.

If one wants to drive such a car here, why not? I would not and I wrote why..

But it's ridiculous to claim, that if one does not want a Benz in Thailand, he does not have the funds to buy one.

Only forum- millionaires and oteher wannabes can think so.

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

But it's ridiculous to claim, that if one does not want a Benz in Thailand, he does not have the funds to buy one.

Only forum- millionaires and oteher wannabes can think so.

All we say is that those who claim they don't buy a Mercedes because it's a waste of money, or because they are more expensive in Thailand, is because they don't have enough funds. 

Everything is relative, if buying a Mercedes means disposing of half of your liquid assets, the sure, there are better alternatives that better suit your financial conditions. If you however make in one month as much as a brand new Mercedes costs, you won't even worry about that much money, it's almost insignificant. 

Edited by alextrat1966

7 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

image.png.6bfefb2eb70b286709768553ea37537c.png

Provided I've never played golf in my life, the odd thing would be that I was competent at it ????

If I put the money, time and interest it takes to learn golf, sooner or later I'd get there. But my interest for golf is just about the same as yours for Mercedes ????

Too late. One has to start at age ten or less to win championships later on. You would be incapable of training muscle memory or developing the necessary flexibility to that level at your age. Then there is the mental side. No amount of money can buy anyone a good golf game, and there's only frustration if it is played poorly.

Golf is a metaphor for life, it tests character, patience, concentration and resolve.

One of my measures of success in life is how I have done in my 65 years of playing golf. One of your measures is being able to drive a Mercedes. Each to his own.

3 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

All we say is that those who claim they don't buy a Mercedes because it's a waste of money, or because they are more expensive in Thailand, is because they don't have enough funds. 

So according to that I don't have the funds, forum millionaire? OK, so be it :-))

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

You would be incapable of training muscle memory or developing the necessary flexibility to that level at your age

At my age? I haven't reach my mid 20s, LOL. 

I wouldn't become as good as to win golf tournaments. But with a lot of practice I would surely get good enough to play casually and probably even beat you :P. 

I don't measure success in owning a Mercedes, far from it. 

2 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

At my age? I haven't reach my mid 20s, LOL. 

I wouldn't become as good as to win golf tournaments. But with a lot of practice I would surely get good enough to play casually and probably even beat you :P. 

I don't measure success in owning a Mercedes, far from it. 

Of course you would, I am 78 yo. Duh. Although if you were to play off the blacks while I played off the reds, it might not be as easy as you think.

But you would never experience the "in the zone" feelings I have had in winning championships. While I have never tried illicit drugs, I imagine the natural high is like that.

Even at 20 yo, it's too late.

BTW, the most highly paid athlete in sporting history is Michael Jordan. Second, third and fourth spots are filled by golfers - Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. I doubt they or their sponsors regard golf as a waste of time and money, neither do 440 million golfers.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Of course you would, I am 78 yo. Duh. Although if you were to play off the blacks while I played off the reds, it might not be as easy as you think.

But you would never experience the "in the zone" feelings I have had in winning championships. While I have never tried illicit drugs, I imagine the natural high is like that.

Even at 20 yo, it's too late.

BTW, the most highly paid athlete in sporting history is Michael Jordan. Second, third and fourth spots are filled by golfers - Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. I doubt they or their sponsors regard golf as a waste of time and money, neither do 440 million golfers.

You are too young to play off the reds…I’m a year or so younger than you and still use yellows.. Mrs J didn’t start playing until she was 48…she is 66now. Not unknown for her to shoot 12 over. Only way that I can beat her is to get her off same tees… even then she would more often than not win…..55555

Our monthly golfing bill is more that the annual service on her car…..by far 

14 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

You are too young to play off the reds…I’m a year or so younger than you and still use yellows.. Mrs J didn’t start playing until she was 48…she is 66now. Not unknown for her to shoot 12 over. Only way that I can beat her is to get her off same tees… even then she would more often than not win…..55555

Our monthly golfing bill is more that the annual service on her car…..by far 

I play golf to enjoy it now. To me, there is no point in playing off the whites if I am going to do nothing but hit 3-woods for my second or even third shot all the time. Boring.

I can break 40 around the shorter nines about 50% of the time. My aim is to break my age, have equaled it a couple of times.

I play at least once a week with a Thai couple. He's 83, she is a very sprightly 81 yo. About 20% of the time, she will succeed in outdriving me, which brings a big smile to her face. Long swing arc. She's working on beating me off the stick, unsuccessful thus far.

When I owned the Merc, the service bills were a lot more than I was paying for my golf. One invoice would have paid for six months'worth of caddies.

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I play golf to enjoy it now. To me, there is no point in playing off the whites if I am going to do nothing but hit 3-woods for my second or even third shot all the time. Boring.

I can break 40 around the shorter nines about 50% of the time. My aim is to break my age, have equaled it a couple of times.

I play at least once a week with a Thai couple. He's 83, she is a very sprightly 81 yo. About 20% of the time, she will succeed in outdriving me, which brings a big smile to her face. Long swing arc. She's working on beating me off the stick, unsuccessful thus far.

When I owned the Merc, the service bills were a lot more than I was paying for my golf. One invoice would have paid for six months'worth of caddies.

My post wasn’t 100% serious BUT where we play caddy fee is 350, the tip between that and 400 so as a minimum 1400thb each time we play… then ‘the odd!!’ ball  in the water … then breakfast… 20km drive each way … all that repeated usually two and sometimes three times a week adds up 

Anyway let’s get back to the main point of this topic… tks guys

On 1/23/2022 at 10:10 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

I see a Garrett turbo which pushes out 163bhp stock, more than enough to see off all coal-rolling pickups, SUV derivatives, Camrys and most other vehicles on Thai roads, which is good enough for me. 

