Welder purchase advice

EVENKEEL

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've got a house full of cheap tools.

All working with no problems ...... apart from cheap spanners which tend to round the heads.

I am with @BritManToo on this.  With some exceptions.  I always buy Makita drills, grinders and dropsaws because aftermarket repair parts are readily available on Shopee.  I recently put a new armature, bearings and bushes in my Makita grinder.  Total cost was circa 300 baht and it runs cooler, faster and smoother than with the original armature.

I bought a meter long or so crow bar for 65 baht a few years back on Shopee.  This morning I was jimmying around a stack of 3 cement tank rings.  Worked perfectly...very good quality steel in the bar...I had a quiet moment where I thought to myself...glad I bought this bar it was a bargain.  I have used it many time for all kinds of tasks.  The other day used it to put pressure on the alternator in my car so that I could adjust the belt.  Used it to strip shuttering on the footings for the extension out back.  GF used it when she was digging hole for aforementioned tank rings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Agree,

You always get nonsense posts on this sort of thread suggesting expensive purchases.

Probably from people who have never owned a welder, and don't live in Thailand.

My 1,000+bht welder has worked perfectly from the day I bought it.

Don't you get tired of buying cheap, I do. Kind of a self respect thing.

33 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I guess people like @BritManToo and I are just not stupid enough to think that there is a reliable correlation between price and quality here in LOS.

I don't understand why getting ripped off makes you feel so good about yourself.  You will have to explain that to me like I am a small child, or a golden retriever.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

I guess people like @BritManToo and I are just not stupid enough to think that there is a reliable correlation between price and quality here in LOS.

I don't understand why getting ripped off makes you feel good about yourself.  You will have to explain that to me like I am a small child, or a golden retriever.

The difference between proper proffessional tools and handyman tools, is how long it last. How many hours you can use them before they "burn up"

Also used to be color code not only the price, but that was back in the days

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've a couple of cheap screwdrivers give up, and a cheap chisel went rusty.

All my cheap power tools , including a cheap hammer drill 9 years old still as good as new.

Welder, angle grinder, electric screwdriver 2 years and working.

Electric hair trimmer from BigC still working after 11 years (had to wire the on/off switch out).

Solar cells and Suoer GTIs all working after two years (one of the GTIs has a broken fan, replacement fan 34bht)

Pickup truck for 150kbht still working after 11 years, minimal repairs, no servicing, just fix it when something breaks.

The only major failures I had was Samsung 55" Tv which broke after 18 months ....... not cheap.

Samsung air-con failed after 6 years ...... not cheap.

Samsung fridge failed after 7 years, Samsung 10" tablet failed after 3 years ........... not cheap.

Having seen a pattern in my 'failures', I now avoid anything with a Samsung label on it.

You must get tired of wasting your money?

Drill was 650bht with a free kit of drill bits (Tesco Ruem Chok) ..... I've broken a few of the drills, but that drill has drilled a lot of concrete and box steel.

IMG_20220203_135215.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

50 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I don't understand why getting ripped off makes you feel so good about yourself.  You will have to explain that to me like I am a small child, or a golden retriever.

Life's too short to try so hard to get thee absolute cheapest tool that will get the job done. If 3,000 tbh will make or break you for the month then go for the cheapest. For me 3,000tbh doesn't mean much if I feel better about not buying the cheapest. I bought a 1800 tbh weed whacker, if and when I buy another it will be a 4 stroke Honda at about 8,000tbh, Why?? because I can.

3 hours ago, Daimler said:

If you can not weld box section with 2.6mm rods then your setup is wrong.

Welder for 35 years

Not correct, depending on the wall thickness. If, you, a skilled welder, can’t do that then the setup is wrong. But the majority of people here are not skilled welders, so even if the equipment is setup perfectly may well have difficulties

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Hmm..  Professional...you can't even spell it....

And for most of us it is not legal to posses professional tools.  We don't have work permits.

