#1 reason to own a Benz

pedro01

2 hours ago, PFMills said:

Watched a YouTube video on how to do that on the 911. Seems only takes 7min 43 secs.

Yes - maybe took a little longer - 555.  

YouTube is brilliant. Gave me the information I needed to change plugs & service my Cayman - in fact has been my go to for many years for any car (or household) repairs.

Here is a question for the Mercedes mavens:

Let's say you have bought one of the top line Mercs, S class or whatever. It costs you 6 million baht.

Now take a Mazda 2, which IMO is a brilliant small car. Responsive, agile, dead easy to park in a city. 600,000 baht.  So the Mercedes is ten times the price.

Is the Mercedes really ten times better?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Let's say you have bought one of the top line Mercs, S class or whatever. It costs you 6 million baht.

Now take a Mazda 2, which IMO is a brilliant small car. Responsive, agile, dead easy to park in a city. 600,000 baht.  So the Mercedes is ten times the price.

You can’t be serious! 

They’re different concepts of cars. Hence why the Mazda is thought for cheap Charlies to get around quickly and easily, and the S-Class belongs to the luxury/executive sector of cars. 

It’s like flying economy vs flying business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Ya never been in one then......?  ????...........????

• Like 1

Just now, alextrat1966 said:

You can’t be serious! 

They’re different concepts of cars. Hence why the Mazda is thought for cheap Charlies to get around quickly and easily, and the S-Class belongs to the luxury/executive sector of cars. 

It’s like flying economy vs flying business. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't heard of an airline that charges ten times the airfare for a business class seat vs an economy seat.

IMO a Mazda 2 would be far better suited to city traffic than a Mercedes, whereas the Merc would come into its own on autobahns and multi-lane highways.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't heard of an airline that charges ten times the airfare for a business class seat vs an economy seat.

IMO a Mazda 2 would be far better suited to city traffic than a Mercedes, whereas the Merc would come into its own on autobahns and multi-lane highways.

Yep, ya never been in one.....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sometimes more than 10 times, my good friend. 

And let’s not even talk safety wise. I’m sure a 900kg Mazda 2 would do just fine against a 2 tons Ford F-150 or 2.5 tons Merc S-Class. Your life apparently is worth very little money to you! 

1 minute ago, transam said:

Isn't that a smaller jobby, what difficulties did you have driving it...?

300CE. I had no difficulties driving it, apart from when it decided to break down on me, usually in the most inconvenient of circumstances.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Isn't that a smaller jobby, what difficulties did you have driving it...?

That’s looks more like an E-Class  to me (W124).

But regardless. If you compare an early 90s (probably late 80s actually) Mercedes with a 2021 Mazda 2. Then probably the Mazda will be better!! 

It’s like comparing an iPhone 3 with a brand new cheapish Samsung. 

Edited by alextrat1966

Just now, Lacessit said:

300CE. I had no difficulties driving it, apart from when it decided to break down on me, usually in the most inconvenient of circumstances.

Man, honestly, you bought a Mercedes from the 1980s secondhand and in Thailand where secondhand cars are known to be generally very badly taken care of and in poor shape!!! 

Did you really expect it to run without any issues at all? 

1 minute ago, alextrat1966 said:

That’s looks more like a C-Class to me. 

But regardless. If you compare an early 90s Mercedes with a 2021 Mazda 2. Then probably the Mazda will be better!! 

It’s like comparing an iPhone 3 with a brand new cheapish Samsung. 

Not so sure about that, I drove 4/6/8 pot Mercs many years back, they were amazingly quiet and comfortable rides. My last car in the UK was a 2001 E-class, loved it...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Not so sure about that, I drove 4/6/8 pot Mercs many years back, they were amazingly quiet and comfortable rides. My last car in the UK was a 2001 E-class, loved it...

2001 E-Class that’s a W210 if I’m not wrong. 

Already a very different car to the late 80s W124 the other fella bought. 

The W210 will be riddled with electronic comfort features. Indeed, even nowadays it’s a great car. 

W124 was amazing back in its day, but it’s just too old nowadays to compete! 

On 1/27/2022 at 6:15 PM, pedro01 said:

True

The Z4 (pictured on the flatbed in post 1) - was 5.1 million. The Toyota equivalent - the Supra costs 5.2 million here. 

So the Toyota and the BMW are about the same price.

As for the C43 AMG - I am not sure what the equivalent would be - as I can't see an equivalently performing coupe from Toyota. So let's take it against the Toyota sports car - the GR Yaris

AMG - 4 million. GR Yaris 2.7M

AMG - 3.0V6, GR Yaris 1.6 V3 (lol) tuned close to death

AMG - 385hp, Yaris - 257hp (which you gotta admit - is pretty cool)

GR Yaris Interior (looks like the inside of a Thai Taxi)

2021 Toyota GR Yaris - Interior | Caricos

C43 interior (looks like a tarts bedroom in this pic) - the lighting is standard, we have ours set to purple - to avoind Mongers gathering around red lights.

