#1 reason to own a Benz

pedro01

20 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Just did a service at MB on the A-Class. 12k all up include top-up of all fluids (windscreen washer fluid 290thb) and that included oil change and air filter replacement. 

Yeah but people that dont have one say they are more expensive than that because they heard somebody paid more once.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:40 AM, jimmybcool said:

My 2021 X5 is covered free for the first 3 years.  After that I have a certified non-dealer mechanic for all work I want done.

What does <deleted> me off is the stupid system tells you it needs service at specific time intervals as well as mileage intervals.  Well hell, I don't drive much and my car sits in an enclosed garage most of the time. 

Its not free.

It is built into the price.

Rats chewed through the wiring in my BMW engine while I was on holiday.

Cost to have all the wiring replaced, which had to be ordered from Germany was  60,000 baht

I sold the car shortly afterwards, I had both BMW's and Mercs in the UK but they are just too expensive for me to run here.   Which is a shame.

21 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Just did a service at MB on the A-Class. 12k all up include top-up of all fluids (windscreen washer fluid 290thb) and that included oil change and air filter replacement. 

Jeez, 12K , at least Dick Turpin wore a mask......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Rats chewed through the wiring in my BMW engine while I was on holiday.

Cost to have all the wiring replaced, which had to be ordered from Germany was  60,000 baht

I sold the car shortly afterwards, I had both BMW's and Mercs in the UK but they are just too expensive for me to run here.   Which is a shame.

Living in the USA the price delta between a BMW and a Chevy isn't as great.  For example a Toyota Forerunner which is their midsize SUV kitted out somewhat luxury and AWD is gonna cost $50K.  A BMX X5 comparable in size etc about $62K.  Trust me the BMX drives a LOT better than the Toyota. 

And as I drive mostly well maintained roads I don't need especially rugged (not even sure the BMW isn't fairly rugged) so I pay a little more and have a much more luxurious vehicle that also runs rings around the Toyota. 

If I ever move to Thailand I will not own a BMW or Mercedes there.  Several reasons really.  For example I would prefer to NOT look like I am flush and a target for criminals.  I also don't want to pay the premium cost difference in Thailand.  And I expect with the state of roads and drivers there the car will sustain some kind of damage every year.  Tires destroyed.  Undercarriage smashed.  Motocys hitting the side. 

nah it's like combat driving there and I would want the most disposable easily repaired car I could get.  Probably would be the Toyota Fortuner. 

I owned a Benz here a few years ago. After breaking down in traffic twice, and having to be towed, I got shot of it. Bloody thing was a money pit.

I suppose there are people that think owning a Benz or a Beemer is a kind of cachet for their success in life. TBH, owning a modern Japanese or Korean car is much less stressful on the wallet in terms of maintenance. IMO the engineering is just as good, and they are much better value for money in terms of capital outlay.

Last time I looked a couple of years ago, the Kia Stinger was about AUD 20K less than the corresponding Mercedes 200 SLK,and the turbo delivered 30% more power.

I don't know what the situation is in Thailand, but in Australia, when it comes to problems under warranty, Mercedes has acquired the reputation of throwing its customers under a bus.

The only reason I can think of for owning one of the Germans is masochism.

Edited by Lacessit

12 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

Living in the USA the price delta between a BMW and a Chevy isn't as great.  For example a Toyota Forerunner which is their midsize SUV kitted out somewhat luxury and AWD is gonna cost $50K.  A BMX X5 comparable in size etc about $62K.  Trust me the BMX drives a LOT better than the Toyota. 

And as I drive mostly well maintained roads I don't need especially rugged (not even sure the BMW isn't fairly rugged) so I pay a little more and have a much more luxurious vehicle that also runs rings around the Toyota. 

If I ever move to Thailand I will not own a BMW or Mercedes there.  Several reasons really.  For example I would prefer to NOT look like I am flush and a target for criminals.  I also don't want to pay the premium cost difference in Thailand.  And I expect with the state of roads and drivers there the car will sustain some kind of damage every year.  Tires destroyed.  Undercarriage smashed.  Motocys hitting the side. 

nah it's like combat driving there and I would want the most disposable easily repaired car I could get.  Probably would be the Toyota Fortuner. 

A BMW is not a rarity here. Never heard of one attracting criminals. 

