Gold buying for investment -

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes, for sure on buying the gold shop... 

the value of gold changes on a daily basis... at least in the world that I journey out into... ?

Currency changes on a daily basis, gold is the constant,

you are really betting on currency changes.

Invest in farmland, if you don't want to work it,

you can rent it, carbon offset it, I'm getting plenty

of offers from development companies

Also there is relief from inheritance tax on working farms.

At least, you'll never go hungry mate.

Gold has been considered a "safe haven"  A spot to buy when there is financial uncertainty.  As a former Trust Officer and Registered Broker with Merrill Lynch I can say that gold is problematic.  

First, what are you buying, from whom, and how do you authenticate it.  Now that you own it, if you hold it physically, where do you store in safely.  Now if you want to sell it where do you sell it, and what steps will the buyer demand to authenticate the gold's authenticity. 

There are plenty of ETF funds that invest in physical gold and they store the gold and have an exchange where you can purchase and liquidate easily.  I would never suggest owning golf and taking personal possession of it.  

Now gold may be a "safe haven" during times of financial uncertainty but as an investment it has never performed as well as a portfolio of stocks.  Stocks in companies, physically produce something while gold does not.  Companies pay dividends and often increase over time, while gold not only doesn't pay a dividend but has costs to safely house. Gold prices work inversely with currency.  When the value of the dollar or EU goes down, the price of gold goes up to compensate for the diminished value of the currency. 

Bottom line, if you want to own gold, do so through an ETF that physically holds the gold.  Limit your ownership to not more than 10% of your investments.  I have owned gold in the past, and have made money doing so.  However I have not owned any since 2008 when the financial crisis hit.  

It is far more prudent to have your money invested in companies like Apple, Microsoft, Pfizer, or JP Morgan Chase that pay you a dividend to hold on to them and physically produce something.  Really owning gold is not different than owning oil, soybeans, or pork belly's.  Gold is a commodity nothing more. 

• Like 2

Gold prices in market take a hard dip as major stock market crash..is that right...? Due to margin calls..happened a bit like that in early 2020 before governments stepped in to avert total crash ?

Is that a general causation from stocks to gold before they both go in different directions..stocks through floor/gold through roof ?

I'd like to catch that dip if its over 5-10 days etc and put funds elsewhere in meantime...

It's the crypto element as well affecting allocation in advance to gold that is eroding old cause and effect relations of gold to other economic indicators I believe.

How about silver that does not fare too well in a crash as it is an industrial metal that has lower demand in downtimes..is that right ?

Edited by freedomnow

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Investment is always about gaining profit, and profit ultimately equals income, even over a long time frame. If you sold an asset for a "big payout" after 10 years, that's income. You have a more limited definitiion of what constitutes income... and that's why I changed the word to "profit" to avoid confusion.

Gold is a non-income (profit) producing asset. It's not an investment which produces profit. In good times people sell it to put their money into income (profit) producing assets. In bad times they buy it to protect against purchasing power loss or permanent loss. If you buy a truck load of gold, hoping it will gain value, that's not investment, but speculation. In real terms (adjusted for inflation) gold today is close to the value of it in 1720. It reached a peak of $3045 back in 1980, and now it's hovering around $1800.

I wish you good luck and hope your gold will reach over $3000 in the near future. Many predict this.

I'm not arguing that buying gold is a bad idea. If I had a lot of spare cash I would buy a lot more. I do trade gold on margin through brokers, but don't own much physical gold.

Investment always about gaining profit for the poor, but for many it's about preservation of capital. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Investment always about gaining profit for the poor, but for many it's about preservation of capital. 

As long as the farce of its value is maintained by traders & govt's, then gold is decent investment / savings.  Personally I think land is best, as supply & demand keeps the value going up, but not something you can exchange easily for cash if needed.  So need some type of liquidity, so gold or cash is good for now .... until it's not ????

I'm prepped for the universal economic collapse of society.  Solar, ev, rain water, live near the coast (fishing), garden, chicken / eggs.  All I need now is gun turrets on the wall.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm prepped for the universal economic collapse of society.  Solar, ev, rain water, live near the coast (fishing), garden, chicken / eggs.  All I need now is gun turrets on the wall.