Mercedes-AMG C 43 facelift gets more power and a swanky interior -  AutoBuzz.my

Yaris Exterior

2021 Toyota GR Yaris ฮอทแฮทช์ 261PS เปิดราคาในยุโรป - motortrivia

C43 Exterior

2022 Mercedes-AMG C43 Coupe: Review, Trims, Specs, Price, New Interior  Features, Exterior Design, and Specifications | CarBuzz

Now - the Yaris GR is the closest I could find - and I think the AMG justifies the higher price being bigger and better.  The Yaris interior is horrific.

So I am not sure how these cars are so much more expensive than equivalents (both 3.0 V6) from other brands.

In fact - the BMW is cheaper than the Toyota!

We all have different tastes.

To my eyes that CL43 interior is horrific.  Too complex and a mish mash of different materials seemingly chosen at random.  And honestly I don't think it matters what colour you make the interior lighting it will still look like a tart's bedroom.

The Toyota interior is relatively simple and functional.  It has a proper handbrake and a proper manual gearbox.  It is doubtless high quality and it it will keep on working.

To my my mind simplicity is a virtue.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

Sometimes more than 10 times, my good friend. 

And let’s not even talk safety wise. I’m sure a 900kg Mazda 2 would do just fine against a 2 tons Ford F-150 or 2.5 tons Merc S-Class. Your life apparently is worth very little money to you! 

I think in Australia I had about 4 accidents in 50 years of driving. Two were drunk idiots that rear-ended me at traffic lights, another two were T-bones by morons who did not know what give way signs meant.

I've driven over some of the roughest roads Australia has to offer, in all weather conditions. And believe me, they are rough. There's a section of road between Kununurra and Timber Creek that was like driving on house bricks, with all the pointy ends facing up. Or the road from Euabalong to Nymagee, on a wet day it's like trying to drive on soap.

You point is valid, I can't defend myself against a homicidal Benz driver like the one that was recently filmed running a red light in Bangkok. Having said that, touch wood, I have yet to have an accident in ten years of driving in Thailand, so I must be doing something right.

Dare I suggest learning to drive defensively is a lot less costly than owning a Benz.

13 minutes ago, seedy said:

Rubbish

Then you must live in another planet, lol. 

Mechanically you may often get away with it. But the paint job in most second hand cars in Thailand of certain age is mashed up together with the interior.

Edited by alextrat1966

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

#1 reason to own a Benz?

Ask any Portuguese Taxi driver?

Are you thinking of the 1998 W124 300D that MB bought back from the taxi driver owner in Porto, to put in their museum in Germany. 

That model was one of the best MB’s. There was a decline in quality after that. MB have recently improved their product considerably.

Relatively expensive here compared to other markets but Thai cars are loaded with extras, as standard, that have to be paid for in other countries

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PFMills said:

Are you thinking of the 1998 W124 300D that MB bought back from the taxi driver owner in Porto, to put in their museum in Germany. 

That model was one of the best MB’s. There was a decline in quality after that. MB have recently improved their product considerably.

Relatively expensive here compared to other markets but Thai cars are loaded with extras, as standard, that have to be paid for in other countries

No question the flagship Mercedes are top of the line, luxury cars. They are expensive in any country. You get what you pay for.

What kills me is the defence of the A, B and C class models, because the bean counters have been all over them like a cheap suit, and IMO the Koreans and Japanese slaughter them for build quality and cost. Not to mention subsequent maintenance and spare part costs.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What kills me is the defence of the A, B and C class models

The new C-Class is the best value for money you can get on that sector. Provided that they have pretty much copied 1:1 the interior of the S-Class. It's amazing: 

image.png.ac45af4e4288fefbdc5ea000f92a030d.png

When it comes to cars like A-Class or B-Class, if it's the cheapest models, those with the small displacement engines (A200, B200), I agree there may be better choices in some Japanese cars (even if the quality isn't as good, the japs may be better money for value). 

But then you have cars like the A35 AMG, A45 AMG, A45 AMG S 4 Matic. No jap car could even come close to those on performance: 

image.png.129523dde14e13b93a12bf3510a836f6.png

These babies have got close to 500hp, out of a 4 cylinder power unit, that's simply crazy! The level of engineering that has gone into that, and the price is on point too!

There is never a direct measurable 10x difference in value when comparing luxury items with economy items.  As an example I am a guitar player.  Looking at acoustic guitars that would stay in tune, and have reasonable action I can buy a Yamaha for about $500.  In fact that is what I have in Thailand that hasn't been played now in 2 years.  It will be a good guitar.  And in fact I have one like that here in the USA also for taking out to dodgy places where your drunk neighbor thinks he still remembers how to play smoke on the water.  it takes a beating.  It performs the function of an acoustic guitar.