But I have logged it as reason #29943 I would not have a German car, even if I could afford one. 

As for tires destroyred and undercarriage smashed - nope. But were that to happen - or this "motocy hitting the side" - it would apply to all cars.

These one's I left out as while I can't speak for every criminal looking for a well-stocked handbag - I can say these are definitely not usable excuse as they don't happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I owned a Benz here a few years ago. After breaking down in traffic twice, and having to be towed, I got shot of it. Bloody thing was a money pit.

I suppose there are people that think owning a Benz or a Beemer is a kind of cachet for their success in life. TBH, owning a modern Japanese or Korean car is much less stressful on the wallet in terms of maintenance. IMO the engineering is just as good, and they are much better value for money in terms of capital outlay.

Last time I looked a couple of years ago, the Kia Stinger was about AUD 20K less than the corresponding Mercedes 200 SLK,and the turbo delivered 30% more power.

I don't know what the situation is in Thailand, but in Australia, when it comes to problems under warranty, Mercedes has acquired the reputation of throwing its customers under a bus.

The only reason I can think of for owning one of the Germans is masochism.

When you say "owned a Benz here" - do you mean home in Australia or your holiday in Thailand?

And you purchased a Benz for cachet? Did sir buy a used one for that lower cost cachet? That's always tricky.

I would say that just because you purchased a Benz for cachet, many people buy them because they are well within their budgets and the odd 20k here or there isn't going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

When you say "owned a Benz here" - do you mean home in Australia or your holiday in Thailand?

And you purchased a Benz for cachet? Did sir buy a used one for that lower cost cachet? That's always tricky.

I would say that just because you purchased a Benz for cachet, many people buy them because they are well within their budgets and the odd 20k here or there isn't going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Sir bought a used one here, which was a massive financial mistake. I thought by spending on restoration I could return it to its former glory.

I can't say if I bought it for cachet, more so I could go fast in it on wide highways. It did stick to the road like glue, and felt very solid.

IMO buying a new Benz here would have been an even bigger mistake, due to the huge tariffs levied, and the fact the brand has deteriorated in reliability. The Japanese and Korean makes have the Germans whipped in that attribute.

I am still driving a 16 yo Toyota Vios, which has been driven all over northern Thailand, has never let me down, and is still going strong. I bought it before the Benz. My mechanic loves it because it is simple to work on, and what he charges is a pittance compared to what I had to shell out for the Benz.  In addition, he does a lot better job of maintaining it than the Benz dealership I went to ever did.

Call it an old man's toy/folly.

benz1.jpg

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sir bought a used one here, which was a massive financial mistake. I thought by spending on restoration I could return it to its former glory.

I can't say if I bought it for cachet, more so I could go fast in it on wide highways. It did stick to the road like glue, and felt very solid.

IMO buying a new Benz here would have been an even bigger mistake, due to the huge tariffs levied, and the fact the brand has deteriorated in reliability. The Japanese and Korean makes have the Germans whipped in that attribute.

I am still driving a 16 yo Toyota Vios, which has been driven all over northern Thailand, has never let me down, and is still going strong. I bought it before the Benz. My mechanic loves it because it is simple to work on, and what he charges is a pittance compared to what I had to shell out for the Benz.  In addition, he does a lot better job of maintaining it than the Benz dealership I went to ever did.

Call it an old man's toy/folly.

benz1.jpg

OK - so just to be sure - you don't think you got this Benz for cachet - but everyone else that has one did so for that reason.

As for the other stuff. It all comes down to what is affordable to you. So you, me, everybody has a level of income they can dispose on a car and the upkeep.

Most here seem to come from a salaried background and in that case, I can see how these costs would be painful. But lots of people don't come from that background. They have businesses, the costs are higher but then get offset against taxes, so end up 30% lower - BUT - many are simply at a level of disposable income where the odd $1,000 here or there is of absolutely no significance.

For some - it's about trade-off. If I they have the Benz, then another purchase has to be put off. For others, there is no trade off. And for others the cost of maintaining a Benz is a pittance to them, just like maintaining your 16 year old Toyota is a pittance to you.

It's all relative at the end of the day.

This thread was a poke at BMW quality - but in light humor because I don't think BMW could have stopped that rock getting in the brakes. 

All threads like this tend to go down the path of "affordability" yet not acknowledge that this is a sliding scale. 

