Pub-like restaurants become hotspots for Bangkok COVID-19 clusters

snoop1130

7e93a386b52b9267f5717889b9d5221d_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Health officials have identified pub-like restaurants and densely populated dorms as infection hotspots in Bangkok, as the official number of new COVID-19 cases today exceeded 8,000, excluding self-tests at home.

The Institute for Urban Disease Control and Prevention (IUDC) is calling for the general public to refrain from visiting high-risk venues including poorly ventilated and densely populated areas.

Dr. Suthat Chottanapund, Director of the IUDC, said a high number of new cases in Bangkok are linked to pub-like restaurants and densely populated flats and dorms. He recommended those who live in densely populated residences be cautious and take preventative measures seriously.

People who have recently traveled back from other provinces are now encouraged to monitor for symptoms for 14 days, and to take an antigen test whenever they experience symptoms. Those who test positive should call the 1330 hotline to manage their treatment and isolation arrangement.

The official number of new COVID-19 cases continues to increase after the New Year holidays, with today’s figure at 8,167 and 14 deaths. This official figure does not include positive results from antigen tests, reportedly around 1,000 today.

The number of new cases in Bangkok alone was at 989 cases today, with 3 deaths.

The IUDC is also asking unvaccinated people to get their jabs as quickly as possible, and asking venues to strictly adhere to the Covid Free Setting guideline. Venues that fail to comply with the guideline may have their permits revoked. The general public is encouraged to report negligence by businesses to the IUDC.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Its a drinking den that obtained a restaurant licence to allow it to open.

Typically  they have a deep fryer purchased from Homepro to cook a plate of chips.

That's a ''Bar like Pub''????

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My local market has been closed twice for several days to be cleansed after outbreaks.

Same thing happened on Samui - the reasoning being people need to eat, but it would appear that social distancing does not happen, (impossible to police)  and I believe lots of stallholders are not observing some recommended safety recommendations e.g. cleaning their hands regularly, although they may wear masks, because they can be seen - how can you tell how often a stallholder washes his/her hands during the course of the day? 

Personally, I avoid markets for this very reason, but I do appreciate that people need to eat, and also that people need to make a living, but in a market one should be doubly cautious - you only need to see the numbers when there is an "outbreak". On Samui, we were used to seeing zero daily figures of new cases then suddenly 30+ due to a "cluster" at a local market.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pinot said:

It has been difficult to find anyone to report the positive home tests to. No one answers any of the numbers provided. I'm sure the actual number of cases is far higher than reported. 

If you report yourself there is a chance you will be forced into a quarantine hotel at your expense.

• Like 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

If you report yourself there is a chance you will be forced into a quarantine hotel at your expense.

I know! I just had a 30 minute discussion with the Thai Girl about this. I say screw it we'll just quarantine at home. She going to try and clear up what we have to do but I don't want to do anything. Get a couple of negative tests in 10 days and be done with it. I see no positives about reporting in. We are better, fortunately. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, stephenterry said:

Possibly. From what I've read getting covid may only provide that immunity coverage for 3-6 months. It's like getting a booster, not immunity. We'll know more in coming months. I was due a booster this month following 2 shots of AZ. My wife had 2 shots of sinovac and an AZ booster and still got it. On the plus side, this was more like the flu. Thanks to vaccinations? I don't know. 

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of misinformation post removed

On 1/15/2022 at 10:05 AM, stephenterry said:

You're giving out questionable and incorrect information. Stay in quarantine for 10 days and have two negative tests in a row. Not a few days, Dr. 

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of misinformation post removed

17 minutes ago, Pinot said:

You're giving out questionable and incorrect information. Stay in quarantine for 10 days and have two negative tests in a row. Not a few days, Dr. 

A belt and braces reply, when many countries are reducing the number of quarantined days to allow people to get on with their lives. UK has now reduced to five days. 

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

It has been difficult to find anyone to report the positive home tests to. No one answers any of the numbers provided. I'm sure the actual number of cases is far higher than reported. 

The wife and youngest have just returned after being incarcerated in the Krung Thep Palais for 10 days. Total cost of 106,000 for the wife and 94,000 for the youngest.

Three people shared each room and there is a fee for the room of 3,000 per person per night. Somebody is making money on this together with the cost of the medicine (25.000 per person).

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ArcticFox said:

They all must be closed down.  Only malls are safe. 

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And daily markets... safest place to be.

And the stores like Makro, Big C and Lotus. Those superstores are super safe! 

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Its a drinking den that obtained a restaurant licence to allow it to open.

Typically  they have a deep fryer purchased from Homepro to cook a plate of chips.

And long may they thrive, never could see why COVID only affected people who were drinking and not those who were eating and drinking. 555

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:
2 hours ago, Pinot said:

A chance but NOT a certainty and NOT at your expense.

Here you go @Pinot, all the information you need.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/what-to-do-if-you-test-positive-for-covid-19-in-thailand

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The UK is also ditching 'Plan B' with Covid passports and work-from-home edicts going out the window as well. Probably got NOTHING to do with the British Prime Minister being told by his bosses that he has to be extra nice to the general electorate now that he's been caught, along with many of his ilk, of being deceitful and self serving (again).

Back on topic: drinking in enclosed spaces, especially crowded ones, has ALWAYS been a way to catch colds and flu. Depending on personal hygiene, and what's provided by the pub, one can catch even more. With omicron being four-times as infectious as delta, it's illogical to say that catching a respiratory infection quicker isn't likely to happen in a pub.

That's right.

There's a lot of talking done in bars and pubs, and a lot of talking done in school classrooms.

That's why the both of them are best kept closed for the time being, regardless of the temporary reduction in quality of education or loss of profit for entrepreneurs. 

Talking was banned on the BTS/MRT for the same reason - exhaled air being pushed out in a deliberate and directional manner. 

[would think the masks would help spread that air all around at a reduced velocity and in no particular direction but, guess that's not quite good enough, as evidenced by the recent data]

Edited by OishiRefill