You do keep spouting BS. Work permits have nothing to do with owning professional tools. So it is perfectly legal, apart from fire arms, and there a work permit doesn’t help either, to buy anything you want.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I have a lot of cheap tools. a lot of good tools and some really good tools. 

I generally buy cheap for stuff I use once or infrequently.

That said, I have never really been sorry I paid the extra dough to buy something I really like, but I have been sorry I did not spend the money and instead bought something cheap. 

A cheap tool my work fine for someone, and that's great, but it would be foolish to believe there is generally no difference between cheap, generic tools and more expensive name brand stuff. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You do keep spouting BS. Work permits have nothing to do with owning professional tools. So it is perfectly legal, apart from fire arms, and there a work permit doesn’t help either, to buy anything you want.

Oh..good lord....You thought my post was serious.....

24 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Life's too short to try so hard to get thee absolute cheapest tool that will get the job done. If 3,000 tbh will make or break you for the month then go for the cheapest. For me 3,000tbh doesn't mean much if I feel better about not buying the cheapest. I bought a 1800 tbh weed whacker, if and when I buy another it will be a 4 stroke Honda at about 8,000tbh, Why?? because I can.

Oh...so you are not here to debate issues of value for money or fitness for purpose.  Just to make out you are richer than the next guy....

I will keep buying tools that are good value and fit for purpose....You can keep trying to impress people reading an anonymous forum.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've a couple of cheap screwdrivers give up, and a cheap chisel went rusty.

All my cheap power tools , including a cheap hammer drill 9 years old still as good as new.

Welder, angle grinder, electric screwdriver 2 years and working.

Electric hair trimmer from BigC still working after 11 years (had to wire the on/off switch out).

Solar cells and Suoer GTIs all working after two years (one of the GTIs has a broken fan, replacement fan 34bht)

Pickup truck for 150kbht still working after 11 years, minimal repairs, no servicing, just fix it when something breaks.

The only major failures I had was Samsung 55" Tv which broke after 18 months ....... not cheap.

Samsung air-con failed after 6 years ...... not cheap.

Samsung fridge failed after 7 years, Samsung 10" tablet failed after 3 years ........... not cheap.

Having seen a pattern in my 'failures', I now avoid anything with a Samsung label on it.

You must get tired of wasting your money?

Drill was 650bht with a free kit of drill bits (Tesco Ruem Chok) ..... I've broken a few of the drills, but that drill has drilled a lot of concrete and box steel.

IMG_20220203_135215.jpg

Hey Britmantoo,

How many amps is that welder of yours?

I can't find any info on it other than shopee or lazada.in thai.

Trying to get my head around the pricing structure of these inverter welders.

3 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Hey Britmantoo,

How many amps is that welder of yours?

I can't find any info on it other than shopee or lazada.in thai.

Trying to get my head around the pricing structure of these inverter welders.

No idea ...... I'll take a look .......

When I'm welding the knob is only 1/3 of the way up.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/inntech-inverter-igbt-450a-3-supreme-edition-i274609952-s436457675.html

Label suggests 38v @ 450A

IMG_20220203_152905.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Oh...so you are not here to debate issues of value for money or fitness for purpose.  Just to make out you are richer than the next guy....

I will keep buying tools that are good value and fit for purpose....You can keep trying to impress people reading an anonymous forum.

Chill, have a beer, Archa right? I don't know enough about the different brand names to have an informative opinion, I'm buying middle of the road prices and hope for the best. Buying my own tools to do my own work doesn't ooze mega bucks now does it?

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Chill, have a beer, Archa right? I don't know enough about the different brand names to have an informative opinion, I'm buying middle of the road prices and hope for the best. Buying my own tools to do my own work doesn't ooze mega bucks now does it?

Have found Stanley to reliable, and my best buy so far from them, is this one

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.gh8jz

Edited by Hummin

On 1/14/2022 at 11:24 AM, Adumbration said:

When I was younger I worked in breakdown maintenance as a contractor in mines and quarries.  Our motto was cut your way in, weld your way out.  It was all stick welding back then.