22 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

OK - so just to be sure - you don't think you got this Benz for cachet - but everyone else that has one did so for that reason.

As for the other stuff. It all comes down to what is affordable to you. So you, me, everybody has a level of income they can dispose on a car and the upkeep.

Most here seem to come from a salaried background and in that case, I can see how these costs would be painful. But lots of people don't come from that background. They have businesses, the costs are higher but then get offset against taxes, so end up 30% lower - BUT - many are simply at a level of disposable income where the odd $1,000 here or there is of absolutely no significance.

For some - it's about trade-off. If I they have the Benz, then another purchase has to be put off. For others, there is no trade off. And for others the cost of maintaining a Benz is a pittance to them, just like maintaining your 16 year old Toyota is a pittance to you.

It's all relative at the end of the day.

This thread was a poke at BMW quality - but in light humor because I don't think BMW could have stopped that rock getting in the brakes. 

All threads like this tend to go down the path of "affordability" yet not acknowledge that this is a sliding scale. 

I wouldn't say a capital outlay of 2-4 million baht on a car is insignificant, that's more than the cost of many condo apartments. IMO spending that amount of money on a depreciating asset is downright stupid, unless your income or assets are so massive it is a fleabite in comparison. I'd suggest there are not many people in Thailand in that category, more likely some are stretching their finances so they can impress their relatives, friends and neighbors.

I guess I wanted the experience of owning a Benz. If that's cachet, so be it. I've had the experience, no desire whatsoever to repeat it. I was more interested in it as a performance vehicle. If you want to keep insinuating I'm as shallow as a mud puddle, IMO I'm a bit more complex than that.

I understand some years ago, the list of quality defects in new Beemers occupied 34 pages.

Having said that, I also understand in Australia, BMW has the reputation of looking after its customers, even to the point of fixing problems that occur outside the warranty period. Unlike Mercedes, who have acquired a dismal reputation even inside warranty.

As I said before, I have no idea if the same metric applies in Thailand.

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I wouldn't say a capital outlay of 2-4 million baht on a car is insignificant, that's more than the cost of many condo apartments. IMO spending that amount of money on a depreciating asset is downright stupid, unless your income or assets are so massive it is a fleabite in comparison. I'd suggest there are not many people in Thailand in that category, more likely some are stretching their finances so they can impress their relatives, friends and neighbors.

I guess I wanted the experience of owning a Benz. If that's cachet, so be it. I've had the experience, no desire whatsoever to repeat it. I was more interested in it as a performance vehicle. If you want to keep insinuating I'm as shallow as a mud puddle, IMO I'm a bit more complex than that.

I understand some years ago, the list of quality defects in new Beemers occupied 34 pages.

Having said that, I also understand in Australia, BMW has the reputation of looking after its customers, even to the point of fixing problems that occur outside the warranty period. Unlike Mercedes, who have acquired a dismal reputation even inside warranty.

As I said before, I have no idea if the same metric applies in Thailand.

I often hear how BMW/Benz owners are all stretching their finances. But I only hear that from people that don't own them. I have a lot of friends that have them, one of them has their own park in Bangkok. 

I am a business owner. I am by no means wealthy - certainly not compared to many of my Thai friends.  I exist, I have lots of friends that are way wealthier than me. I don't spend much more than 1-2 months earnings on a car and I have a new Benz and a new BMW 

I like the Pannamera. It's 12 million Baht for the model I like. I could buy one - but I am not at the point where I'd be comfortable with that level of spend. Nor am I in a hurry to get there. 

So we hear that all BMW owners are over-extended - but what about people that are buying a BMW because it's a fairly insignificant sum to them and it's got no impact on anything else you want to do?

Because according to everyone here - they are all owned by show-offs, using borrowed money who can't use indicators. 

You all need to quit your jobs, start a business and come back to me in 3 years when you are earning $750k a year and then talk about affordability.

• Like 1

Benz or BMW, I see no reason to buy a German car in Thailand. Too expensive, waiting for spare parts and outside the big cities very few service stations.

In Germany we used BMW as company cars and hat too much troubles with them over the years. We switched to Audi.

In Thailand I drive Hondas and am happy with them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Benz or BMW, I see no reason to buy a German car in Thailand. Too expensive, waiting for spare parts and outside the big cities very few service stations.