I now also have a 718 Cayman S in the garage, but the A-class is my daily driver. 

It's funny, but nobody tries to race the Porsche, but they will all have a go at the Benz, and nearly always end up embarrassed if I give it a squirt. 

A Kia Stinger will leave you in the dust.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Benz or BMW, I see no reason to buy a German car in Thailand. Too expensive, waiting for spare parts and outside the big cities very few service stations.

In Germany we used BMW as company cars and hat too much troubles with them over the years. We switched to Audi.

In Thailand I drive Hondas and am happy with them.

I drive BMW in the states.  I like mid size SUVs and had several choices in that range for luxury and yes, I do like the blessed mother of acceleration.

Mercedes GLE - this was my preference.  Interior surpasses all the others.  Problem was the standard engine in these is a 4 cylinder.  Yeah, a modern engine and it is adequate.  That's the word.  Adequate.  I could not find the upgraded version with a 6 cylinder. 

Lexus - either an old tech body on frame for more money or a weak assed slightly smaller vehicle.  And ALL of them lacked any driving cred.  Like hugging your grandmom.

Ford - that new Explorer is kick ass.  Pity they can't make a decent interior.

Chevy - nope.  Just nope.

Audi - came in second.  Dealer had ZERO inventory.  Bought the wife unit a Q3.  Really nice and solid car.

BMW - X5 with the standard 6 cylinder kicks ass and mine had the interior upgrade.  Close to the Mercedes quality. 

For those that think buying these cars is only for "cachet" I don't see it.  I do not feel special because I drive a BMW.  Mine isn't that expensive (to me). 

If Honda or Toyota made cars that drove like my X5 and had interiors as nice I'd be happy to save the $20-40K.  I don't care what anyone thinks about me driving down the road.

And like the Hun if I lived in Thailand where parts and service are compromised I would not own it.  I'd own a Toyota or Honda. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

One who thinks a BMW or Benz is the proof to be rich is just a wannabe.

Enjoy your ignorance, it's funny ????

Just because you cannot afford one - doesn't mean only the rich can. 

On 1/26/2022 at 4:50 PM, alextrat1966 said:

No, but if you had in your bank as much as 15 brand new Mercedes cost, you would surely buy one of the "premium" brands (not necessarily Mercedes, but maybe BMW, Porsche, Maserati, Audi, whatever).

Exactly - these people are basically imagining a state where they can just about afford a Benz/BMW - in that case - I would agree. 

But if you could buy one a month and buy one every 3 years - different thing. But a hard thing for an employed person to grasp.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I guess you've never heard of a Nissan GTR. Or the Toyota offshoot, Lexus. Just as luxurious as any of the Germans.

Toyota outsells Mercedes and BMW combined two to one worldwide. There's a reason for that, reliability.

Who are you trying to kid? A Mercedes 200C is just another sedan in Europe, they are used as taxis.

These secondhand Toyotas are imported into Myanmar after two years in Japan. I really doubt the owners would agree with your description of Toyota crappy. Big, solid, comfortable, and quiet.

IMG20181116110826.jpg

Lexus are more expensive than Benz/BMW and full of plastic.

As for Toyota - there is absolutely no comparison between a Camry (steers like a fish) and a 5-Series (sticks to the road).

As for Benz being used as taxis in Europe - correct - comfort, style, and they will run forever if looked after.  They chose the right car for sure. It's a credit to Benz.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

This really has turned into a dick swinging competition, and is little or nothing to do with relative pros or cons of either car.

Put em back in yr undies fellas.

Indeed, some people get so jealous when you defend Mercedes, that they need to start boasting about their golf, pmsl. 

Worth mentioning also that the majority of Mercedes models are pretty affordable and hardly more expensive than the Toyotas they love so much. Yet one still has to put up with them calling you "forum millionaire", lmao. People here think Mercedes = showing off. Jealousy at it's best.

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2022 at 7:14 PM, alextrat1966 said:

Everything is relative, if buying a Mercedes means disposing of half of your liquid assets, the sure, there are better alternatives that better suit your financial conditions. If you however make in one month as much as a brand new Mercedes costs, you won't even worry about that much money, it's almost insignificant. 

The vast majority of Thais who have a benz most certainly do NOT earn 3-4M a month. If they did, they wouldn't be living in my village lol. My wife certainly earns enough to pay off a European car (with no help from me) but chooses to drive a small Japanese ecocar. 

21 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The vast majority of Thais who have a benz most certainly do NOT earn 3-4M a month. If they did, they wouldn't be living in my village lol. My wife certainly earns enough to pay off a European car (with no help from me) but chooses to drive a small Japanese ecocar. 

I highly doubt the vast majority of Thais who own a Mercedes live in your village.

17 hours ago, G Rex said:

I ‘got over it’ and bought a 7 year old 911 - and it was one of my better decisions!  I smile from ear to ear every time I start it - and driving …. the handling and responsiveness is sublime.  I chose to do get something I would enjoy. I do not need or want to impress anyone else.

So - judging people by their choice of car is unnecessary and all too often a sign of jealousy…

How are you able to drive this car here? According to the many experts, it's impossible to find replacements for such cars here in Thailand ????????????

Not to mention that you're out there driving your 911 showing off your wealth, how dare you do that! ????

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

How are you able to drive this car here? According to the many experts, it's impossible to find replacements for such cars here in Thailand ????????????

I know - taking a huge risk I know.  If something breaks I will just have to throw car away I suppose ????

• Haha 2