I also own some guitars that cost 20x that.  If you are not musically trained or a guitar player they might look and sound alike to you.  Not to me.  The action is so much easier.  The intonation (tuning perfection up and down the entire neck) is perfect.  They LOOK amazing.  But most important to me is I can hear tones and depth of sound the Yamaha can not make.  To me that guitar is easily worth the extra money.  Is it 10-20x better?  Only in the opinion of the buyer.

The same is true of luxury cars.  In reality a Toyota and Mercedes both do the same job.  They transport you from point A to point B.  Currently they both do it pretty reliably.  So what adds value to the luxury cars.  Well first where I live it isn't even close to a 10x factor.  I would have to compare a cheapest Toyota to a highest end Mercedes made.  Not comparable at all.  So an S class here is about $120k versus a decent 4 door Toyota at $40K.  So it is more like 3X.  Where is that 3x value?  As I said it isn't a measurable thing.  But to ME it is certainly there.  Riding in a vehicle that is much quieter, less bumpy on the road, safer in a collision and a more appealing interior design and materials has value.  Plus the actual driving experience of power and handling factor.   The question is how much value?

I can only answer for myself.  I could have bought a simple Toyota Highlander here.  If has as much room and does what my BMW X5 does.  To get the same features (almost) of my BKW would have cost $45K.  My BMW (which had some ridiculous features I didn't need or want such as a $5k special paint color) was $85K.  So I could have saved $40K.  All I know is if I had bought the Toyota I know every time I got in the thing I'd have been disappointed in the acceleration, handling, sound system, cabin quality, and materials.  It was worth that $40k TO ME to have the creature comforts difference.

And of course don't forget it really isn't $40K in the end because in 5 years when I sell this care I will get some of that back i resale.  Probably more like a $25K difference to drive that car versus a Toyota.  So for $5K a year I drive in luxury versus acceptable.  That is my price point.  Everyone is different and those espousing the new Toyota might meet someone that points out you can buy a 10 year old car of 10% the cost of a new one and it will do everything the new car does.  It's all relative.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

The new C-Class is the best value for money you can get on that sector. Provided that they have pretty much copied 1:1 the interior of the S-Class. It's amazing: 

image.png.ac45af4e4288fefbdc5ea000f92a030d.png

When it comes to cars like A-Class or B-Class, if it's the cheapest models, those with the small displacement engines (A200, B200), I agree there may be better choices in some Japanese cars (even if the quality isn't as good, the japs may be better money for value). 

But then you have cars like the A35 AMG, A45 AMG, A45 AMG S 4 Matic. No jap car could even come close to those on performance: 

image.png.129523dde14e13b93a12bf3510a836f6.png

These babies have got close to 500hp, out of a 4 cylinder power unit, that's simply crazy! The level of engineering that has gone into that, and the price is on point too!

I don't measure vehicles on the basis of how many touchscreens they have, I look at the value for money, and engineering.

Back in 2004, I bought a Mitsubishi Magna AWD. IIRC, $38,000 at the time. The Mercedes equivalent AMG in terms of all-wheel drive and horsepower was twice the price.

The Magna AWD was probably the most underrated large sedan in Australian motoring history. Although Americans would probably call it a compact. At the time, I think it was the only vehicle that had disc brakes on all four wheels.

I had a golfing friend who owned two Mercedes. We took the Magna from Melbourne to Adelaide for a tournament we were playing in, sharing the driving. He commented on how comfortable and responsive the Magna was.

When I left Australia, I gave the Magna to my son. It is still on duty, somewhere north of 300K on the odometer.

A love affair with a particular brand is OK, although all love affairs leave logic behind.

4 hours ago, seedy said:

I guess if you are 12 years old, or a video gamer, that dash looks nice.

To me it is hideous.

I guess if you were born in the Pleistocene that dash may not look good to you then. 

But it’s the fact that they have put many of the features only found in the ir executive sedan (S-Class) they have actually put them on their compact sedan (C-Class). No other brand does this, and indeed it’s the first time Mercedes does this.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I look at the value for money, and engineering.

Ok, let’s talk engineering. 

When the Japanese car industry started developing, people in the US hated them. Now they’re everywhere in the US.

Back then Japanese cars were extremely unsafe, nowadays they’re fine.

But one should not forget who patented the most important safety systems in cars: 

* Airbag 1981 - Mercedes-Benz 

* ABS 1978 - Mercedes-Benz 

* ESP (Traction Control) 1995 - Mercedes-Benz

* Crumple Zones 1959 - Mercedes-Benz

These are some of the most critical systemswhen it comes to safety, and they were all engineered  and patented by Daimler AG(company which owns the Mercedes-Benz brand).

Not by the Japanese. The Japanese just used to it to make their cars safer. Just copy cats.

• Like 1