In Germany we used BMW as company cars and hat too much troubles with them over the years. We switched to Audi.

In Thailand I drive Hondas and am happy with them.

OK - so the cars are out of your price range but you have a fallback excuse of why you don't own one which will suddenly disappear if you (and I hope you do) win the lottery! ????

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No one understands this... 

They think everyone else is showing off... because thats what they think they would be doing if they purchased an expensive item.

Its the same with watches, we have guys saying... "I have a phone which tells the time !!!... a high end watch is just showing off"

Then in other forums we have guys suggesting a car is not necessary at all !!!... (mostly by those who appear not to be able to afford a car).

Some people are unable to view the world from beyond their own bias. 

Are expensive nice cars a waste of money ???....  Of course they are, but so are many things... a 5 bedroom house is a waste if you are living in 2 bedrooms...  an iPad is a waste if you have a laptop, 6 different bottles of whisky on the side is a waste if you prefer one of them...  flying business or first class is a waste if you can sit in a regular seat.... 

Almost everything and anything can be considered excessive and wasteful by those who want to justify such as being excessive or wasteful....    

What ever happened to simply having something because you enjoy it - thats all it needs to be. 

I think it's because people love their cars and many people buy the best one they can afford.

So they see the BMW/Benz and think the owner of that did the same. 

It's like a 4-wheel d**k swinging competition that the BMW/Benz drivers didn't know they were a part of and won by default.

So it creates a little resentment.

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You bought a Mercedes (not a Benz) from the Pleistocene, that probably had been crashed and "repaired" a gazillion times and flooded and "repaired" a kazillion others. And in doing so, you probably neglected doing a proper pre-purchase inspection (because had you done it, you wouldn't have bought it).

You don't need to be a magician to predict such story is going to end in a lot of money being put in a car that is not worth it. 

But that doesn't mean other newer better taken care of Mercedes will suffer the same issues.

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are expensive nice cars a waste of money ???....  Of course they are

It's not really a waste of money if it makes you happy.

To me blowing money on hookers is ridiculous and a waste of money, but apparently many here in LOS think otherwise... Probably most of the ones who claims Mercs/BMW are a waste of money.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:32 AM, phutoie2 said:

Jeez, 12K , at least Dick Turpin wore a mask......

I will be claiming it back through the company. They also cover my fuel. ????

One of the Thai managers was consistently claiming thb 20k+ per year for repair costs and then the other Thai managers got annoyed as they weren't getting anything so I suggested a change to the company policy, so now all managers get servicing costs included in their packages.

I could quite easily drive one of the company pickups or SUV thingies to and from work for absolutely no cost to myself, and I did for a time, but once you sit in something a bit nicer and quicker, get some music on, you look around and think... "why on Earth didn't I do this sooner?".

42 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

OK - so the cars are out of your price range but you have a fallback excuse of why you don't own one which will suddenly disappear if you (and I hope you do) win the lottery! ????

One who thinks a BMW or Benz is the proof to be rich is just a wannabe.

Enjoy your ignorance, it's funny ????

We bought an 'E' PHEV at least 2.5  years ago now. Knowing that out of warranty bills could be huge and the fact that model has had a few problems, purchased an extra five yeras manufactures warranty. So now only have to basically pay for annual service.

Buying an older Merc can be a risk but it will have  considerably reduced depreciation, realised, if you decede to sell at sometime in the future. 

If I'm still around when the warranty runs out will no doubt have sold it just before.

It suits us, would probably have gone for 'equivalent  BMW if the rear seats had folded down buit they didn't. Having it set up for two seats and large luggage space suits us.

As pointed out you spend your money on whatever you want ensuring of course to keep enough for a rainy day. Of couse had they not 'now' been CKD then would very probably decided on something else ....

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

One who thinks a BMW or Benz is the proof to be rich is just a wannabe.

Enjoy your ignorance, it's funny ????

So what do you suggest, comrade? Forcing all the population to buy Toyota Vios and MG whatever... 

Nobody said anything about being rich, some people like BMW or Mercedes and so we buy them. 

But I'm sure that if you had everything you needed, and were looking for a car with a lot of cash in hand, you would also choose one of the "premium" brands. Forget about the cachet thingy,  there's huge different from driving a Toyota Crappy to driving a Mercedes or BMW, ride quality, comfort, safety, the list is endless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If I had the money to buy one of the Germans new, I wouldn't now. I'd be spending it on a hot hatch, such as the Hyundai i30N. Something I could have fun with.

