Passport expires in April Retirement visa expires in February

Worked here for 10 years before returning to UK.

Have been here 10 years on current UK passport.
Returned twice to UK for short visits the last time 6 years ago.
Have had retirement visa for past 6 years in Khon Kaen province and living at same address.

My current one year ended in December 2021 but my passport expires in April 2022.

I was granted a stay until February as a new retirement visa is not normally issued when there is only 4 or 5 months left before passport expires.

I sent my passport for renew in November and have  only just  been informed that VFS Global sent my visa to UK on 16 January.

What chance have I got of the KK visa office offering a further extension until April when I hope that my new passport has arrived ?

What chance of extension if new passport has not arrived allowing for the fact that I still have money 800,000 in the bank and live at same address and am 75 years old ?

9 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

I was granted a stay until February as a new retirement visa is not normally issued when there is only 4 or 5 months left before passport expires.

You were given a 60 day extension from Dec to Feb? 

Was this a covid extension?

Obtain another covid extension that will cover you through till April. 

Hopefully by then your new pp will arrive.

BTW how long you have been here, same address etc etc has nothing to do with your extentions. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You were given a 60 day extension from Dec to Feb? 

Was this a covid extension?

Obtain another covid extension that will cover you through till April. 

Hopefully by then your new pp will arrive.

BTW how long you have been here, same address etc etc has nothing to do with your extentions. 

OP - Thanks for your prompt response, not sure my current extension was a Covid one think it may have been.
Understand your remarks about bank account etc.

You have to have at least 12 months remaining on your passport when you apply for a new extension of say (not a visa). If not they will only do the extension to the day your passport expires.

Not sure why immigration did not do your extension to the day your passport expires,

It seems they may of only given you a 60 day covid 19 extension when you applied in December.

Did you apply for your new passport yourself at VFS or did you use an agent. Your passport application should of been sent to the UK shortly after you applied if you did it yourself.

1 minute ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP - Thanks for your prompt response, not sure my current extension was a Covid one think it may have been.
Understand your remarks about bank account etc.

You mention money in the bank 800k so your on extensions retirement.

The only 60 day extension for you would have been covid extension.

Obtain another one as I suggested earlier. 

As soon as you obtain your new pp you can obtain your annual extension.

Any follow up on status of your new pp would be useful. 

You can confirm the receipt of your passport online, and can also inform them of your situation, normally I would assume your passport will be back in Thailand by the middle of Feb, hopefully you have a copy and receipt that your PP is in the system and an extension will be forthcoming from immigration. At worst if they want to be differcult, a late renewal fee will be given, A reminder you could have sent your passport up to 6months before it runs out!

7 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

. At worst if they want to be differcult, a late renewal fee will be given,

Dont think they would be being difficult.

They cannot issue extension without passport.

"The cheque is in the mail" won't cut it.

The late fee is 500baht per day overstay.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, phetpeter said:

You can confirm the receipt of your passport online, and can also inform them of your situation, normally I would assume your passport will be back in Thailand by the middle of Feb, hopefully you have a copy and receipt that your PP is in the system and an extension will be forthcoming from immigration. At worst if they want to be differcult, a late renewal fee will be given, A reminder you could have sent your passport up to 6months before it runs out!

Tried finding the online details about my passport but either it didnt work or came with no details
Do you have the online details site ?
Or perhaps my passport is still "on it's way" from Thailand

39 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Tried finding the online details about my passport but either it didnt work or came with no details

I think that is only for passports applied for online in the UK or in countries where it can be done.

It is not available for those applying via VFS here as far as I know.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that is only for passports applied for online in the UK or in countries where it can be done.

It is not available for those applying via VFS here as far as I know.

Thanks ubonjoe, that''s what I think too after many tries

24 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

Find it incredulous that VFS say they only sent passport on Jan 16,

itself a rather spurious date given this was a Sunday. As Joe asked,

did you apply in person or via an agent

OP - via an agent otherwise it means me traveling to Bangkok and the risks with COVID and having to spend hours in a bus or train

The agent says that VFS is a cause known only to itself.

