A quick rundown - taxing and insuring an old (but servicable) motorbike

ohno

I have an old motorbike that hasn't been taxed/insured for over a year.

It has a 2564 sticker on it. Do I now need to pay for a full or part year insurance and tax on this bike? How much should I expect it to cost? I don't know how the system works, a brief explanation would be very helpful ????

Pop down to your local DLT with the green book...

You will need to pay any Tax owed. 

I forgot to pay my Motorcycle Tax last year, just paid double when I taxed it this year, plus a little negligible interest...   It will also need Por-Ror-Bor insurance (the compulsory insurance). 

Depending on the size of the bike the tax and cost of insurance varies: 

Motorcycle Tax will cost 100 Baht (for a smaller bike). 

Por Ror Bor (Compulsory insurance) about 160-645 baht (depending on size / cc of bike)

The existing sticker is 2564 = 2021 - thus you are not a full year out of date.

When you go to the DLT I believe you would pay ±100 baht for road tax + PorRorBor insurance that would take you up to a 2565 (2022) on which ever month of expiry your existing 2564 tax sticker shows.

• Like 1

Many years ago I had an old bike which I didn't use for years and I didn't pay any taxes or insurance. It was standing in the garage. Later I asked how it would be possible to register it again and the shop (Red Baron) told me I have to pay all the tax for the last couple of years. It seems that even works if the bike tax wasn't paid for many years.

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 9:53 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Many years ago I had an old bike which I didn't use for years and I didn't pay any taxes or insurance. It was standing in the garage. Later I asked how it would be possible to register it again and the shop (Red Baron) told me I have to pay all the tax for the last couple of years. It seems that even works if the bike tax wasn't paid for many years.

If I get it right, you used a kind of service company - Red Baron - to do that, correct? How quickly did they provide the sticker and all necessary papers? What service fee did they request? Thanks for your information

53 minutes ago, zarak666 said:

If I get it right, you used a kind of service company - Red Baron - to do that, correct? How quickly did they provide the sticker and all necessary papers? What service fee did they request? Thanks for your information

Red Baron is a big bike shop and service center on the way to Minburi.

I only asked there because they checked another bike. I never used their service.

But I used often the service of Suzuki dealer to pay my taxes each year and if necessary they bring the bike to a place for a check. I think I pay 500B for the service. I don't think it would be more expensive with many years because it's basically the same job.

I suggest just ask in a motorcycle shop which you know and/or near to your home.