Moderna booster schedule info

Polar Bear

Thanks.

I actually got my Moderna booster at Vihavadi Hospital in Bangkok at 3 months and 1 week.

Both of us we're double vaxxed with Pfeizer.

My friend who joined me was at 4 months.

Nurse did a double take but let us through.

I actually had a bad reaction with terrible aches in my right leg 10 hours later

Bad enough to go to a hospital.  Outpatient with some pain medicine.  I ended up staying 3 extra nights in our Bangkok hotel.

I've a long 10 hours drive home to Issan but I'm feeling good now.

Despite the pain I'm glad I got the booster.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Interesting, looks like they changed Pfizer 2x from 6 months to 5 months, following the U.S. CDC lead.

Thanks for that chart.

FWIW, I did just notice this chart is published by Bumrungrad, which are of course selling Moderna. Private hospitals are probably under no interval restrictions to sell/administer paid Moderna.

AFAIK, the government is still using 6 months, for Pfizer 2X boosters, based on my experience with the mobile phone and QueQ apps. Probably due to demands for those with sino/AZ, and supply constraints?

This is the chart from Bangkok Hospital. Aside from the 5/6 months post Pfizer, it's mostly the same, except they are also giving a timeline for a 2nd Moderna booster. They reference WHO and CDC rather than the Thai gov. 

Guideline การฉีดวัคซีนทางเลือก Moderna

This is MedPark and they also still have 6 m for Moderna after Pfz/Pfz.

271548358_299265182238197_57438746243391

Bangkok H and MedPark are both giving timelines for 2 boosters in some circumstances, but Bumrungrad says there's no recommendation for that at the moment.

Of course, there is no guarantee any of them will follow any of it in practice, but this is what they are advertising.

• Like 1

The MoPH publishes booster info daily (actually multiple postings), in thai, on their FB and Twitter feeds.

There are booster guidance details but I don't really follow them that closely.

And until changes percolate through the system, such that we can make a reservation and receive a booster (rubbers meet road) I don't pay much attention.

Most of the charts published here are generated by private hospitals pedaling Moderna. And they are not really too picky, I can vouch via some first-hand experience.

This photo doesn't look right. After 1 Pfizer, there should be an additional FULL DOSE mRNA shot, not a booster.

It should be noted that a "booster" is not a full shot. It is 50%. I see many using "Third Dose" and "Booster" interchangeably when they are quite different.

As far as I know, those with 2 mRNA full dose shots, are recommended a half-dose mRNA shot (a booster). 

Those with 2 non-mRNA full dose shots are often recommended a full-dose mRNA shot 
However, I also know a few Thais and expats with 2 non-mRNA full dose shots who were recommended 2 full-dose mRNA shots. 

In a Pfizer + Pfizer or Moderna + Moderna situation, they would be the first + second vaccinations in a primary series.
In a Pfizer + Moderna situation (or any vax + Moderna), it would be an incomplete primary series (e.g. Pfizer) followed by a Moderna booster. Vaccines are being mixed and matched as if any combination is a full primary series, but technically, booster is the correct term if the second vaccine is different from the first.

Unless it has changed very recently, Pfizer does not make a distinction between primary and booster vaccinations. They recommend the same dosage for all shots (30 mcg for first, second, third, etc.).  Moderna have authorized a half dose (50 mcg) for a booster (3rd jab), but said a full dose (100 mcg) was more effective. I only know a handful of people who have had a privately purchased Moderna booster so far (3rd jab), and only 2 of them knew the dosage they got (100 mcg in those cases.) But other hospitals here may be providing half doses of Moderna.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:56 AM, TigerandDog said:

Some hospitals are not sticking to the above schedule. My wife had 2 sinopharm jabs and I had 2 AZ jabs. We both received our Moderna booster 2 months after our 2nd jabs. Although I would issue this warning re Moderna booster jabs. Do not do any serious form of exercise for at least 10 days after receiving the booster. I was unaware that exercise soon after the booster could, in some cases, bring on a nasty side effect. 4 days after I had my booster I was participating in the Chiang Rai Road Classic (50km race). At the 40km mark I stopped at a water refill zone and my vision went blurry in one eye and total loss of vison in the other. This lasted for round 1 hour before vision returned to normal. My son also experienced something similar when he went to the gym 2 days after receiving his booster. Like all side effects, not everyone will have them, but this one was rather scary while it lasted.

Did you have any other symptoms prior to the race?

Does anyone know if the private hospitals give a certificate for Moderna shots ?  I would guess they do, but I wonder if this can be used for a Thai government vaccination certificate.

I'm on a tourist visa and getting a booster here.  I wonder what kind of proof I'll be provided with.  My principal reason for getting a booster is the bump in protection but it would also be nice to get recognition that I've had it.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:56 AM, TigerandDog said:

Some hospitals are not sticking to the above schedule. My wife had 2 sinopharm jabs and I had 2 AZ jabs. We both received our Moderna booster 2 months after our 2nd jabs. Although I would issue this warning re Moderna booster jabs. Do not do any serious form of exercise for at least 10 days after receiving the booster. I was unaware that exercise soon after the booster could, in some cases, bring on a nasty side effect. 4 days after I had my booster I was participating in the Chiang Rai Road Classic (50km race). At the 40km mark I stopped at a water refill zone and my vision went blurry in one eye and total loss of vison in the other. This lasted for round 1 hour before vision returned to normal. My son also experienced something similar when he went to the gym 2 days after receiving his booster. Like all side effects, not everyone will have them, but this one was rather scary while it lasted

A few medical websites say exercise all you want without giving much evidence. OTH, Singapore's MOH clearly warns about excessive exercise for 7 days after mRNA vaccines, particularly for the young due to rare heart side effects.  However, vision problems can be caused by transient ischemic attacks, which are similar see here. It might not relate to time between vaccines because vaccines clear from the body before the next dose.

Swimming, cycling, lifting heavy weights should be avoided after Covid-19 jabs: MOH

1 hour ago, secondtime said:

Does anyone know if the private hospitals give a certificate for Moderna shots ?  I would guess they do, but I wonder if this can be used for a Thai government vaccination certificate.

I'm on a tourist visa and getting a booster here.  I wonder what kind of proof I'll be provided with.  My principal reason for getting a booster is the bump in protection but it would also be nice to get recognition that I've had it.

As far as I know, they go in Mor Prom like any other vaccine, so as long as you get your registration information for that (the 13 digit number), you can get a certificate through the app even if they don't give you one.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rabas said:

A few medical websites say exercise all you want without giving much evidence. OTH, Singapore's MOH clearly warns about excessive exercise for 7 days after mRNA vaccines, particularly for the young due to rare heart side effects.  However, vision problems can be caused by transient ischemic attacks, which are similar see here. It might not relate to time between vaccines because vaccines clear from the body before the next dose.

Swimming, cycling, lifting heavy weights should be avoided after Covid-19 jabs: MOH

my son lives in Singapore and he told me about the possible side effects from exercising too soon after getting a booster jab. Unfortunately he didn't tell me until after I told him what had transpired.