No, but if you had in your bank as much as 15 brand new Mercedes cost, you would surely buy one of the "premium" brands (not necessarily Mercedes, but maybe BMW, Porsche, Maserati, Audi, whatever).

25 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

No, but if you had in your bank as much as 15 brand new Mercedes cost, you would surely buy one of the "premium" brands (not necessarily Mercedes, but maybe BMW, Porsche, Maserati, Audi, whatever).

Warren Buffet was known for driving a 10 yo car, it depends on priorities and motivations.

Before I came to Thailand, I was a member of the National Golf Club in Australia.

https://www.nationalgolf.com.au/cms/

The membership was a mixed bag, as usual. There were two groups that were notable in my eyes.

The first were seriously wealthy people. Old money. They kept a level head about their good fortune, had good manners, and were ferociously competitive at golf. A couple of them are still my friends. Sadly, several have passed away.

The second group were newly wealthy. They bought a new set of clubs every six months, and had lessons with the club professionals. Hackers.  Drove Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Maseratis. As pleasant as dog turds to play with, talked incessantly about money while searching for the balls they had mostly in the rough, sand traps and trees. Treated the golf club staff like dirt.

I doubt whether they enjoyed the golf, it was more about the prestige of belonging to what is still IMO one of the best sporting facilities in Australia. They were in for a rude awakening if they thought their money could buy them a good golf swing.

You see where I am going with this?  Apologies if I've gone too far off topic.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You see where I am going with this?  Apologies if I've gone too far off topic.

Not really, I think you can’t see past your bias. 

Golf is a pretty expensive hobby, I sure do have the money to play golf, but I never will! Because I consider it a waste of money and time! 

However I do drive a Mercedes, because I love them,  love the brand, love them in Motorsport, love the riding quality, love the comfort, etc… 

Anyone is free to spend their money as they wish. To some people buying a brand new Mercedes means only one month earnings. Regardless of the motive to purchase it, is it not their right? 

1 hour ago, alextrat1966 said:

But I'm sure that if you had everything you needed, and were looking for a car with a lot of cash in hand, you would also choose one of the "premium" brands. Forget about the cachet thingy,  there's huge different from driving a Toyota Crappy to driving a Mercedes or BMW, ride quality, comfort, safety, the list is endless.

I guess you've never heard of a Nissan GTR. Or the Toyota offshoot, Lexus. Just as luxurious as any of the Germans.

Toyota outsells Mercedes and BMW combined two to one worldwide. There's a reason for that, reliability.

Who are you trying to kid? A Mercedes 200C is just another sedan in Europe, they are used as taxis.

These secondhand Toyotas are imported into Myanmar after two years in Japan. I really doubt the owners would agree with your description of Toyota crappy. Big, solid, comfortable, and quiet.

IMG20181116110826.jpg

19 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

Golf is a pretty expensive hobby, I sure do have the money to play golf, but I never will! Because I consider it a waste of money and time! 

I'm making the point money can't buy class. Even if people think buying a Mercedes does.

Usually, people who don't play golf because they think it's a waste of money and time would be incompetent at it, that's a given.

1 hour ago, alextrat1966 said:

So what do you suggest, comrade? Forcing all the population to buy Toyota Vios and MG whatever... 

Nobody said anything about being rich, some people like BMW or Mercedes and so we buy them. 

Well, comrade, calm down. I drove BMW and Benz for decades in Germany as company and private cars. For company cars we switched to Audi years ago, because BMW is not premium anymore imo.

And important: I wrote, in THAILAND I would not buy a German car and I wrote why i wouldn't. It's not only the value for money argument, as you can read.

But I find it funny, that some forum-millionaires seem to think the only reason to avoid German cars in Thailand could be a lack of funds ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I guess you've never heard of a Nissan GTR. Or the Toyota offshoot, Lexus. Just as luxurious as any of the Germans.

Sure they are great and expensive cars. I hate Japanese cars for different reasons, among which like I said, I am a Mercedes fanboy, and I wouldn't buy a Ferrari or a Lambo even if I had the money to buy (perhaps I do). But I stick to Mercedes cuz it's the brand I like and everything they represent. Not about money or class, you are very wrong.