Do you ever feel totally accepted as an expat?

ASEAN NOW News

Expat life is not for everyone, however, the millions who do become expats, tend to stay that way for some time, if not forever.

As an expat my self-having worked in the States, the United Arab Emirates, and now Thailand, I now think I have my own take on being a long-term expat.

TTS02229-9142-1527671319.jpg.0730a0a51be23320d871f4c7b4464647.jpg

I always tell friends family and fellow expats that it is of course very much a nomadic life, whether you are in Vietnam, Thailand, or the Philippines.

You take your clothes and cash, but normally the furniture and your car stay behind.

Although in the UAE, we expats made up to 80% of the country’s population, the locals always had the final say.

You needed a sponsor who charged for everything for visas to insurance and upset them and you would struggle to find a new sponsor.

As in most countries, it was all about who you knew.

Out in three months

Of course, in Dubai, many expats lost their jobs during the financial crash in 2009, and families were given just three months to pack up and leave.

The locals were ruthless!

When I worked there, I did make many friends, but that usually lasted on average just two years, as people tended to move on.

It felt like I was on one platform at the station, and they were on the opposite platform, waiting for the train to take them to their next adventure.

Asia dealing with uncertainty

Now having moved to Asia I am still dealing with uncertainty.

Will Immigration grant me another one-year work permit?

Will inland revenue agree with my annual tax returns?

Do I really need to pay exorbitant fees for health insurance, when the cover is very limited?

I expect these are concerns for many of us Expats wherever we live in Southeast Asia.

Whether you are an expat with a work permit or a retiree with a retirement visa, there is always that uncertainty that the local government will amend the regulations overnight.

Expats-in-Vietnam-1.jpg.70b654db59f5e7091f09e9c5eccecefb.jpg

Of course, we can embrace the local lifestyle, most with a warmer climate than back home in Europe or America.

We can also create our own circle of friends, meet local partners, enjoy some incredible local meals, play five-star golf, or holiday in some beautiful resorts.

However, there is always tension in the back of your mind, whether you will be able to stay much longer.

These are my own observations, but it would be interesting to get your own thoughts on expat living.

Join our 3 x a week Vietnam News, Travel and Expat information newsletter and keep up to date. https://aseannow.com/newsletter.php

On 1/14/2022 at 8:17 AM, ASEAN NOW News said:

As an expat my self-having worked in the States, the United Arab Emirates, and now Thailand, I now think I have my own take on being a long-term expat.

If you're using a hyphen like this, it should look something like this: "As an expat myself - having worked in the States, the United Arab Emirates, and now Thailand - I now think I have my own take on being a long-term expat."

You use it correctly with "long-term" as these words are linked to describe "expat", but where you are adding extra information, as you did with the first hyphen, you need to have a space either side and then close the extra info with another hyphen if the sentence is continuing.