More commonly know as a platebasher to fitters.????

Been in my fair share of chutes and glad those days they are over.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:03 AM, farmerjo said:

https://www.automac.co.th/products/welder/เครื่องเชื่อมไฟฟ้า-automac-arc-300x

I just purchased this welding machine as my old one draws to much power.

Only ever used to adjusting an amp dial on a stick welder.

To the welders out there,is the hot start dial more for harder striking rods like low hydrogen or just as handy for older moist gp rods.

And what does the arc force dial achieve?

Just got the welder out of the box so a quick review.

Bit of rusty 2mm plate,3.2 rb-26 rod and a 20 metre extension cord to the welder.

Even with the hot start,still hard to initial strike on the rusty plate and an old rod.

But everything else exceeded expectations.

5 metre leads give you room to move and machine is light to move around.

Comes with a lock up box to keep other hands off it.

3.2 rod at 105 amps only dropped voltage back to 190 volts meter side of AVR.

The old transformer welder would drop to 160, the weld would be <deleted> and the power would cut out.

So an inverter welder gets a tick from me,should of got one years a go.

20220204_113907.jpg

20220204_113353.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's a good price . .....

I've been using these 2mm rods @ 379bht for 2.5Kg with free delivery

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i125132841-s131198053.html

Im going to do some test welding and also make a small garden gate to begin with. Im all up for buying a mig welder if Im going to make chicken house and also a garage later. Just a test.

Anyone who bought a mig welder can you post your link below if you are satisfied with the machine for some bigger projectz. 

23 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Anyone who bought a mig welder can you post your link below if you are satisfied with the machine for some bigger projectz. 

Jasic have good thailand review

Service support and spare part available here

KTW Group are main agent

Mig160 is a popular machine

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jasic-mig-160-n219-mig-08mm-5kg-1-i1509402473-s3988764775.html

On 1/14/2022 at 9:13 AM, BritManToo said:

I bought this one, been using it since mid 2019.

Works perfectly ....... and 200bht less than when I bought it.

I've made frames for solar panels, rabbit cages, fence repairs, can't fault it in any way.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/inntech-inverter-igbt-450a-3-supreme-edition-i274609952-s436457675.html

The rods were surprisingly expensive at 380bht (2mm)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/yawata-ft51-20-mm-x300-mm-25-kg-i125132841-s131198053.html

The welder comes with gloves and a mask, but you might want to spend another 200bht on an auto dimming mask which I find really helps. Thicker welding rods are a lot cheaper (2.6mm @ 150bht/box) but it's harder to weld box steel with thicker rods.

Do you have a english manual link? 

Tried it yesterday, and not sure I have a electric stability problem, or I do not manage to set the settings correct for my 2mm rods.

What setting do you use for 2mm rods roughly and 2mm iron.

If you have a list of setting for different rods and thickness iron, yes please

22 minutes ago, Hummin said:

What setting do you use for 2mm rods roughly and 2mm iron.

This is my last settings for 2mm Yawata F51 rods.

If it's hard to strike, I turn the current up a bit, if it blows through, I turn the current down a bit.

Roughly I'm moving between 180 and 210 amps.

You gotta tap, tap, tap the end of the rod to knock off the slag on the tip to strike at the start. If there's no spark, you need to use the wire brush to remove any rust from your clamp point.

IMG_20220207_073208.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

This is my last settings for 2mm Yawata F51 rods.

If it's hard to strike, I turn the current up a bit, if it blows through, I turn the current down a bit.

Roughly I'm moving between 180 and 210 amps.

You gotta tap, tap, tap the end of the rod to knock off the slag on the tip to strike at the start. If there's no spark, you need to use the wire brush to remove any rust from your clamp point.

IMG_20220207_073208.jpg

Thank you