The gun turrets will only tip off the rampaging freelance militia gangs that you might have something worth protecting. If there is total anarchy, we are all doomed... 

cash, gold, fish, will all have little value... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As long as the farce of its value is maintained by traders & govt's, then gold is decent investment / savings.  Personally I think land is best, as supply & demand keeps the value going up, but not something you can exchange easily for cash if needed.  So need some type of liquidity, so gold or cash is good for now .... until it's not ????

To be clear, I did not mean to imply I though gold was a good vehicle for preserving one's capital, I was only saying that all investments were about gaining profits. 

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The gun turrets will only tip off the rampaging freelance militia gangs that you might have something worth protecting. If there is total anarchy, we are all doomed... 

cash, gold, fish, will all have little value... 

Oh c r a p .... researching house boat now ...  ????

WaterWorld comes to mind.  Dirt will have value.  Honey ... start putting dirt in jars, just in case them global warmers are correct.

Edited by KhunLA

16 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The best way to buy gold in Thailand is in 96.5% bars. You can see here the selection available. GCap produces 1 baht bars too and they should be available in most gold shops... or you could order them online. The local gold shops will likely only have the small denominations.

https://www.gcap.co.th/gcapgold/productgold965.php

It's not really an investment as it doesn't return any income... it's a safe haven asset that will sit in your safe until needed. A lot of fiancial advisors are suggesting the price will skyrocket soon. Soon was 2020, then 2021, and we're still waiting.

A few years ago (2020?) the gold price was 18K, now 28K, so ....

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

To be clear, I did not mean to imply I though gold was a good vehicle for preserving one's capital, I was only saying that all investments were about gaining profits. 

They all only hold or appreciate because of the 'farce of value' given them, by those that hold.  It's all pretty much a scam, and until you know, realize that, and play the game, most lose when investing.  

That farce, fortunately, keeps the world civil, as technically, the world is bankrupt, and money has no value, since backed by nothing but good will.

Now, staying ahead of inflation is a challenge for many.  We have plenty in saving, earning less than inflation.  Any other income, we simply spend, as it's worth more now, than tomorrow or next year.  Unfortunately, most aren't in that positive, and meeting monthly obligations is a challenge, let alone having something extra to save or invest.

That divide seems to be getting wider & wider everyday ... by design.  Just hope I'm not here when 

AllResponsibleJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

Yet, if you have bought gold in a bit earlier in October 2013 you would have lost money (taking into consideration inflation).

Yes, and if my aunt would have had balls she'd have been my uncle. 

Did you factor inflation into your calculations?

No more than the bank does when they claim 1.5% APR on a fixed deposit. 

Can gold drop low again?

Yes.

It took a big dive in February 2020 after the stock market crashed 30%, so it can happen again. 

Come on, you mean it's not going to go up every day I own it?

I agree that if you need to store a lot of gold, one needs a very secure deposit box.

I did not get the safe-deposit box to store gold, but it is a good way to store it. 

A gun pointed at your head is an easy key for home safes.

I don't have a home safe and I carry little case. Someone robs me, all they get is practice. 

You have to hide your safe too.

It always amuses me that people actually use the hotel room safes. I mean, if I'm burglarizing rooms, where's the first place I look? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They all only hold or appreciate because of the 'farce of value' given them, by those that hold.  It's all pretty much a scam, and until you know, realize that, and play the game, most lose when investing.  

So copper is up 500% in ten years because people are buying and holding it? 

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So copper is up 500% in ten years because people are buying and holding it? 

500% ... really.  That's why everyone uses PVC here ????  That and non-Union construction.

Out of the investment game.  Last trade or any investment was over 10 yrs ago.  Actually have 1 parcel of land left in TH, bought @ 120k, listed @ 800k, will take 600k. , maybe, depending on mood ????

I went with RE & markets as a younger lad.  Today, I'd probably go with a Dividend Aristocrats fund, if long term, which I'm too old to bother with, as don't return that much, but constant up at least.  RE still king with me, and only thing I'd invest in, but can't be bothered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Why go to the trouble of replying when this is your opening response is this stupid? The rest was appropriately ignored.

Guess it went over your head. In any event, I don't blame you for using it as an excuse to "appropriately ignore" the rest of the post, all, gun to a knife-fight and whatnot....

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Bingo! Preservation of capital is the main reason for buying gold. It's not an investment, but insurance.

Edited by JensenZ

28 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Go ahead, what is your point? What does it have to do with the recommendation I made for a supplier of gold bullion?

A lot of fiancial advisors are suggesting the price will skyrocket soon. Soon was 2020, then 2021, and we're still waiting.