59 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's is too late for the OP but for anyone else reading this thread in a similar position make sure you do your passport renewal well in advance, six months if necessary and also to ensure everything is done as fast as possible use an agent.

The Op's passport expires in April. He sent it for renewal in November which is approximately 6 months.

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

The Op's passport expires in April. He sent it for renewal in November which is approximately 6 months.

From the OP......

"My current one year ended in December 2021 but my passport expires in April 2022"..

He means that his previous permission of stay ended sometime in December and he left applying for pp renewal till November.

Very poor organization. 

He was Fortunate that covid extension was available. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

When you apply at VFS, you have to submit a full copy of all the pages of your passport, which is returned to you, and you hand it in to have a corner cut off when you go to collect the new passport. Your passport has not been sent to the UK, it's in the hands of the agent. You should ask him to confirm that, also ask for proof of when he submitted the application to VFS. It's hard to understand how someone could have sat on the application for two months before it being sent to UK.

The reason for the convoluted system which requires two trips to be made to Bangkok is the UK's slavish and literal interpretation of the Thai law which requires a foreigner to be in  possession of their passport at all times. The agent system proves what a mockery that is.

OP - I have asked the agent to tell me, with proof, when he sent to VFS.  my understanding was that they took to Bangkok.

I have kept 2 full colour copies of my passport for what its worth.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I think it is up to 9 months before.

I don't recall any country having a maximum amount of a passports validity remaining to apply for new one.

Most countries recommend a new passport be applied for prior to the existing one having 6 months of validity remaining.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall any country having a maximum amount of a passports validity remaining to apply for new one.

Most countries recommend a new passport be applied for prior to the existing one having 6 months of validity remaining.

Yes, but you don't get the time added on to the new passport anymore so it is lost. 9 months is a good guide and if the Op had done that in this case he would have avoided this problem. 

22 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

My embassy (Sweden) says on it`s website,that one can apply for a new pp TWO months before it expires...My pp expires in may -23,and my extension is till June -22. Now I read,that it is possible to get an extension till the pp expires,and there after,when I get my new pp,I can get back to the original time of expire,ie June. Is this confirmed and certain ? Or perhaps even go on in the future with the "new" extensiondate,which would be the most easy.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You're renewing a passport and VFS global sent your visa to the UK?

The above is clear as mud and it sounds like you've got the message mixed up.

Looking at the time periods it sounds like they have sent your new passport from the UK to Bangkok on Jan 16th, in which case you should have it next week.

There's no way VFS global sit on a passport application for 2 months before sending it off - it's processed instantly - then it takes 2 months in the UK - then they mail the new passport to Bangkok - if I applied in November I would be expecting the new passport to arrive right around now which lines up with your dates here but this talk of 'visa sent to the uk' adds confusion.

When I renewed my passport last year the above sequence of events happened exactly in the timescales you have and I got my passport about 7 weeks after VFS global processed the application.

Sounds logical, full marks for spotting that! ???? 

42 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

you can renew but will only be valid for 10 years from date of issue

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP - somewhere between here and there wherever that may be.
I assume between VFS and the HMPO ( passport office ) in UK.

where is the one that expires in April, you should have it in your possession

From Australian info regarding passport renewal......

"While you can renew your passport at any time, doing it too early will mean you pay before you really need to".

I  have 4 years and plenty of pages left on my pp.

Going to obtain renewal this year as due to lot of travel it's looking sad and good time to renew with no international travel happening (for me)!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bosse137 said:

Now I read,that it is possible to get an extension till the pp expires,and there after,when I get my new pp,I can get back to the original time of expire,ie June. Is this confirmed and certain ?

If you have a passport that is expiring the extension will only be issued to the day your extension expires.

Then when you get a new passport they will only transfer the stamps and etc to the new one and you will still have the same expiration date for your extension.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The UK used to add on up to 9 unexpired months to the new passport, but stopped that because the EU will not recognise passports that have more than 10 years validity. Apart from that, I'm not sure if there is any maximum. Frequent travellers may fill up their passports well before the expiry date.

Yes, that's right.